Scott Westerfeld Forum

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 24

Author Topic: Don't Fear the Abyss (New RP!)  (Read 27330 times)

Mara-la

• strange fruit
Re: Don't Fear the Abyss (New RP!)
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2018, 11:54:35 AM »

Could I play a halfling if I could make a compelling  backstory for it? My character would live with only one of their parents, be it human or monster I'm not yet sure
Member since April 24th 2010

GreyCaboose

• neeheehee
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2018, 11:57:21 AM »

Ah, I'm not sure....The only human-monster children would be the result of previous couples from the peace rituals. I feel like having a halfling character would kind of throw off the idea of there being just human and monster characters, if that makes sense.

Mara-la

• strange fruit
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2018, 12:19:06 PM »

I mean, here's the basis of what I was thinking, but it it's a no-go, I can certainly change it:

My character was born by a monster mother and a human father. She is raised by her father as a human, and the way she was conceived... well basically, her father wasn't 100% convinced that monsters were the bad guys and her mother was a human sympathizer... when she was caged and left out as bait, he was the one to find her, they had a secret affair... but once she gave birth to my character, they both agreed that it would be unwise to continue their relationship and so they separated, and seeing as she looked more human than monster, she was sent to live with him. Everyone thinks she's a human, but only she and her father know that she isn't. Anyway, she's based off another character I created for something entirely different, and I can always make a scratch new one if this isn't allowed.

GreyCaboose

• neeheehee
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2018, 12:20:12 PM »

Hmm, what do you mean by 'caged and left out as bait'?

Mara-la

• strange fruit
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2018, 12:38:07 PM »

like, when the other monsters found out she was a human sympathizer, they figured that they would leave her in a cage as bait so that the humans would come in to investigate and they could ambush the humans. and, if she died in the process, then that was fine seeing as she was a sympathizer.

GreyCaboose

• neeheehee
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2018, 12:41:53 PM »

Oh, well, that's an interesting concept, but humans and monsters aren't still at war! They don't attack each other, they just choose to live far apart!

Mara-la

• strange fruit
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2018, 12:42:56 PM »

Right, I got that part. I kinda just figured that if my character is to be of age to be put in the place with the other monsters and humans as a way of making peace, then she's probably old enough to have been born during those war days

GreyCaboose

• neeheehee
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2018, 12:44:08 PM »

Ohhh, well the war was a while ago, like, great-great-grandparents a while ago, but some monsters do have long lifespans, so I guess if you want to incorporate that than sure, haha;;!

Mara-la

• strange fruit
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2018, 12:45:03 PM »

Ah, I see, so then it wouldn't really quite work then, unless my character was a fair bit older than I was thinking her to be. Okay... let me think. Okay got it, and let me know if this won't fly:

Name: Kaia ("Kay" by family and friends) Kamala
Age (17-20): 20
Monster or Human: Human, but does have some monster heritage, which is her greatest kept secret
Appearance: light brown skin, hazel eyes, black hair. Has the faintest markings on her arms and legs which she hides by wearing longer sleeves or gloves and pants or a longer dress.
Personality: Kaia is shy for the most part, but will stand up for what she believes in, making her a startling person to deal with sometimes. It's almost as if she has two personalities; a quiet, timid girl, and an aggressive leader-type.
Skills: Kaia can read minds. Her great-grandmother was a monster and a telepath, which is an ability that has been passed down to Kaia. She keeps it to herself though, with only her father knowing about it, as he too shares the ability. Despite the war being long over, she does not want to make other humans feel uncomfortable.
Other: Kaia strives to be a normal human, but she knows in herself that she is not. She has tried to live a quiet life as humanly as possible, but sometimes slips up. She writes it off as being overly empathetic and good at guessing what's wrong with people, when the fact is really quite different and unexpected among humans.

Good?
« Last Edit: November 22, 2018, 05:44:46 AM by Mara-la »

GreyCaboose

• neeheehee
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2018, 12:45:45 PM »

I'm sure something can be worked out!!  :D

Mara-la

• strange fruit
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2018, 12:54:48 PM »

see above :P

GreyCaboose

• neeheehee
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2018, 12:55:29 PM »

Ohhh, yeah this makes sense!!!!

Mara-la

• strange fruit
Re: Don't Fear the Abyss (New RP!) *still open
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2018, 12:57:40 PM »

weo then I'm in! Kaia Kamala ready to play :P
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 01:15:56 PM by Mara-la »

GreyCaboose

• neeheehee
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2018, 12:59:41 PM »

Hooray!!!! So we have two monsters (Aphis and Milo) and two humans (Orville and Kaia) so far!

ChaoticRhymer

« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2018, 03:29:29 PM »

Gotcha.

Name: Abixaria (Abi) Restone.
Monster or Human?: Monster.
Appearance: Standing only 5'2", she's rather short for a monster, and petitely built. Her legs are goatlike, and she has a long prehensile tail with a nasty barbed spike at the end, and ebony horns like a arm's sprouting from her forehead. Her hair is a reddish brown and curly, and her eyes are milky white, with skin the color of ripe blueberries as well as goatlike ears.. She likes wearing tartan skirts and tank tops.
Personality: She's outgoing and gregarious, loves making new friends, and has a voracious appetite. She can be stubborn, sultry, and incredibly loyal.
Skills: She's a wick, specializing in offensive magic (Pretty good at it if she has anything to say on the matter), and a Damm good tattoo artist, but her cooking is mediocre.
Other: She's the black sheep of the family, most of whome are in the Military/Law Enforcement, in that she chose to be a tattoo artist.

Name: Ozmand (Oz) Kylar.
Monster or Human?: Human.
Appearance: skinny, average Hight, with Sandy blond hair, and light blue eyes. Tends to wear torn jeans, a grey hoodie,  and sneakers.
Personality: Rebellious, thinks he's so edgy and cool, for being in a rock band and sneaking out to go to parties. Has an sense of entitlement from being a rich kid. Is actually kind of an ass.
Skills: He plays an electric guitar, and sings (fantastically in his own mind).
Other: his dad is a senior partner of Wolfheart and Ramson, a large law firm, and involved on politics.

Ok?
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

"Blessed are the legend-makers, for they are not found within recorded time": J.R.R. Tolkien.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 24