Scott Westerfeld Forum

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 24

Author Topic: Don't Fear the Abyss (New RP!)  (Read 18121 times)

GreyCaboose

• neeheehee
Don't Fear the Abyss (New RP!)
« on: November 04, 2018, 01:37:48 PM »

This RP was inspired by numerous pieces of media and stories I've come across! Some may be more obvious than others!

~

Once upon a time, humans and monsters lived in harmony.

Humans, with their impressive ability to survive in the most extreme of conditions, blessed monsters with technology, medicine, and invited them to coexist amongst them.
Monsters, with their amazing skills and unique features, protected the humans from danger and gifted the humans with their magic, amazing resourcefulness, and their ancient, peaceful culture

For eons, this balance was what kept the world at peace. Humans and Monsters formed powerful bonds.
That is, until darkness befell the lands.
A dark cloud, like smoke, filled the sky. No one knew where it came from, or why it appeared, but it blocked out the sun. The planet began to cool.

The humans and monsters blamed each other for this cloud. They began to fight. The fighting became a war.
The war lasted for years, and the cloud did not disperse. Humans and monsters had done unspeakable atrocities to each other, and there were few survivors on either side, but still they fought.

Until....the cloud left. One day, it simply vanished, and the sun shone again.
Humans and monsters stopped fighting. There was no reason for the war, anymore. Neither side knew what the reason for the cloud was for, but it was gone now.

Monsters and humans alike recognized their horrors they'd brought upon both the opposing kind and their own, and the two sides made a pact to live separately to rebuild their respective civilizations. Monsters found a new home underground, in deep caverns. Humans found their wartorn lands too grisly to rebuild and abandoned the world of land for a life on artificial islands and boats on the glimmering sea.

But as a symbol of peace between them,
as an apology for the wars,
and as a ritual of joy in hopes to keep the darkness away,
The humans and monsters arrange interracial partnerships among their kinds by randomly selecting the names of their eligible young citizens in a drawing.
The humans and monsters selected will be sent to Grey Abyss Castle to all live together. This castle is unique, for it's so vast it has entrances for humans and for the monsters far underground. The goal of this ceremony and coupling?
Peace among monsters and humans!

But what will happen when the darkness returns?

~

Apologies for that loooonng intro of lore, really takes ya back to the days of my earlier RPs!
Essentially, the humans have lived on the sea on manmade islands, and the monsters have all lived underground. Monsters can have a variety of characteristics, such as blue skin, fur, no skin (skeletons), scales, horns, hooves, a great height, fangs, beaks, many eyes, no eyes, tails, etc! However, for simplicity, the monsters should all stay humanoid and preferably under nine feet in height. As long as they're clearly monsters!
Technology in this RP is very similar to modern technology, so characters can have phones and there will be use of computers, FaceTime, etc, although some technological differences will occur! (No elaboration there)
Fashion can be as similar to or as different from modern fashion as you want!

Monsters do have some magic, but for a monster to really know how to use magic they need to have trained in it from a young age, making them a 'Wick', who can specialize in healing magic, offensive magic, illusion magic, or protective magic! The magic and such is pretty much what the title states and if your character is a Monster with magic, or a 'Wick', they will have had to train for it (Usually healing Wicks are like medics, offensive Wicks are soldiers or guards, illusive Wicks are spies, and protective Wicks are also guards, but your characters will not technically have these titles yet, and will instead have just been training for the role!)
Humans are skilled tinkerers, usually, as their society is very focused on tech, but only some humans who have worked for it for a while will have the ability to be mechanics, hackers, or inventors! Humans are also skilled navigators!

I'm hoping for an even number of humans and monsters!!!
NOTE: In the RP plot, character's will be 'paired' as couples for the peace ceremony. This may not result in actual relationships between the characters, which is okay! Characters can even develop relationships with characters they weren't 'paired' with, or none at all! Good for drama, which I dig,

CARDS:
Name:
Age (17-20):
Monster or Human?:
Appearance:
Personality:
Skills:
Other:

(Influences for this, in case you didn't guess/want to know for reference, are Undertale, Deltarune, Made in Abyss, Hunger Games, Matched, Uglies, Voltron, Moana, Homestuck, and Ava's Demon!)

GreyCaboose

• neeheehee
Re: Don't Fear the Abyss (New RP!)
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2018, 01:40:14 PM »

Obligatory Forum Glitch post!

Panzercrappitastica

• Westerforum Resident Exalt
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2018, 01:58:27 PM »

Oh I have an idea and I’m so in
Also my first idea is a monster but if we wind up monster-heavy I have some vague ideas for a human also
Purple-handed peep Volger with a flash tattoo hoverboarding around the Lynx in the blue hour with adreneline coursing through his penguins while failing to own the sunset! In a hoop skirt.

Pan the Imperial Bucket Holder

"Early to bed, early to rise, early to plan the world's demise"
- Catvomitsky

GreyCaboose

• neeheehee
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2018, 02:08:44 PM »

Oooooo I'm so glad you're interested!!!!! And rad, I'm super glad you've got ideas!

Panzercrappitastica

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2018, 12:14:23 PM »

Question, how long ago was the cloud and the war and all that? Would our characters remember it, would they have parents or grandparents who remember it, or what? Also do monsters have separate naming traditions, or would they have human names too?
Purple-handed peep Volger with a flash tattoo hoverboarding around the Lynx in the blue hour with adreneline coursing through his penguins while failing to own the sunset! In a hoop skirt.

- Catvomitsky

GreyCaboose

• neeheehee
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2018, 12:16:25 PM »

The war is an event that I'd suppose, hmm, monsters and humans' great-grandparents would've remembered from their childhoods. Most who lived through the war are dead now, but the effects of it still hang over the civilizations!

GreyCaboose

• neeheehee
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2018, 12:50:10 PM »

Name: Aphis Lycoda
Age (17-20): 18
Monster or Human?: Monster
Appearance: Aphis is a short woman, about 5'4", with two large main eyes and four smaller eyes under those ones, each with a purple iris. Her hair is styled in a black bob with an undercut, and she has a flat nose that's hard to see aside from two slits. She has small fangs and a very thin frame, as well as four arms instead of simply two. Her skin is a cool blue, and covered in thin blue fur. Her skin is a darker blue in areas like her lips, elbows, and cheeks. She wears a simple nice outfit consisting of a pale blue dress shirt and dark blue overall shorts, as well as white knee-high socks and black dress shoes.
Personality: Aphis is a quiet young woman who doesn't necessarily understand the complexities of social interaction. She prefers to simply assist when needed and watch the light reflect off of the crystalline roof above the caverns. Aphis is very thoughtful and logical, and is very afraid of small insects. She hopes to inherit her family's shop, which she works at, and is a good listener.
Skills: Aphis is skilled in organization and thinks like a true businesswoman. She is also a skilled baker, and is very intelligent. She and the rest of her family also have excellent vision (six eyes!) and good strength (four arms!).
Other: Aphis is pronounced like Ay-fiss. She's been told by her family that humans are evil beings who hate monsters, and isn't sure whether or not she believes it.

Name: Orville Mondo
Age (17-20): 19
Monster or Human?: Human
Appearance: Orville is tall, with a dark tan and bright green eyes. His hair is black and curly and a little past chin-length. He has a missing tooth a scar on his lip, and he wears pretty grimy clothes and some large goggles (not always on his eyes). As a contrast to the rest of his rugged appearance, his fingernails are delicately painted red.
Personality: Orville is good-natured and optimistic, and tries to do as much as he can to be a good friend. He's very determined and hard-working, and can often be stubborn. He loves to fix up machines and is very curious, always wanting to learn more about everything, even if he doesn't understand it. He's easily flustered and tries to be 'gentlemanly', and almost foolishly believes in all kinds of superstitions.
Skills: Orville is athletic and strong, and incredibly gifted with building and repairing machines. He also has a very good memory and very stubborn determination.
Other: Orville's parents have told him many legends about when humans and monsters lived in harmony, and Orville hopes one day to see a real monster and to live in a world where humans and monsters get along again. Until then, he's more than happy working as a mechanic in a family friend's shop.

Mara-la

• strange fruit
    • Instagram
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2018, 12:55:25 PM »

Ouuuu this looks like fun! I don't have time right this second to do a charrie card but I think I'll join in a bit!
Member since April 24th 2010.
----------------------------------
Author of "We All Come Home"
Short story; pub. March 2018
in Scarborough Fair Magazine
----------------------------------
www.youtube.com/maragrace

GreyCaboose

• neeheehee
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2018, 12:56:09 PM »

Rad!!!! I'd love to have ya join!

Panzercrappitastica

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2018, 02:41:54 PM »

I’m like 95% guaranteed to fall in love with any fictional cheerful mechanic and Orville is no exception I cannot WAIT to see him in action

I handwrote my card so I’ll type it up and post in a few minutes!

- Catvomitsky

GreyCaboose

• neeheehee
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2018, 02:49:35 PM »

Awesome!!! And yes I'm so glad you like Orville!!

Panzercrappitastica

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2018, 02:56:05 PM »

Name: Milo Barnard
Monster or Human?: Monster
Appearance: About six and a half feet tall, with magenta-ish skin and ramlike horns curled over black, braided hair. They dress in loose, comfortable clothes unless made to do otherwise. They have a third eye on their forehead which they usually keep closed, and a long, thin tail that they stuff down their pant leg rather than get pants with a hole for it.
Personality: A big soft doofus. Loves their friends, cats, and avoiding their problems; hates confrontation. They’re so afraid of doing the wrong thing that they rarely take initiative, they just do what they’re told or else do nothing at all. Very kind and almost excessively polite—they’ll apologize vehemently for any inconvenience that it even kinda looks like they may have potentially been involved in. Favorite activity is curling up with their cat Carl and binge-watching sitcoms or romance flicks. Not terribly introspective.
Skills: Healing magic—their third eye helps them see what’s broken and guide them to fix it. Also a decent dancer, and they recently started teaching themself to play ukulele.
Other: They want to find True Love, be it with their assigned partner or otherwise, but they’re always too scared to act on crushes so they’ll just take that dream and shove it in a box in their attic it’s fine it’s fine—

Let me know if I should change anything especially re: how magic works!

- Catvomitsky

GreyCaboose

• neeheehee
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2018, 03:08:19 PM »

GASPS I LOVE THEM!!!!!

And you pretty much nailed how magic works!! It isn't too wild, there's no specific spells, monsters can focus their magical energy to different forms of magic! A gentler Wick may have their magic take the form of soft, relaxing waves, while an offensive, temperamental Wick can have their magic resemble fireballs! Magic is its own unique, malleable force, and it is imbued in the fabric of monsters, so like, every monster has their own unique way of expressing it if trained to become a Wick! ^v^

ChaoticRhymer

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2018, 02:55:14 PM »

May I?

Also, can Monsters and humans reproduce? If so, are the children also capable?
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

"Blessed are the legend-makers, for they are not found within recorded time": J.R.R. Tolkien.

GreyCaboose

• neeheehee
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2018, 11:50:36 AM »

Sure!

And yes, humans and monsters can reproduce, but due to the fact that the societies are so heavily separated, I don't think anyone could play a human-monster child!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 24