Scott Westerfeld Forum

Author Topic: DRM free store?  (Read 305 times)

jaddle

DRM free store?
« on: June 14, 2018, 01:05:55 PM »

I just read Uglies which I got through a Humble Indie Bundle sale, and enjoyed it enough to go and buy the next volume. Unfortunately, I can't find anywhere to buy it that doesn't come crippled with Adobe DRM. I actually even spent an hour or two to see if I could get Adobe Digital Editions working on my linux computer, just out of curiosity, but it's really a pain in the neck.

Are these books available anywhere without DRM? I'm happy to spend money on good books, but I won't waste money on something that's broken by design.

Panzercrappitastica

• Westerforum Resident Exalt
Re: DRM free store?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2018, 02:35:37 PM »

I donít know what any of those words mean but at least in my area most of the libraries carry them, so you could check there? I dunno if your library system does e-book checkouts, if thatís what youíre looking for, but itís worth a shot?

Also, welcome to the forum!
Purple-handed peep Volger with a flash tattoo hoverboarding around the Lynx in the blue hour with adreneline coursing through his penguins while failing to own the sunset! In a hoop skirt.

Pan the Imperial Bucket Holder

"Early to bed, early to rise, early to plan the world's demise"
- Catvomitsky

GentlemanBesly

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2018, 06:56:14 PM »

I donít know what any of those words mean but at least in my area most of the libraries carry them, so you could check there? I dunno if your library system does e-book checkouts, if thatís what youíre looking for, but itís worth a shot?

Literally all of this! Except for the part about my local library keeping the Uglies in stock, or at least I haven't seen them there. 9_9

ジャガイモはセクシーで

"Mmph." says Romeo, who in the night has released a special enzyme to digest his own face and fuse himself to Juliet.

Panzercrappitastica

• Westerforum Resident Exalt
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2018, 11:28:50 PM »

Ohh right, yeah, Iím in the US. I have no idea about the rest of the worldís Uglies availability
Purple-handed peep Volger with a flash tattoo hoverboarding around the Lynx in the blue hour with adreneline coursing through his penguins while failing to own the sunset! In a hoop skirt.

Pan the Imperial Bucket Holder

"Early to bed, early to rise, early to plan the world's demise"
- Catvomitsky

Ceres

• nothing nkight
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2018, 03:38:15 AM »

It's on Amazon Kindle, and you can get the app for basically any device, so if it's not at your library then try that maybe?

jaddle

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2018, 07:04:42 AM »

DRM is "digital rights management". Basically, it's  software that "protects" content, by restricting what you can do with it, and making your computer or other device harder to use, and preventing you from doing what would otherwise be perfectly legal. I can't stand DRM - there are so many things wrong with it. Essentially, you're giving control of your computer or phone to the company that makes the DRM software, and they aren't going to use that to your benefit. https://www.defectivebydesign.org/ is a good place to start learning about it.

A library is a good idea, but unfortunately, usually libraries that lend out ebooks have all kinds of DRM on the content, so I can't use it. Many publishers have realized that DRM is not helping their business and is alienating their customers, so they've stopped using it, but unfortunately, not enough have...

I could certainly install software on my phone that would let me use them, but it would be limited, and wouldn't work on my kobo, which is my preferred device. I won't spend money on an ebook that I can't use everywhere, and that I can't keep using in the future - with DRM on it, there's no guarantee that it will be accessible later on, since it depends on the DRM servers remaining active, and their software being updated to run on all devices in the future, which of course won't happen.