Scott Westerfeld Forum

Author Topic: So I reread Uglies  (Read 645 times)

Panzercrappitastica

• Westerforum Resident Exalt
So I reread Uglies
« on: March 15, 2018, 03:57:45 PM »

Hi this board is so dead I’m just starting a new topic but obviously spoilery thoughts below:

First things first: BESLY. READ UGLIES. DON’T READ MY SPOILERS READ THE BOOKS

Now proper thoughts:
- they were uh. Not as good as I remembered. Still quite good and I’m still absolutely pumped for the next four but I didn’t love them
- they’re?? sixteen?? who’s letting literal children do all this stuff??
- like does Dr. Cable have anyone she has to consult who listened to her say “yeah I’m gonna take that cult of clearly-unstable teenagers and give them superpowers, a superiority complex, and free reign to do whatever they want” and respond “sure go for it”
- did Tachs, Ho, and Fausto have literally any distinguishing traits. Like at all. Or do they exist purely for plot reasons, in which case why do they have so much screentime
- potentially controversial opinion: Extras was my favorite (so far) and Frizz is my favorite character. I mean his interactions with other characters maybe fell a little flat but conceptually I love this compulsively honest real-life anime boy who got roped into death-defying world-saving adventures because he had to tell this girl he liked her nose
- honestly I pictured David looking like (older) Hiccup for the entire time and like,, it fits,,
- I FORGOT ABOUT ANDREW SIMPSON SMITH. AND SPAGBOL. AND SNEAK SUITS AND NANOS AND FLASH TATTOOS. And yet I remember where I was the first time I read about Shay’s eye clocks?? What even is memory
- I need to clarify that with the sneak suits I don’t even remember them in retrospect; are y’all sure they’ve always been there

With the new books coming out I hope y’all reread them too and yell with me
Purple-handed peep Volger with a flash tattoo hoverboarding around the Lynx in the blue hour with adreneline coursing through his penguins while failing to own the sunset! In a hoop skirt.

Pan the Imperial Bucket Holder

"Early to bed, early to rise, early to plan the world's demise"
- Catvomitsky

Panzercrappitastica

Re: So I reread Uglies
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2018, 03:59:12 PM »

(OFGP)
Purple-handed peep Volger with a flash tattoo hoverboarding around the Lynx in the blue hour with adreneline coursing through his penguins while failing to own the sunset! In a hoop skirt.

- Catvomitsky

Catvomitsky

• nothing nkight
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2018, 04:31:02 PM »

I REMEMBER YOU SAYING YOU'D REREAD THEM AND I'VE BEEN WAITING FOR THIS TOPIC EVER SINCE. I started rereading the first book several months ago but I didn't have time to finish , although I definitely will before Impostors

In response to your thoughts:
-that exact feeling is part of the reason I'm reluctant to reread or rewatch anything after a long period of time
-the pat answer would be to say that it's targeted towards people younger than 16 so it's like an aspirational age thing, or that 16 is the equivalent of the age of majority in their world so they're not considered kids, but honestly I think that was intended to be part of the creepiness of it, exploiting the minds and bodies of people whose minds and bodies aren't fully formed
-If she consulted with anyone, they probably were either pretties incapable of rationally analyzing the situation, or specials who would of course think it's a mcfreakin brilliant idea, so. But one of my main gripes about the series was always where the authority to do any of these crazy things came from
-There are approximately six characters in the trilogy with depth and defining traits and Tachs, Fausto and Ho are not among them
-Extras was probably the most original but still my least favorite just because?? I dunno, something about the development of the post-Mind Rain world and what the message of the book had to say about that fell flat to me. But I agree, Frizz is great
-I actually remember where I was when I first read about the eye clocks too
-I remember the sneak suits. They were the scaly ones right?

Panzercrappitastica

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2018, 12:39:25 AM »

My they’re children reaction was mostly because I was like eleven the first time I read them so sixteen seemed All Grown Up but now they’re younger than me, the heck

- Catvomitsky

Catvomitsky

• nothing nkight
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2018, 01:34:11 AM »

I was...twelve actually, it’s ceazy that it was that long ago :o

Panzercrappitastica

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2018, 12:34:19 PM »

Update: so I heckin. Just noticed that the Sly Girls called Aya Nosey because she’s a kicker and not because of her literal nose

- Catvomitsky

FirelordAzula

• I'll show you lightning!
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2018, 01:10:07 AM »

Haven't read these in a while, but I feel like contributing.

-hey, since I read them AFTER Leviathan and Midnighters, they've never been my favorites. Kinda cool ideas sometimes, but eh.
-yep, sixteen seems so young, but that's YA for you. 16 to 18 is totally the age for doing all this stuff, right? Similar to some of my feelings reading Zeroes.
-I feel that just about anyone with oversight for Dr. Cable is at least a little pretty-brained, as that's the only way I could see it working out for her.
-Hey, they get distinctive names, even if no personality. And that was always one thing I like about the series, Scott's plausible yet not in common use names for all the folks who were raised in the system.
-Don't think I ever made it a secret that Extras in my favorite as well. Tally just rubbed me the wrong way, for some reason, so having a book with all the weird tech and adventure starring someone else was just the ticket. Completely agreed on Frizz, he was a great idea that didn't always get used to best effect.
-Great, now I've got Hiccup in my head for David now too. It works too well, so thanks for that Pan.

Either of you read the Shay's Story manga? Cause I remember rather liking them, but it's been a while.
Westerforum Resident Thing-Starter!

Wielder of the Staff of Sanity Transfer, Official Peep of the Bloodbath, Watcher of Too Much Anime and Buffy, Lord of the Fire Nation, Amateur Player of Banjo, Book-Obsessed Teenager~yep, that's me.

Don't make me hungry. You wouldn't like me when I'm hungry.

Panzercrappitastica

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2018, 01:46:26 AM »

I’ve read them but I remember literally nothing

- Catvomitsky