Scott Westerfeld Forum

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Swarm  (Read 2048 times)

Ceres

• Orangé Tong
Re: Swarm
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2017, 02:41:28 PM »

RT @ all of that. I'm just shocked that the kids never question any of it. Like, you have superpowers and you barely question where they came from or try to find others with the same powers outside of you 6? Like, not once do they question if there's some sort of secret superpower school or superpower Internet forum at least? ::)

Yep, honestly no clue. I'm guessing it'll focus on Anon and Nate, and their struggles and the parallels between them. Plus trying to find other Zeroes.

ravenoid-ish

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2017, 02:56:17 PM »

srsly with the internet thing, like r u actually trying to tell me that Nate "Future Tyrant Of The World" Saldana didn't do a thorough google search about his mysterious powers? like not once? Unacceptable. if nexus involves finding other zeroes through the internet in any way im starting a revolt
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 03:02:40 PM by ravenoid-ish »
(insert something cute/witty/philosophical here)

Ceres

• Orangé Tong
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2017, 03:04:41 PM »

Ikr, for a supposedly intelligent, bellwether-y wannabe Machiavellian, Nate really could take a lesson in how to organize a team of superheroes. Step 1: actually get a decent sized group going. Even if he can't actually go out looking for them because of his parents the least he can do is gOoGlE iT

ravenoid-ish

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2017, 03:09:34 PM »

honestly

step 2: maybe don't screw with the emotions and mental states of your child soldiers and manipulate them beyond the point of trusting u? just a thought

really for this Nate bashing btw, pre-inevitable-character-development-Nate deserves it

Ceres

• Orangé Tong
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2017, 03:22:24 PM »

Step 3: Profit
http://stepthreebliss.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/img_9462-e1423246629491.jpg

Tru. I know he means well, for the most part, in the long term...but he intentionally and continually screws with his friends even when he can clearly see it's messing with their heads. I wonder how much of that is just his power getting to his head and how much is his natural tendency

ravenoid-ish

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2017, 03:44:49 PM »

Yeeeaahh, and thats a common theme with all zeroes really. It's more dramatic with nate and swarm, but it's obvious with all the zeroes that powers don't exactly lend well to the growth of like.... a well balanced human person who can live a happy life in society. Which points to some potentially Really Creepy stuff for the origins of these superpowers

Ceres

• Orangé Tong
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2017, 03:50:49 PM »

True. Basically this: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BlessedWithSuck

On the topic of the origin of the superpowers, I was thinking that it's probably not random given how ALL the powers are crowd-based except Ethan's, which seems to be set up as the sort of key to the whole thing. (On that note, why do they always point out Ethan as the odd one out? His power is people-based and has more in common with the rest of theirs than Chizara's, which is technology-based)

ravenoid-ish

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2017, 04:12:56 PM »

Omg cat u have unlocked my secret storage of salt, which should honestly probably wait until I'm not digitally crippled to write cuz I've been trying to reply for like 10 minutes and my phone is being uncooperative, raincheck on this subject,  just know that i agree with u and have a small essay of thoughts/rants about it

Ceres

• Orangé Tong
« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2017, 04:14:34 PM »

YES feed me the salt
And I eagerly await your rant on the subject. Protip if the forum is giving you trouble: write it out in a doc/notes first, then copy and paste it into the reply box.

ravenoid-ish

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2017, 04:22:09 PM »

Yeee that's what im trying,still probably gonna take forever tho, Be Patient for my probably disappointing meta word barf
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 07:26:20 PM by ravenoid-ish »

ravenoid-ish

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2017, 05:13:30 PM »

*Comes in 15 mins like an hour late with Starbucks, unedited, foul mouthed, typo riddled meta(?) ranting that probably doesn't make much sense*

1) all of the yes about the Ethan and Chizara thing. I think that its pointed out with Ethan so much because isolation is kinda the crux of his character, but yes, its completely ridiculous when compared to Chizara, whose power has NOTHING TO DO WITH ANY OF THE ESTABLISHED RULES AND IS COMPARATIVELY WEIRDER THEN THE VOICE. This, leads me to believe that Nate, the authors, and all the other characters in general were being d*cks to Ethan just for the heck of it, as if they were specifically seeking to target the kid's previous insecurities in order to make him blow up the way he did. Of course that makes no sense, why would they do that? For a plot device*, that's why. The worst part is that its such an integral part of the plot at this point that its impossible to point out in canon that everyone was just unilaterally being a d*ck to Ethan for no clear reason without opening up a plot hole

*there were actually other reasons why everyone unilaterally was a d*ck to ethan, and some of them are kinda understandable and some of them aren't so Im not gonna get into it

2) THE SERIES HAS DONE THIS KIND OF THEMATIC F*CKERY BEFORE, on a lesser scale, but it still bugged the heck outta me. Ok so do u remember how in Zeroes 1 they would always compare Nate and Kelsie's powers, but then in Swarm it turned out that it was actually Nate and Anon's powers that were polar opposite? That. That a n n o y e d me so much. Like, ok, imo the whole flipping thing was established as well as it could have been, but its kinda rude to take a concept in your magic system, make it seem like Thing A is an example of that concept, and then turn around and go "lol nah it was totally Thing B" especially when that's really the only thing you've even kind of explained about your magic system thus far

3) CHIZARAS POWER HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH ANY OF THE ESTABLISHED RULES, NOTHING WHATSOEVER, it isnt people based, it shouldn't logically be affected by the curve, the only rule it really follows is the flipping rule, which makes it 1 for 3, which is exactly the same value of "normal power" as Ethan's voice. By all rights, Chizara should be in the same oddball boat as Ethan, but she just isn't at all. Hey Nate, u wanna know what scientists do when they have that many outliers in their data that oppose their conclusions? They RECONSIDER THEIR CONCLUSIONS. Maybe, just maybe, all the "established rules" about the zeroes magic system aren't actually accurate at all, which is also rude because the authors seem to be working really hard to get us To believe them

4) this is why the lack of lore in this series pisses me off so much, because the authors seem to be intentionally causing confusion for... thematic effect? Idrk, but theyre doing it on purpose and theyre doing it to attack me personally and I Will Not Stand For This Discrimination

.... I s2g I legit love this series
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 07:27:48 AM by ravenoid-ish »

Ceres

• Orangé Tong
« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2017, 05:38:59 PM »

This was a helluva lot of fun to read over here at 3:30 after several hours of struggling to cram my textbook but YES I AGREE WITH ALL OF THAT (especially #3, the story really reaches to make us buy the explanation even tho Chizara's power totally flies in the face of those rules) Some of that had occurred to me before but a lot of it I hadn't even thought of, wow.
It seems that the authors are making up the rules as they go along to suit character points and the plot as needed, but are kinda forgetting about internal consistency. Which tbh sounds like most superhero comics and movie series but that's more understandable since those are long-running things that change and develop organically over spans of years, and this is just one trilogy of books that's supposed to be more or less planned. But it's not over yet, so maybe there'll be an explanation that will tie it all together. Or maybe the explanation will be that it's totally random and meaningless and all of Nate's theories are wrong and that'll take him down a peg or two

ravenoid-ish

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2017, 05:48:18 PM »

U poor thing, I'm glad my over analytical bull gave u joy

Yeah, for all of the things this series does really well, it does this really really badly, and once u pick at it even a little the whole thing falls apart, guess u can't have it all. theres also the fact that literally every character in this book is an unreliable narrarator, so there's kinda a good reason for it, but not really

Can't decide which outcome I'd enjoy better honestly, so just, Yes to all of the above.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 12:03:35 PM by ravenoid-ish »
Pages: 1 2 [3]