Scott Westerfeld Forum

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Nexus?  (Read 1860 times)

Ceres

• nothing nkight
Re: Nexus?
« Reply #45 on: March 05, 2018, 03:41:58 AM »

I had a dream about Zeroes and most of it was just nonsense but there was this part where this old lady captured Ethan and said that if he told her everything about the Zero powers, she'd help him escape, so the voice just expositioned away everything tHE ACTUAL BOOK NEVER DID, and it got me thinking: if the voice is omniscient - and we know that it is - why couldn't he just do that? Like, when Nate was asking questions about the origin of the powers or literally anything, why couldn't Ethan think gee, I want this guy to shut up and get his answers so we can all go home and then voila?

churchenbells

• excuse me?
« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2018, 11:00:54 AM »

Like, when Nate was asking questions about the origin of the powers or literally anything, why couldn't Ethan think gee, I want this guy to shut up and get his answers so we can all go home and then voila?
Honestly I always just assumed it would be because there would be no way to verify that the voice was actually telling the truth, and not just saying something believable to make Nate shut up.
how does this??

Ceres

• nothing nkight
« Reply #47 on: March 19, 2018, 11:15:56 AM »

True, as long as Nate believed it he’d shut up...but for that matter, what reason did Ethan have (before the end) to believe the voice was omniscient? It could’ve been saying that just to scare Verity

FirelordAzula

• I'll show you lightning!
« Reply #48 on: April 05, 2018, 01:40:38 AM »

Well, I finally have time and got over here. Let's start by saying that, while there are certainly issues, I'm pretty sure that overall I liked Nexus okay. Feel free to rant, and I'll likely agree with you, but overall impression was positive.

Thoughts:
1) Yeah, one of my biggest issues was, as someone else mentioned, that Kelsie swarm-killed someone with basically no response or pay-off at the end. I mean, it was about the most pointless thing ever. Why was that even there??? Chizara's murder at least had a point/plot relevance...

2) I gotta admit, the authors constructed the whole three books worth of Ethan in such a way that my response to him literally tripping and falling on the big red button of doom was basically "Yep, I believe that." So, kudos, you properly built up what a complete mess of a human being that kid is.

3) Was the worldbuilding/lore incredibly sparse? Yes. Was it outright contradictory and/or nonsensical when we DID get any info? Yes. Do I much care? Not really, apart from Chizara being so very weird compared to literally EVERYTHING else. So, everyone can decide for themselves how to feel about it, but I guess I just put up with a lot. (It helps that I basically think of everything from Nate and Piper as "Here's what they think, but honestly they're just guessing so don't take it too seriously"). With that somewhat dismissed, I can just about accept that everything is how it is just because.

4) I should confess that the names for everyone in my head tend to default to Nate, Flicker, Anon, Kelsie, Chizara, and Scam unless I'm intentionally using their codenames or actual names. This happen to anyone else?

5) Nate pretty much never got over his creeper tendencies, did he? Not that I'm complaining much, but I was kinda hoping he could try and get better about that.

6) I was unduly distracted for about half of Nexus by Piper's name. Anyone who's read Heroes of Olympus understands my trouble.

7) Count me in on being disappointed that the Ethan and Thibault friendship was more or less shoved aside after Zeroes. They were pretty fun together and actually got along, unlike lots of the other pairs of zeroes.

8) Petty note, but according to my count on first read, of the 4 f-bombs in the book, Flicker got to say 3 of them. This greatly amused me.

And 9) was I the only one who really wanted Ethan's sister (Jess?) to come back? Cause I really liked what we saw of her before. Any of the other family members of the main squad would have been nice too, they need more page-time.
Westerforum Resident Thing-Starter!

Wielder of the Staff of Sanity Transfer, Official Peep of the Bloodbath, Watcher of Too Much Anime and Buffy, Lord of the Fire Nation, Amateur Player of Banjo, Book-Obsessed Teenager~yep, that's me.

Don't make me hungry. You wouldn't like me when I'm hungry.

churchenbells

• excuse me?
« Reply #49 on: April 13, 2018, 12:37:30 PM »

And 9) was I the only one who really wanted Ethan's sister (Jess?) to come back? Cause I really liked what we saw of her before. Any of the other family members of the main squad would have been nice too, they need more page-time.

Same here! I honestly loved all the families so much it broke my heart that we hardly ever saw them again, especially Nate and Ethan's sisters!
how does this??

Ghost44

• bite me
« Reply #50 on: August 03, 2018, 05:31:36 PM »

Wow. I do not know how to feel about the ending. I was totally on board with everything that was happening until the final showdown actually started. So much was just thrown out the window and then we get no real pay off other than a few words about each character's future. I am actually incredibly disappointed in how it ended (partly because I had convinced myself I already knew how it was going to end - Chizara was somehow going to make it so the Nexus erased all the Zero power from the world [which would have solved a lot of our characters' problems]). I am just really disappointed that we didn't get any real meaningful closure to the events that happened leading up to the Nexus going off. Kelsie and Chizara both killing someone?! No worries, they're fine and do great things moving forward. Ethan becomes God but cannot talk? It's just too much with too little. I've absolutely loved the series and how each book built to bigger and 'better' things, but the last 30 pages of Nexus kind of sucked.
*Insert funny/silly saying here*

Ceres

• nothing nkight
« Reply #51 on: August 03, 2018, 05:51:43 PM »

YES my thoughts exactly (I just realized I never replied to the previous post but I was sure I did?). It was one of those bizarre endings that comes right tf out of nowhere and doesn’t resolve any of the character arcs taking place. Honestly for me the last third of Nexus was kind of...going off the tracks into an inevitable ending like that but. Yeah. Chizara erasing the powers would’ve been a great ending that I didn’t even think of :o

Ghost44

• bite me
« Reply #52 on: August 03, 2018, 05:55:42 PM »

I liked the idea of them all becoming normal and just settling into normal lives, no one dying. Piper having to be normal and hating it. But noooooooOOOOOoooooo. They had to go and blow everything up literally and resolve nothing.

This is like the only book ending I have ever not liked.

Ghost44

• bite me
« Reply #53 on: August 03, 2018, 05:56:09 PM »

And Zeroes, Swarm and the first half of Nexus were so so so good.

Ceres

• nothing nkight
« Reply #54 on: August 03, 2018, 09:52:47 PM »

Actually that would’ve been the perfect resolution. Now that you mention it I’m mad that it didn’t happen...it would’ve been a much more mature and satisfying ending. Like, I don’t buy that a world with people with these powers who basically have unlimited power wouldn’t be some sort of nightmarish dystopia instead of the peachy world Ethan predicted...but idk mang. Also wtf was up with Ethan’s powers, I really wanted to know more about that. Is Ethan’s voice God? Is it the metanarrative voice of Scott Westerfeld and the writers themselves?

Ghost44

• bite me
« Reply #55 on: August 04, 2018, 11:45:46 AM »

Ethan became fully omniscient, but lost his ability to speak. He basically got full control over his Voice but at the cost of never being able to say a thing.

ChaoticRhymer

« Reply #56 on: August 04, 2018, 11:56:23 AM »

That must suck.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Ghost44

• bite me
« Reply #57 on: August 04, 2018, 12:16:51 PM »

It's stupid. It's a stupid end.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]