Scott Westerfeld Forum

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: The Balance Shifts  (Read 1306 times)

|ĸιrα|

• ᴴᵃᵛᵉ ᶜᵒᵘʳᵃᵍᵉ ᵃᶰᵈ ᵇᵉ ᵏᶤᶰᵈ
The Balance Shifts
« on: February 23, 2018, 05:12:02 PM »

"It is evil things we shall be fighting against; brute force, bad faith, injustice, oppression, and persecution."
British Prime Minister Neville Chamberlain, 1939

The year is 1942.
An all-encompassing war rages from the Pacific Islands to the Western World, leaving no one spared from the turmoil. 30 countries. 100 million people involved. New technology makes this unlike any war the world had ever seen, even more earth-shaking than the first World War - the war to end all wars.
This war marks some of the greatest horrors unleashed on humanity - massacres, genocide, starvation, disease, and the first use of nuclear weapons.
The year is 1942.
Everything I've previously said, you don't know of. All you know is that the world is in turmoil, and you will do what you can to maintain what humanity you have - whatever that may be. France has been torn apart by invaders, London is crumbling under blitzkrieg tactics. Eastern Europe has been reshaped by dictators, moving to the West and threatening Democracy.
What will you do?

PLEASE READ ALL OF THIS BEFORE RESPONDING THAT YOU WANT TO JOIN
WOO hey whatsup.
As some of you might know, I'm a history student and I live for learning about WW1 and WW2 (forgive me because my WW1 knowledge is a little bit sharper than WW2) and after hearing a remarkable woman speak about her experiences as a French-Jew living in German-Occupied France and then going on to become a spy that basically made it possible for the Allies to invade Germany, I was feeling a little inspired. So here we have this!
BUT. I have somewhat of a specific vision for this.
THIS IS NOT A MILITARY ROLEPLAY
I'm not sure really how to make that clearer, but this is not a military roleplay. Yes, the military will be a big part of it. That will not be all of it. My vision is to create a narrative of WW2 and the experiences of some of the people that lived through this period of world history. I don't want anything specific about weaponry, military tactics, etc. That's not the point and not all of us are keen on getting a major history lesson in our roleplaying experiences. I don't want to read through paragraphs and paragraphs about Patton and Eisenhower. I get enough of that in my classes. Create real characters that have real experiences.
This roleplay will take place in Europe. Although I do love stories of the War in the Pacific, let's face it, more people are interested in the European part of the war. So let's make our narrative around that!
This next part is very important, because there will be rules for this roleplay outside of the typical forum rules.

RULES
1. I would prefer all the characters to be part of the Allied powers if they're going to be in the military (civilian characters can be part of either side, but tread lightly with this. No Nazi sympathizers). If you need to create someone that's on the Axis side to move things along, talk to me about it first but I want to focus on the Allies.
2. No Nazis.
3. I don't want to go into the Holocaust in this too much. While I'm also very interested in Holocaust history, I feel this topic is too sensitive to include in a roleplay and requires copious amounts of research to be done right and even then, as someone who is not Jewish, I don't feel comfortable including that and I imagine others would feel the same way. The history of the Holocaust should be respected and written in a way that I don't think a roleplay can quite cover in an eloquent way.
4. Again, don't be too technical. Not all of us are military history enthusiasts. You can respectfully correct people on historical inaccuracies, but in the grand scheme of things it's a roleplay so does it really matter?

If you can't comply to any of those, don't join please. And if you do join and then don't comply, I'm going to ask you to change what you're doing or leave the roleplay and I won't ask twice.
If you're a WW2 expert, please join. If you're a WW2 noob, please join. It's gonna be DOPE. I want this to be FUN. I love history and I think it's cool to explore it through characters, so please take free rein with this!
If you've read all of that put Purple Cow in your response asking to join!

Where there is goodness, there is magic

|ĸιrα|

Re: The Balance Shifts
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2018, 05:12:38 PM »

Forum glitch post

LittleK

• On a le pouvoir de s'aimer, okay?
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2018, 08:30:17 PM »

Luckily before I left high school I had to do in depth ww2 research :p
You're filled with determination

Imperial Star Destroyer

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2018, 12:33:04 AM »

WW2 is my history specialty. Would it be possible to have a honorable U-boat captain who had to retire becaue of injury sustained in prior combat, and he still has to adjust to civilian life?
Anyone need a planet glassed?

ChaoticRhymer

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2018, 01:28:05 AM »

Purple Cow. I'm in.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

|ĸιrα|

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2018, 01:30:42 AM »

Purple Cow. I'm in.
Lmao you were the first to do it right so yes you're good

WW2 is my history specialty. Would it be possible to have a honorable U-boat captain who had to retire becaue of injury sustained in prior combat, and he still has to adjust to civilian life?
No, I'd rather not. If they're going to be in the military at all I want it to be the Allies. Please reread the entire thing as well because you missed something also.

Luckily before I left high school I had to do in depth ww2 research :p

Can you reread the whole thing and do the one thing I asked por favor? Thank yoooou

ChaoticRhymer

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2018, 01:46:10 AM »

👌
Now to decide on a character....
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

BlueberryDoughnut

• Knife Wife, Keeper of the Holy Bun
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2018, 01:58:33 AM »

I'm in if you'll have me. Also, purple cows are my favorite animal. Have I ever told you that? They're beautiful.
Climb these hills, I'm reaching for the heights
And chasing all the lights that shine
And when they let you down, you'll get up off the ground
Morning rolls around and it's another day of sun

~ La La Land ~

|ĸιrα|

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2018, 02:00:17 AM »

YES yay

LittleK

• On a le pouvoir de s'aimer, okay?
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2018, 06:49:20 AM »

Just call me derpy

There is a shop called the purple cow and they make awesome milkshakes :p
You're filled with determination

|ĸιrα|

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2018, 07:17:04 AM »

Yay cool! Just realized i needa make a charrie card lmao will be up shortly

|ĸιrα|

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2018, 07:36:24 AM »

CARD. Just a side note, I want to keep the characters a bit younger to fit our own age group because it's like way easier to play them that way so keep it from 16/17-25ish please! You can absolutely have more than one character, as well. It's actually encouraged because this will be easier with more characters, I think.
ALSO we should probably decide on a specific place for this to start in. I was thinking we could start off in London with everyone's characters being there, and then as the roleplay moves along we can branch off and have some go to the front lines and others go elsewhere and blah blah blah. Yanno. Yeahh. Okay cool.

Name:
Home Country:
Position (if in the military):
Background:
Other:

ChaoticRhymer

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2018, 01:11:00 PM »

Name: Sean Wallace.
Appearance: Shortish, broad shouldered with blond hair and grey eyes.
Home country: Canada.
Position in the Military: Pilot Officer.
Background: Sean grew up on a farm near Toronto, and volunteered when Canada entered the war.
Other: Is the second of four children.

Name: Margaret (Maggie, Mags) Brookes.
Appearance: Short, petite looking, with red hair and blue eyes.
Home Country: England.
Background: Raised in a rather bohiemian environment, Maggie is the only child of a London newspaper reporter, and an artist.
Other: She needs glasses to read, and works at a cafe.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 03:39:20 PM by The Primal Song Continues »

|ĸιrα|

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2018, 03:06:57 PM »

Name: Lucy Prescott
Appearance: Blonde hair, styled in the curls of the time and large hazel eyes. She has an oval-shaped face and plump lips, with freckles brushing across her nose and cheeks. She's relatively average height, about 5'5" and relatively plain.
Home Country: America
Position (if in the military): In the Army Nurse Corps
Background: She was studying medicine when the States finally declared war, and she immediately went to become a nurse for the war effort and was sent to Europe to help on the front lines.
Other: She loves to sing and often does so to raise the soldiers' spirits.

Name: Brendan Connolly
Appearance: dark brown hair and bright blue eyes set under thick brows. He has slightly ruddy cheeks and a big smile, which he's often wearing. Average build and height.
Home Country: Ireland
Position (if in the military): Pilot of the Royal Air Force
Background: I don't want to play a frenchman so I've made him an irishman
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 06:07:15 AM by |ĸιrα| »

Julia The Bookworm

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2018, 07:38:22 AM »

Purple cow, do you have a specific civilian to military ratio in mind? I know you said you wanted a focus everyday life, but are you going to have a character limit? Also, can we play  characters that are part of minority groups?  ( EX. LGBT,  characters that aren't Caucasian,  characters with disabilities, ect?) I understand they were targeted during the war too so I wasn't sure if that would be acceptable.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4