Scott Westerfeld Forum

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Nexus?  (Read 1447 times)

Ceres

• nothing nkight
Re: Nexus?
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2018, 08:35:46 AM »

I will make that list but I just realized something: The book says Chizara made everyone's cars go dead, but the traffic lights kept working for 30 seconds. But like...what about people who had electric cars, with electric steering? They'd keep going in the same direction they were moving at the instant of the power outage. So just screw those people I guess, they can just can drive into a stop sign or whatever and crash

And yas, I'm excited

ravenoid-ish

• \_(ツ)_/
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2018, 11:19:47 AM »

Lol i assume they meant like, all cars even the electric ones, but Chizara's powers have never really made any sense
BOTTOM TEXT

Ceres

• nothing nkight
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2018, 12:22:49 PM »

O yeah I just meant that if an electric car with electric steering "goes dead" then you can't steer it and will probably crash (Ayy) but yeah agreed, her powers make the least sense

ravenoid-ish

• \_(ツ)_/
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2018, 12:26:54 PM »

O I dont know how electric cars work, that's hilarious tho

her powers make the least sense
Lol u think it's bad now, just wait
BOTTOM TEXT

Ceres

• nothing nkight
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2018, 08:55:16 AM »

Okay re Chizara's powers...apparently she just has general electromagnetic powers? And I guess her stopping the flow of electricity in people's brains isn't a level up from doing that in machines? I'm willing to buy that for now, but that has absolutely nothing to do with the Curve and is even more different from the others than Ethan's powers.

In other news this is super exciting so far but whyyyyy are they dragging Anon back into this mess and tracking him? It's good that he didn't die and all but going on a suicide mission isn't much better >_>

ravenoid-ish

• \_(ツ)_/
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2018, 11:47:24 AM »

just wait

lol yeah poor Anon, let the man rest
BOTTOM TEXT

Ceres

• nothing nkight
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2018, 11:49:27 AM »

I'm still holding out hope for them to reintroduce the Ethanonymous friendship but now it seems like they're pushing the Nate/Anon connection and idk how I feel about that

Ceres

• nothing nkight
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2018, 12:26:02 PM »

MAJOR SPOILERS AHEAD

So I just got to the part where Piper explains - conjectures, really - what their powers are and............wtf. This makes no mcfreakin sense. And her plan makes even less sense. Maybe they'll clarify more later but my wtfery meters are off the charts right now

ravenoid-ish

• \_(ツ)_/
« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2018, 12:32:14 PM »

dfkghoshdv god. yeah theres... theres really no way around the fact that her explanation was fucking stupid. like straight up no other way to put that. and just so u never get ur hopes up there is never any clarification on that specific point. never. its just that ONE FUCKING LINE. i dont fucking know what the thought process behind that was but they somehow found the worst possible answer to the power origins question, its stunning.

at this point it starts getting weird so um buckle in
BOTTOM TEXT

Ceres

• nothing nkight
« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2018, 12:48:51 PM »

Well uh. Shit. I was really hoping for something more than a logically inconsistent tinfoil hat theory but k I guess not. I'm still holding out a shred of hope for an explanation of the powers though, because they still have to explain why Scam is an anomaly. But tbh I feel like that's not gonna make any sense either.

Also she hasn't even revealed the third part of the plan yet but wtf @ the first two parts. Most the second part. For all her rambling about digital connectedness and whatever, she seems to be totally clued out about the fact that currency is more than bits of paper, it's electronic too. And the Coin power also made Super Bowl tickets out of paper, so it doesn't just apply to money? So broadcasting that power would make people stop assigning value to...anything? Everything? Unless he specifically intends for it to be money, but in that case....what money? U.S. dollars? Any paper money? The concept of money in general? What about cultural differences in what money is? What about just like...the concept of value itself? Will people look at the price of something on Amazon and not be able to process the numbers or their relationship to the value of an object? And why did Piper think that that would solve anything? That's like....the worst idea in the history of ideas, like as bad as every single one of Ethan's choices combined

ravenoid-ish

• \_(ツ)_/
« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2018, 01:05:46 PM »

:)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

yeah i guess the main point of that would be to shake up society so thoroughly that she and her faction were the only ones with any control of anything, which like, k. it was written intentionally to be stupid, you'll see more of that later, but yeah glaring failure of logic is glaring and really pushing suspension of disbelief. its *~*~communism~*~* i guess. on one hand i can see how she came to the conclusions that she did, and on the other hand like... has she literally ever sat thru a history class?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 01:35:50 PM by ravenoid-ish »
BOTTOM TEXT

Ceres

• nothing nkight
« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2018, 01:15:17 PM »

That emoji and those parentheses are so ominous 0_0

Or a psychology class...or an economics class...or a sociology class. She probably charmed her way out of having to actually try in school I guess, and her Bellwether power bloated her ego so much that she never had to actually think about 1) whether her plan was logical or 2) the effect it would have on other people. But still, for someone who's demonstrated intelligence and planning ability it is kinda ridiculous

ravenoid-ish

• \_(ツ)_/
« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2018, 01:38:36 PM »

damn forgot this site does that automatically, changed it to have the proper effect

yeah its weird. love her as a character, but it would have been nice if her plan wasn't just a giant logical fallacy.
BOTTOM TEXT

Ceres

• nothing nkight
« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2018, 02:27:26 PM »

I just got to the end of that chapter where that thing happens so no spoilers for now but of fucking course Ethan is the one to cause the apocalypse by falling on a big red button. You fool.
*Dumb Ways to Die plays in the background*

Ceres

• nothing nkight
« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2018, 02:45:01 PM »

Ok so I finished it and uh.

Edit: OK RANT TIME this is going to be so disorganized
1) Til the last paragraph I was holding out hope for an explanation of the whole Ethan thing but. Welp. That never happened. That uh...never happened. That's really all I have to say on that, I think I've made my point.
2) So after all the shitting on Nate and Anon for killing Swarm and just all the buildup for the "don't kill people" part are we really gonna ignore the fact that both Chizara and Kelsie killed people? For both of them that was the last thing we ever read inside their heads. And that was all the emotional consequences we ever got on that. Like. What. Ok Chizara I can kind of handwave because she was trying to stop Piper and her evil plan EVEN THOUGH THE BUTTON GOT PUSHED ANYWAY SO THE DEATH WAS KIND OF POINTLESS AND EVEN IN THE MOMENT WHEN CHIZARA DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POINTLESS SHE SAID SHE FELT LIKE A DEMON.
3) Anyway, even without that...Kelsie/Swarm just...killed that guy.....ripped him to pieces. What the fuck. What the actual frickety frack was that. She just chose that guy, a fellow Zero, to "sacrifice" and then used her Swarm power to rip his flesh apart in some sort of cannabalistic hive mind ritual. And then she went and broadcasted love and good vibes to the world and the fact that she just killed a kid had absolutely no effect on anything. And she felt like 2% shaken up about it for two seconds. I'm sorry but I'm calling bs on this one. This might actually be my biggest Qualm.
4) For that matter, the last thing we read in Nate's head was that he got conked out and then looked up and felt proud that one of his minions was 1/3 of the new world order. That's...really creepy tbh. Nate was really creepy in this book.
5) I was So Ready to read about how Verity and Piper apparently were carrying on some sort of illicit thing and why Verity wanted to protect Piper and why Phan wanted to protect Verity and what Verity's actual name was, and how she felt about her power broadcast around the world and making her apparently traumatizing childhood a reality for everyone  but none of that was ever explained further. It was just...dropped. And for that matter, what happened to Phan? They were so good and I wanna know more about them dangit
6) Yknow I'd rant about the consequences of a world that allows kids with these dangerous-ass powers that have the power to kill people to practice them freely, especially when it's already been established that the kids with said powers kinda fuck up everything when they use them, but that was almost a literal footnote in the book so I'm not gonna get into it.
7) Nice bookending with the "more coffee" thing and the diner. Except this time Ethan has Sonia Sonic with him. And he's like the little mermaid now. I'm still up in the air about all this omniscient infodump at the end, but I'm so here for him and Sonia getting coffee tbh

I'll probably rant more later when I think of more to say
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 03:24:32 PM by Ceres »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4