Scott Westerfeld Forum

Pages: 1 ... 384 385 [386] 387 388 ... 456

Author Topic: The Great Fangsby  (Read 155442 times)

kristina-la

• Be kind, be calm, be safe.
Re: The Great Fangsby
« Reply #5775 on: January 21, 2020, 04:06:35 PM »

Peggy stared at Thomas and tears filled her eyes, "You weren't there---" she choked on her words and shook her head, "I know I chose to stay behind but...I never thought he would keep me and torture me like that. God, he would have pulled out my teeth if I'd been there a moment longer."

Ainslie heard Charles go upstairs and turned, hearing the argument in the dining hall and went up the stairs as well, stopping at the room she assumed she was to share with Charles and then knocking softly.

Thomas' jaw clenched as his mind stirred up images of the conditions that man had kept her in and the horrible things he'd done. It was enough to make Thomas want to kill him but at the same time, it scared him. He didn't want her going anywhere near that man or his people again. Thomas stood up and walked away from the table, staring up at a dusty old painting on the wall. "I wish I had stayed behind instead," Thomas finally said, but then, he probably wouldn't have survived it like she had.

"It will never be enough! I only want to hear JaJa Ding Dong!"

MercyResurrected

• Death Inspires Me Like a Dog Inspires a Rabbit
« Reply #5776 on: January 21, 2020, 04:09:12 PM »

"Worry about what?" she asked and slid her stockings off and her jacket, just staying in her dress before laying down on the bed and looking up at him.

"I wouldn't have let you. I couldn't. You have Charles and Maggie to watch over. Even if I was gone, there are people that still need...you," Peggy told him firmly.

kristina-la

« Reply #5777 on: January 21, 2020, 04:16:38 PM »

"They're doing fine on their own; they don't need me," Thomas said, still facing the wall. He swallowed hard and wiped at his eyes, "I, however, I need you," he said then turned around again, "I don't want to go back, not if it means you'll be at risk of getting caught by him again," Thomas said, "and I don't want to get comfortable with killing the people we fear. It's...a dangerous precedent"

|ĸιrα|

« Reply #5778 on: January 21, 2020, 04:29:01 PM »

“Someday you’ll leave,” he said softly. Charles hated feeling vulnerable, even with Ainslie, though he found it marginally easier with her. Only marginally, though.

Higher, further, faster

MercyResurrected

« Reply #5779 on: January 22, 2020, 12:33:01 AM »

“A vacation to Europe is one thing Thomas,” Peggy told him, upset with his resolve, “Not being allowed to go home is just cruel.” She turned and left the room, storming off to another part of the house.

Ainslie ran her fingers up and down his bare back and swallowed, “I’d never leave you Charles.” She whispered, honestly.

kristina-la

« Reply #5780 on: January 22, 2020, 02:36:00 AM »

Thomas watched her go but did not follow; he understood what she was feeling but could not  fathom how she of all people could be so willing to take a life! Thomas looked back at the others, still at the table, embarrassed that they witnessed the argument. He and peggy never fought, and if they did it was never in front of people. Thomas grabbed his glass and went off on his own.

|ĸιrα|

« Reply #5781 on: January 22, 2020, 03:37:57 AM »

Charles hummed noncommittally in response and stood, going to his suitcase to find something to wear to bed.

Higher, further, faster

MercyResurrected

« Reply #5782 on: January 22, 2020, 03:54:01 AM »

Ainslie watched him and then laid back and put her hands behind her head, “It’s you I worry about-“ Ainslie confessed.

|ĸιrα|

« Reply #5783 on: January 22, 2020, 03:54:45 AM »

“Me?” Charles asked, turning to look at her. “Why do you worry about me?”

Higher, further, faster

MercyResurrected

« Reply #5784 on: January 22, 2020, 04:05:38 AM »

“Because of the way you act whenever Elizabeth is brought up,” Ainslie said and the sat up, “I guess I worry that you still have feelings for her.”

|ĸιrα|

« Reply #5785 on: January 22, 2020, 06:13:35 AM »

Charles sighed, coming over to sit on the bed. “My feelings toward Elizabeth are...complicated,” he said with a twinge of uncertainty.

Higher, further, faster

MercyResurrected

« Reply #5786 on: January 22, 2020, 06:26:28 AM »

Ainslie looked up at him and then sat up and shook her head, “So I’m the fool after all.” She wrapped her arms around herself and headed for the door, “I’m sure there’s another room in this house I can sleep in “

|ĸιrα|

« Reply #5787 on: January 22, 2020, 06:29:05 AM »

“No! No,” Charles said quickly and stood, jostling his arm a bit in his haste. “Ow,” he said under his breath but quickly focused again. “No, Ainslie, don’t take it the wrong way. I don’t care for her the same way, not how I care for you. It’s only complicated because while I’d be happy to never see her again, I don’t necessarily want her to die. Well, more than she already has I suppose. I just want to be rid of her entirely.”

Higher, further, faster

MercyResurrected

« Reply #5788 on: January 22, 2020, 06:44:35 AM »

Ainslie stopped in the door and gripped the doorframe for a moment, “I know I seem like some silly little girl in love and jealous—“ she told him and turned back to face him, “But—it’s hard for me. We’re not—the same. In any fashion”

|ĸιrα|

« Reply #5789 on: January 22, 2020, 06:57:50 AM »

“What do you mean?” Charles asked uneasily.

Higher, further, faster
Pages: 1 ... 384 385 [386] 387 388 ... 456