Scott Westerfeld Forum

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 24

Author Topic: Don't Fear the Abyss (New RP!)  (Read 27438 times)

Mara-la

• strange fruit
Re: Don't Fear the Abyss (New RP!)
« Reply #60 on: November 17, 2018, 02:41:25 PM »

canz we start sooneth?
Member since April 24th 2010

GreyCaboose

• neeheehee
« Reply #61 on: November 17, 2018, 03:26:35 PM »

But of course!

~

The day of the ritual was filled with an energetic buzz. The sacred island the humans met upon for the ceremony was a great, mountainous thing, with caverns and tents set up on the left side for none other than the arriving monsters, traveling from the Underdark up to the surface for sake of celebration and ritual.
However, the tall gate dividing the left and right of the Island seemed to go against the idea of 'peace'.
Orville frowned as he looked up at the gate and the barbed wire at the top. Despite the ceremony being in the name of peace, the two nations didn't want to actually mesh together. It felt...bizarre. Hypocritical, almost.
"Attention to all Ceremony Attendees: The drawing will begin in fifteen minutes. The last ships will be arriving shortly. Please momentarily finish or pause your shopping and celebration and make your way to the center of the island!" A voice chirped over the intercom. He glanced down towards the center of the Island.
Orville had just arrived on his respective island's ship - He had hardly made it off the docks. The ship was in bad condition. Faulty engine, could use some tlc. He watched as more ships docked and more of his fellow humans stepped off onto the Island of Peace, some looking excited for the ceremony and some looking nervous.
He guess he couldn't blame them - This sort of event always rubbed him the wrong way.
Sighing, he took his attention away from the docks and the gates and followed the rest of the crowd to the center, where everyone was amassing, conversation and chatter buzzing around.
"I hope they draw my name. Can you imagine? Dating a cute monster?"
".....It's probably rigged. I heard from Tulip that if you..."
"This is so gross. Who would ever want to date a monster?"
Orville sighed and tried to make himself blend in, feeling awkward surrounded by so many strangers.

~

Aphis was a bit discouraged.
All this foot traffic, all these excited monsters staring in awe of the sky and the surface...
And nobody wanted to buy her family's products! She wondered why she even agreed to running the tent. Her customer count was still only in the double digits!
But maybe it was better not as many people were talking to her. She was dreading when she'd have to get stuck in that crowd to watch the ceremony -
"Attention to all Ceremony Attendees! The drawing will begin in fifteen minutes. The last monsters will be arriving from the caverns shortly. Please momentarily finish or pause your shopping and celebration and make your way to the center of the Island!" An Announcer, well, announced.
Aphis huffed. Great.
She placed a small red sign, saying 'CLOSED' in bright blue letters, on the desk in front of her before pulling her coat around her and joining the crowd to the center of the Island of Peace.
There was a stage set up, the gate ending just before it. Aphis felt uncomfortably exposed surrounded by all these monsters. The chatter wasn't much better.
"...I heard that there's groups of humans who want to sell monster fur for money!"
"I hope I get to date a human. They're so cute and short! I..."
"...Oh my god, you can't just ASK a human why they're white..."
Aphis pulled a hood up to try and seem smaller. She hated this. Hopefully the ceremony could just start soon.

Panzercrappitastica

• Westerforum Resident Exalt
« Reply #62 on: November 17, 2018, 03:31:44 PM »

Milo stood near the center of the crowd, tail twitching in their pants as they tried to take in all the unfamiliar sights and sounds and smells. They never knew whether to be excited or scared of this ritual. It was such a romantic idea, fate bringing partners together like this, but Milo didn’t know if they wanted to be chosen. They liked their life as it was.
Purple-handed peep Volger with a flash tattoo hoverboarding around the Lynx in the blue hour with adreneline coursing through his penguins while failing to own the sunset! In a hoop skirt.

Pan the Imperial Bucket Holder

"Early to bed, early to rise, early to plan the world's demise"
- Catvomitsky

Mara-la

• strange fruit
« Reply #63 on: November 17, 2018, 03:35:08 PM »

Kaia stepped off the boat onto the docks alongside her father. This wasn't the first time she had come to the island, but every time before then, she had been able to leave. She hated coming here; in fact, she hated coming anywhere where there was this many people, because she could hear all of the minds buzzing around her. Her father put his hand on her shoulder.

"Just a few hours, and we can leave again," he said, quietly.

She hoped this was true. She did not want to be picked. It wasn't that she felt it was wrong, to be paired with a monster. After all, she was part monster, going back far enough. But that was something she preferred to herself. Nobody outside of her family knew, and she wanted to keep it that way.

Eraisuithiel

« Reply #64 on: November 17, 2018, 03:46:28 PM »

It was so bright. The sky, the surface; how did humans manage to do anything, and not just stare up above them at all times? Kalavhan wondered. The humans themselves surprised him as well; he thought they'd be smaller. Sure, some of them were but many were much larger than some of the monsters he knew. He had expected them to be tiny.

The announcement sounded from the intercom and his tail swayed in excitement. This was bound to be interesting, he could tell.

Mara-la

• strange fruit
« Reply #65 on: November 17, 2018, 03:59:03 PM »

Kaia and her father made their way in towards the crowds. The announcement rang through the air, and a chill settled in her spine. She had a feeling that she was not going to be leaving any time soon.

"Don't think that way," her father said. "You're going to be fine."

GreyCaboose

• neeheehee
« Reply #66 on: November 17, 2018, 04:28:22 PM »

Orville glanced as he heard someone reassuring someone else. He glanced over to see a rather nervous-looking woman with black hair. Looks like he wasn't the only one being a bit concerned.
"You a bit nervous too?" He asked her, hoping to seem friendly. It couldn't hurt to try and help others feel less spooked, he supposed.

Aphis was pushed along with a small section of the crowd more eager to get to the front, and stumbled before bumping into someone.
"Augh, I'm sorry -" She began before looking at the monster she'd bumped into. Woah.
Tall, with a very....unique, skull-like face. This person looked a bit...scary.
"I'm. Sorry." She squeaked out, feeling herself get nervous at the thought of pissing off one of the more dangerous monsters of the Underdark. "I was. I was pushed."

Eraisuithiel

« Reply #67 on: November 17, 2018, 04:42:28 PM »

Kalavhan tilted his head to one side, and then the other. The small monster before him looked absolutely terrified. Of course he was used to it; most in the Underdark assumed he was dangerous. Carefully, he reached out and touched her forehead. It's alright, he thought to her. This crowd is very rambunctious.

GreyCaboose

• neeheehee
« Reply #68 on: November 17, 2018, 04:49:24 PM »

Aphis' eyes widened when the monster seemed to project their words into her mind - She'd heard of some monsters being able to use this method to communicate, but she never actually thought she'd encounter someone using it.
"A-Ah, uh. Yeah. Everyone's, uh, excited for the ceremony!" She stammered.

The great clock at the top of the stage display made a loud 'tock' sound. Now, it was only ten minutes 'til the ceremony.
The crowd began to grow louder in anticipation.

Eraisuithiel

« Reply #69 on: November 17, 2018, 04:56:28 PM »

Understandable, it's an exciting event, he thought, looking over at the clock. It was almost time. He turned back to the little blue monster, one again reaching out to touch her. Are you excited as well? Or... nervous?

Mara-la

• strange fruit
« Reply #70 on: November 17, 2018, 05:14:03 PM »

Kaia looked at the tall boy who had spoken to her. “Yes,” she replied quietly. “I don’t want to be chosen.”

GreyCaboose

• neeheehee
« Reply #71 on: November 17, 2018, 05:42:18 PM »

"Uh....I guess." Aphis sighed, looking up at the skull-faced figure. "It's kind of nerve-wracking, like...I'm not sure how I feel about it. I'm like, both, excited and nervous? Does that make sense?" She wasn't sure she was making sense. Cursed social interaction, failing her as always. "Uh...how about you? You, ah, pumped for this ceremony?" She gave an awkward fist-pump, like what she'd her younger brother do whenever he yelled about something being 'rad'.

Orville nodded.
"I feel that. I don't think I could be happy leaving my life behind to date some random person, monster or not. This doesn't feel like a very good way to try and enact peace, heh." He knew he wasn't too reassuring, but honestly, he was starting to panic a bit too. He didn't think he'd be chosen of course, but the very idea was a bit...anxiety-inducing.

Eraisuithiel

« Reply #72 on: November 17, 2018, 06:09:20 PM »

Kal laughed, one of the few sounds he was actually able to make out loud. I'm nervous and excited, too, he told her. Though I hope none of my friends are chosen. I would miss them. Come to think of it though, where are they? he thought that last part mostly to himself. He had seen a hair or horn of any of his friends since arriving. Figures. They were probably running around trying their best to frighten the humans.

GreyCaboose

• neeheehee
« Reply #73 on: November 18, 2018, 04:20:46 AM »

Aphis wasn't sure how to respond - Friends? She didn't have time for friends, she was always too busy working. Did that make her selfish? Or just determined? "I...Uh, well, I hope none of your friends are chosen either." She awkwardly tried to assure the tall monster, giving her best go at a reassuring pat.
Maybe she could try to take his mind off of being worried about his friends with less awkward conversation? Aphis was hardly the right person for that, but it might make her feel less nervous around this slightly-frightening man. "Um....My name's Aphis." She eventually introduced herself. "What's...What's yours?"

Eraisuithiel

« Reply #74 on: November 18, 2018, 05:04:30 AM »

I'm Kalavhan, he replied, giving his tail a friendly swish. Nice to meet you, Aphis. He turned back to the crowd, watching some of the humans as they milled about for a while. They're awfully boring, don't you think? I was expecting something more exciting.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 24