Scott Westerfeld Forum

Pages: 1 ... 331 332 [333] 334 335 ... 352

Author Topic: New York, New York  (Read 86240 times)

Mara-la

• strange fruit
    • Instagram
Re: New York, New York
« Reply #4980 on: March 19, 2019, 02:49:15 PM »

"Son, I appreciate your optimism, but Todd is a sneaky snake," Alan said. "Always has been, and I suspect he still is. If he does reach out, he won't do it in a way so obvious that he can go back. That's how he snagged you, Auttie, convincing you he was good."

"He was good," Autumn snapped back automatically. But then, she froze again. Why was she defending her ex, the ex who tried to kill her? The ex that certainly wasn't good.
Member since April 24th 2010.
----------------------------------
Author of "We All Come Home"
Short story; pub. March 2018
in Scarborough Fair Magazine
www.youtube.com/maragrace

Emma-la

« Reply #4981 on: March 19, 2019, 02:51:13 PM »

[ok I highkey love David’s Tea, I didn’t even know there were chemicals in any tea]

Alexis smiled a little, though she felt bad. “It’s been a hot minute since she’s seen her parents, I can only imagine it would blow up.” She was still jittery from everything, but she was trying to be reasonable. She had avoided alcohol for so long, afraid of losing control after the incident. But Jenny made her want to lose control a little. “Gray probably has booze in here, right? What say we break into his stash?”
“The only way out of the labyrinth of suffering is to forgive.”
*~*RESIDENT FORUM ROLEPLAYING ADDICT*~*

kristina-la

• A 1000 times I've failed still your mercy remains
    • tumblr
« Reply #4982 on: March 19, 2019, 03:05:44 PM »

Andrew cast a wary glance at Autumn, surprised by just how quick she was to defend the man who tried to kill her. He supposed there was a lot about her relationship with Todd that Andrew could never understand. Andrew then looked back at Alan, "alright, well we appreciate the heads up," Andrew said. He was trying not worry himself too much, but the fact that Autumn's parents had come all the way to New York to warn their daughter...it was unsettling.

“No matter how filthy something gets, you can always clean it right up”

Mara-la

• strange fruit
    • Instagram
« Reply #4983 on: March 19, 2019, 03:16:18 PM »

Alan completely ignored Andrew, and it seemed now like he was back to his old self. "He most certainly was not," he said in a calm voice that had underlying tones of condescension. "But, you were young, you had no way of knowing better. I suppose that's partially our fault, we didn't guide you well enough, and as a result you've made some questionable life choices."

Autumn balled up her fist. "You know what, dad, I don't want to hear it anymore. You and mom can stay here for a few days if you need a place that's not on the streets to rest, but don't expect to be seeing me around." She didn't even know why she tried with them. They were infuriating. She walked back towards the door. "Andrew, let's go."

kristina-la

• tumblr
« Reply #4984 on: March 19, 2019, 03:44:41 PM »

Andrew understood complicated parental relationships; his relationship with his own father was messy, but his dad never talked to him with such condescension. By some miracle, he held his tongue as nothing good would come out of his mouth in that moment to ease tensions. He followed Autumn to the door, taking her hand in support, "are you sure?" he whispered, not sure if walking out on them was really the best thing she could do; they had come a long way to see her.

Mara-la

• strange fruit
    • Instagram
« Reply #4985 on: March 19, 2019, 04:00:36 PM »

"Go calm down and come back and talk to us when you've settled yourself," Alan said from across the room, going back to sit with his wife.

Autumn didn't even speak. She just looked at Andrew with a 'this is why' expression, and opened the door, storming out.

kristina-la

• tumblr
« Reply #4986 on: March 19, 2019, 04:04:28 PM »

Andrew sighed and looked back at her parents, "it was nice to meet you both," he said polity before following Autumn out into the hall. He stopped in the hallway after shutting the door behind them, looking at Autumn, "that was...a lot. Are you alright?" he asked, feeling stupid for asking; obviously she was not.

Mara-la

• strange fruit
    • Instagram
« Reply #4987 on: March 19, 2019, 04:07:33 PM »

She was silent until they were away from the door. Once they were far enough away, she exploded. "I can't believe them! We weren't even together for an hour and they're picking apart my life, judging everything I do, reminding me of every mistake I ever made, and then making it seem like they knew this was all going to happen exactly as it did! Todd's a piece of sh*t, I'm not going to deny that, but he wasn't always. This stupid fabrication they have of knowing he was a bad seed and how I was under his control, it's such crap!"

kristina-la

• tumblr
« Reply #4988 on: March 19, 2019, 04:36:54 PM »

Andrew let her go off, staying quiet and just listening to Autumn's frustration spill out. "He was out of line," Andrew agreed when it seemed she was done. He looked down at the ugly carpeted hallway floor, not sure what to say about her parents. He did not understand why her father acted like that; said such things. He also did not fully understand her relationship with Todd; how could someone, who attempted to murder the person he supposedly loved, ever be good? "Were there any signs at the beginning?" Andrew asked as he started walking down to his apartment, "Or did that start later?" he asked, referring to Todd.

Mara-la

• strange fruit
    • Instagram
« Reply #4989 on: March 19, 2019, 04:51:43 PM »

Autumn sighed. She supposed it was time to be open with him about Todd. He knew bits and pieces, but he knew the worst ones. “It started later,” she said. “We met when I was eleven. He was older and he was different. He didn’t care what people thought of him, and you understand, in a small town, everyone cares what everyone thinks. And sure, there were times when he did some questionable things, but it’s just stupid teenage stuff, like graffiti or whatever. He cared about me in a way that nobody else did; he liked me for me. Not out of obligation because we were related, or because it was cool to be nice to the new or odd girl. He encouraged me to write when I didn’t think I was good enough, and he made me laugh harder than anyone. He was my best friend and my world back then. And then... he started drinking.” She paused. “His dad was like that too, alcoholic and abusive. Todd promised he would never be like that, and he got sober for a little while. But then things started happening at work and he started again. It started small and he said he could control it and I really thought he could. But every day he slipped further and further away until he was a monster that I didn’t know. I stayed because I hoped he would come back; there were good days too. And, like I said, he was my world. I didn’t know who I was without him. But then... it happened.”

kristina-la

• tumblr
« Reply #4990 on: March 19, 2019, 05:21:02 PM »

It was the first time Andrew was hearing a more compete history of her relationship with Todd. He could understand why she was so hesitant to jump into another relationship. How could anyone be able to trust again after going through that? Andrew stopped walking as they came to his door, turning to look at her. “I guess I always thought he was bad from the start,” Andrew admitted, “now I understand why you stayed as long as you did,” Andrew said.

Mara-la

• strange fruit
    • Instagram
« Reply #4991 on: March 20, 2019, 01:24:01 AM »

“I thought I could help him him, too. Clearly I was wrong. But still, who I am now is largely thanks to him. And as much as I hate him for what he’s done... there’s always going to be some small part of me that hopes he’ll get better and be okay,” Autumn admitted. Finally, all the emotions from everything in the last 24 hours - the news of Todd getting out, Grayson’s hospitalization, Andrew asking her to move in, her parents visiting, the news of her mom’s stroke - it all boiled over. She was overwhelmed and so she started to cry.

kristina-la

• tumblr
« Reply #4992 on: March 20, 2019, 01:55:30 AM »

Andrew was surprised autumn hadn’t broken down sooner, after everything that happened. He drew her into his arms, just letting her get it all out.

Mara-la

• strange fruit
    • Instagram
« Reply #4993 on: March 20, 2019, 02:04:04 AM »

She leaned into him, grateful for his presence and his patience. “We need a vacation,” she said into his shoulder. “All of us. When Grayson gets out let’s plan a road trip or something. Rent a van and go somewhere. Preferably somewhere warm.”

kristina-la

• tumblr
« Reply #4994 on: March 20, 2019, 02:27:59 AM »

“You know, that would be really nice...to just get away for a bit,” Andrew said, though he wasn’t sure how he or Alexis could just take off on a road trip; they had work after all.

Pages: 1 ... 331 332 [333] 334 335 ... 352