Scott Westerfeld Forum

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: The Sole Survivor Society  (Read 1107 times)

Time Blitz

Re: The Sole Survivor Society
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2017, 09:27:59 AM »

hello it's me again! :D I kinda want to do this...

GreyCaboose

• lIKE ZOINKS SCOOB
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2017, 09:37:30 AM »

Hi!! What kind of character are you thinking of doing?

Well obviously a bit more hardened, from fighting a civil war on her planet and a better description of her too :D

Hmm, I suppose - To be honest it was her physical description that set me off the most, since it seemed like she looked very human and that was something I wanted to avoid. Maybe also modify her name, since it seems odd to me to have an alien character with a name from a human language, if that makes sense - Although I don't want to sound too pushy! Other than that, I guess that she could work! ^v^
pull the trigger, piglet,

Time Blitz

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2017, 10:24:45 AM »

Something not remotely human most likely.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 10:35:28 AM by Germinaro »

GreyCaboose

• lIKE ZOINKS SCOOB
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2017, 10:44:05 AM »

Alright! I guess here I'll lay down some ground rules about the aliens:

While they shouldn't look too human, I also don't want anything looking too non-human. A healthy in-between.
Too Human: Human with differently colored skin/hair, maybe another trait or two changed but other than that it just looks human
Too Inhuman: A 500-foot-tall alien dragon, or like, a squid or ball of light, or anything that's just...too far.

Also I really do want originality here, for people to be able to work with limitations and create something cool! The language of the aliens, the planets, the culture, this is all stuff I want you to be original with!!

Time Blitz

« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2017, 10:55:47 AM »

How about a small hovertank with the ability to mimic/shapeshift into other life?

That's not human and it's definitely no 500 ft dragon

GreyCaboose

• lIKE ZOINKS SCOOB
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2017, 11:07:46 AM »

I'm sorry, but I don't think a tank will work for the following reasons

- While highly original here, I notice a lot of your characters or character concepts/characters you've wanted to make are sentient tanks or tanks with some sort of twist. I'm not sure how I feel about that, though I'm really not trying to be rude! I've never seen tank characters anywhere else non-forum-wise, it just seems like it shows up a lot here on the forum.
- A hovertank wouldn't exactly be a species here. It's a hovertank. The whole point of this RP is about characters who're the last of a species, and I feel like an alien race of shapeshifting space tanks would just seem very out of place and odd.
- While I have no issues with metal-based aliens, an alien who is seriously just literally a tank is pushing it. It's too inhuman, even with shapeshifting. I specified that I do want them to appear somewhat human for simplicity, and I don't count alternate/shifted forms as the human part.

Alternatives/Modifications I suggest:

- A metal-based humanoid alien with the ability to shapeshift into a hovertank form, though not permanently.
- An alien with a hovertank

Time Blitz

« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2017, 11:08:35 AM »

That's a bummer. Getting rejected after i decide to come back...

GreyCaboose

• lIKE ZOINKS SCOOB
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2017, 11:10:59 AM »

I'm not rejecting you! I just told you you pushed the limits of the RP too far and I gave you alternative suggestions!

EloiseNagel

• God bless us, everyone!
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2017, 04:06:24 PM »

No worries Grey, Blitz does this all the time:/
I'm almost done with my character sheet!
Resident Angel-type Pokémon

EloiseNagel

« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2017, 09:53:34 AM »

Inhabited Planets: LiXrakar and LiXela (use the 'x' like a 'sh') they are moons of an in hospitable planet called Xinulaj, where the  atmosphere itself is super poisonus.
Planetary Status: Burned and polluted and war-ravaged
Physical Characteristics: Skin is very geko-like, speckled and ranging from black as coal to white as snow with varying shades of grey in between, the darker the skin, the lighter the specks. Four fingers ending in larger nods, and yes as a geko these are used to grab tight to surfaces. Eyes vary in colors but the color takes up the whole eye, eyes in adults usually are about a foot-long and oval in shape, with three smaller eyes in between. Teeth are sharp and retractable and to speak the language civil is without teeth. But language of war is harsher and with teeth out. No lips and much like gekos, if it is something bigger, they kinda gum it down. Two arms and two legs, leg and torso are of human-like proportions but the arms are long enough where the finger-tips reach the knee while standing. Have hair but that is incredibly thick (each hair strand is about as thick as a human pinky.) Which is worn down for the women and in a braid for the men. As they age it goes from the normal black or white, to clear. The women are very thin but have very wide hips for laying eggs and the men have smaller hips but are larger and wider for more muscle-mass (origanally to protect the nests) When civilization developed more they took on a chinese-esque clothe-style. (for two time capsules the japenese sent into space at the start of the human "space-age", but for the lack of technology they couldn't really respond to said 'message') They use a lot of black, white, and golds)
Abilities: They have an inate connection with light and dark and an ability to use these forces to their advantage. Not everybody has this power and nobody can control both light and dark, it would create a conflict in their body's chemistry.
Any Interesting Culture From This Species?: It is a culture very oriental in nature, where the two capsules are given to the emperors of the two planets and were considered very sacred, baisically for helping the planets make a huge leap in technology, and helping them connect with each other. Acording to the both planets Xinulaj (translated meaning dark,Xi, and light, nulaj) is kindof like their afterlife. So they send their dearly departed to said planet where the ship and body are corroded away by the corrosive gases found in the planet's air.   
How Did They Get Wiped Out?: Tichuka, a rebelious dark-essence wielder, started a rebellion of 'magic' users against the 'tech' users. Tichuka had a theory that the planet contained the secret to controlling both dark and light energies, but the science department of both moons denied the research, thus driving him to do what he did. Most of the people who joined his side were either religious radicals or power hungry 'magi'. The war split both moons into war ravaged hells. Those with money tried to escape, but the air space was crowded so they were killed in the crossfire. Tichuka and both emperors were killed in the process. Total survivors, 12, 6 children (1 died 3 days away from the planet, and the other five died off one by one from breathing problems and shock. and 3 women (1 died from blood loss, the other 2 have massive PTSD), 2 old men(them struck badly with PTSDas well.), and one young lady, and the only magi left who didn't join the rebellion.   

GreyCaboose

• lIKE ZOINKS SCOOB
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2017, 11:21:25 AM »

Oooh, nice!!

EloiseNagel

« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2017, 12:30:55 PM »

Thanks! I just gotta get my character done :D

GreyCaboose

• lIKE ZOINKS SCOOB
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2017, 12:34:09 PM »

Alright~

EloiseNagel

« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2017, 01:38:13 AM »

Name: Nulaj Qaxin
Species: Xeekaien
Home Planet:LiXela
Appearance:Her hair is raven dark and her skin is palish grey with inklike speckles on her face and shoulders. Her large oval eyes are completely golden yellow with a tiny glowing pupil visible (for her connection with light). She wears a slightly charred white mage's robe (kinda looks like a monk's robe but with oriental designs embroidered onto the sleeves, and hood.) her feet are bare. 
Personality:She is a pacifist by nature and tries to help everyone she can. But when situation requires she can get very cold and calculated, which is how she's kinda stayed since she made in to the refugee camp. Usually though any child/small creature/other cute can melt her heart and help her toothless smile come out (it's not too scary, it's like newborn baby smile cute.)
How Did They Survive?: She was sent to the light mage monk embassy when she was just 9yrs old. (sorry forgot o mention that a life span of a xeekaien is 150 human years). There she stayed learning the healing properties of light, while a few others learned light combat. The light mage embassy was the last to be hit by combat, the embassy took on nobody's side thus becoming a target for everyone (the location of the embassy made it very valuable for a fort for one the apposing sides) She hid in one of the very few paic rooms with two other women. By luck, nobody revealed that there was a panic room and they stayed in there for three days and nights. When everything was quiet they made their way out, and seeing that there was nobody left but a couple of the elders and a few very ill children, the two women went kinda nuts. Luckily from her medical training, Nulaj could keep her head and help them into a ship and out into space. The ship was later found by the SSS.   
Abilities: She can use light to heal others of mental and physical illnesses. She MUST use natural uv rays to heal. So if she is confined in a place with only artificial lighting, she can't do anything.
(sorry I took so long to write it)

GreyCaboose

• lIKE ZOINKS SCOOB
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2017, 11:26:32 PM »

Awesome!!!
Pages: 1 [2] 3