Scott Westerfeld Forum

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Swarm  (Read 2055 times)

Ceres

• Orangé Tong
Re: Swarm
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2017, 09:30:49 AM »

I'm now reading Swarm and S o n i a  S o n i c is the best. Stay woke Sonia. Why can't it be her and Ethan instead :P

Also, the Zeroes are kinda morally ambiguous for heroes 0_0 but I guess that's the point

Ceres

• Orangé Tong
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2017, 12:53:59 PM »

I'm kinda shipping Chizara and Kelsie and I'm not sure if the writers want me to? I'm kinda getting that vibe :P

Ceres

• Orangé Tong
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2017, 07:12:28 AM »

Sorry for double posting but
SPOILERS BELOW
WHEN CHIZARA CRASHED THE SHIP SHE ALSO CRASHED THE "SHIP" OF HER AND KELSIE OMG PUNS

Edit: I  F I N I S H E D
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 09:01:39 AM by Catvomitsky »

Chairlegs 2.0

• Wheatley, the idiot.
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2017, 11:50:46 AM »

*Lightly touches forehead with fingertips and closes eyes in clearly pained expression*
Puns are like paper, in the end their both tearable.
Thanks Scott...
People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.
-Asimov

ravenoid-ish

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2017, 01:50:46 PM »

hi sorry for necroposting but i just found out that nexus is coming out within the year and im really freaking excited aaaaaaa
(insert something cute/witty/philosophical here)

Ceres

• Orangé Tong
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2017, 02:12:54 PM »

IS THAT THE NEXT ZEROES BOOK O.O AHHHHH YES

Also please necropost all you want I need people to talk with about this book

ravenoid-ish

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2017, 04:27:48 AM »

Yeah! its on his twitter! im so pumped.... even tho it's gonna be a pretty long wait but like still, can't wait to see how they handle the fact that Nate is totally in jail now,, it's such a funny concept to me, cuz like, it's Nate, but of course its also gonna be heartbreaking and im so ready to see how it's handled

basically im just ready for Nate to get some character development and maybe stop being incredibly creepy all the time, and this seems like a good way to do that

Ceres

• Orangé Tong
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2017, 05:40:19 AM »

Same at the last part, Nate didn't really get to shine as a character other than his creeper moments until the end of Swarm, imo

ravenoid-ish

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2017, 08:13:10 AM »

ye, really hoping they'll give him and Flicker more of a spotlight this time, they're both such shady interesting characters.

also, did u see the tag line for the book? "every power leaves it's mark"... what does that mean, what did they do, i s2g if the zeroes accidentally end the world or something...
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 10:48:38 AM by ravenoid-ish »

Ceres

• Orangé Tong
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2017, 10:53:51 AM »

I haven't seen the tagline :o I should check Scott's blog more often

I hope we get an explanation of why the Zeroes exist and how others are developing their powers. Is it some kind of genetic mutation like the X-Men? Or maybe aliens, like in the Gone series? Or some ancient power awakening, like Scott did in Peeps?

ravenoid-ish

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2017, 11:02:39 AM »

i found the announcement on his twitter, its in this video thing

y e s, that, kinda weird that, 2/3 of the way through the series, we still don't have any explanation for the powers at all other then Nate's best guesses, and even those guesses r kinda off a lot of the time. honestly we don't even know that much about how they work, which is kinda infuriating but eh i guess it adds to the intrigue

I'm thinking that Kelsie's mom might know something about the power origins, or that she'll at least have a big role in this next book. also that congressman that was mentioned in like one line might turn out to be important
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 11:19:21 AM by ravenoid-ish »

Ceres

• Orangé Tong
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2017, 11:31:38 AM »

Yeah, I don't remember what Nate's guesses were but they were just observations and conjecture at best. I'm really curious because for the amount of effort the authors seem to have put into developing the nature of the powers, we still don't have any explanation of why they exist. I suppose there's a reason it hasn't been revealed yet? I hope it is, and it isn't just left unexplained like Scott did with Midnighters. I think it worked okay with that series, but this one is a lot more developed and Scott is a more mature writer now.

Wait, isn't Kelsie's mom dead? And which Congressman, I remember that being mentioned but I forget why.

ravenoid-ish

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2017, 11:44:57 AM »

personally i just really like my lore, so the fact that we get to little in this series is a bit ...frustrating. here's to hoping its handled well, which im sure it will be because this series hasn't let me down yet and it's threatened to a bunch of times

in swarm someone (Nate probably but idr) mentioned this congressman who was pushing for the government to investigate an uptick in crowd hysteria, there's really no huge reason why i thought he could be important i'm just latching on to whatever info im given tbh

kelsie's mom is technically spoilers for the end of the first book? idk ill put it in small text anyway Just In Case, from what i remember Kels thought that her mom was dead but her dad told her that she actually just left because "she was scared of hurting Kelsie" and then the guy went and died before he could explain, it was framed like Kel's mom was a drug addict or something, but it sounds like A Place That The Story Could Go, yknow? again, just speculation on my part
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 11:54:23 AM by ravenoid-ish »

Ceres

• Orangé Tong
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2017, 01:30:25 PM »

Yeah, I enjoy that Zeroes is a more character-based series, but worldbuilding is an essential part of immersion into the story and to have this huge question barely addressed is kind of frustrating. Also, the way the powers seemed to change (mutate? Evolve?) and the ending of Swarm was very confusing, to me anyway. Hopefully the reveal will be satisfying though.

Oh yeah, that. And hm, I actually don't remember the part with Kelsie's mom, just very vaguely. It seems like it could be a part of her character arc, but making the reason for Kelsie's broken family be related to the whole superpowers part seems...idk, disingenuous, but I guess it could go that way. Personally, I hope they don't focus too much on Kelsie's arc in the third book because we got her story in Zeroes; I'd like to see more of the other character's arcs.

ravenoid-ish

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2017, 02:11:37 PM »

all true. and yeah the character development is definetly the main highlight of the series, so i guess a bunch of lore right off the bat would hinder that a bit. the one thing i kinda like about all the lore uncertanty is that you're experiancing it with the characters, they also have no clue whats going on ever, which is kinda cool, but still tho... would it kill u to explain one thing? like just one?

totally see what u mean about Kelsie, honestly im just grasping at straws trying to figure out where this plot is gonna go
Pages: 1 [2] 3