Scott Westerfeld Forum

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Author Topic: Rise for the End of the World  (Read 11295 times)

Mara-la

• strange fruit
Rise for the End of the World
« on: March 21, 2019, 03:45:15 PM »

Some people thought the world was going to end in 2000, that the computers wouldn't switch over properly, and that there would be catastrophic failures worldwide that would slowly bring the world to a grinding halt. This didn't happen though. The New Year came in with rings of joy, proper New Years kisses, and resolutions abound.

But not for Dr. Avery Barlow.

Dr. Avery Barlow had spent a great deal of time perfecting her research on mutating the human genome in order to make it impervious to debilitating diseases, such as cancer or ALS, and collecting test subjects in secret. She had amassed a group of children, volunteered by their parents, for experiments. The parents did not know the extent of the experiments, but it seemed to matter not, seeing as they received a hefty sum of cash in exchange. The children were treated well when they were brought in for experiment days, but the procedures were long and gruelling, and some of the children did not make it.

Barlow was about to shut the experiment down when that New Years Eve, she had her first success: Lonny Cartwright, a young boy, aged 7, test subject #021. He survived the serum transfusion and awoke from the medically induced sleep with white glowing eyes and veins that looked as if they would shock you if you touched them, and delivered a prophecy: the world was going to end in 19 years. Before he could give any more information, he began to seize, and passed away shortly thereafter.

Disturbed by the sudden turn of events, Dr. Barlow officially shut down the lab at the behest of her lab assistants, and from that point on, the laboratory became officially defunct. The key word was officially. The children, much to the bewilderment of their parents, had developed powers of sorts, much like Lonny had. Some of the parents no longer wanted to deal with their freak children and left them in the care of Dr. Barlow. Others decided to keep their children, but bring them to the doctor for regular appointments.

The children grew up in and out of Barlow's care, but were kept separate. They were aware of one another, but they never really had the chance to know one another. On June 3 2004, the lab was hit by lightning, killing Dr. Barlow, and subsequently opening an investigation on the lab. Once it was realized what this place was, the children and their families were taken into protective custody, and then relocated throughout the country so that they could start their lives over and live "normally".

This, of course, did not work out in all cases. Some of the children did keep their powers secret, while others went out and used them, going on to become "superheroes". A few of them decided to go the other route, and be seen as villains, ultimately leading to their defeat and lockup in a specialized facility for supers.

But it's 2019 now, the first day of spring to be exact. The government, who had seized Dr. Barlow's data, have come to realize that the end of the world is near, coming in a matter of weeks, and they have no idea how to stop it. They only have the vaguest idea of what causes it, and that idea could be completely wrong. They've realized that they only have one option: assign a handler to group together the children from the Barlow Experiments and have them rise together in time for the end of the world.

-------------

RIGHT SO. LONG INTRO. But, hopefully it's interesting??

Inspirations: Umbrella Academy, Marvel, Suicide Squad.... yeah. You get the picture. This is comic book goodness style storylines.

As I mentioned, the kids (well, adults now) will know of each other, but won't necessarily know each other. This gives way for them to get to know each other (and for you guys to get to know your characters better!) but also kinda bypass the awkward introductions because they know each other exist, and that they had similar upbringings because of the lab.

Now, I'm thinking that these kids will be 90's kids. So like, born between 1990-2000. That way, none of them would have been older than 10 at the time of the experiments.

NOTE: In the charrie card there's a thing called "Hero/Hidden/Villain" and that refers to what they did re their powers after relocation. Did they pretend like they didn't have them (hidden), try to save people (hero), or use their powers for illegal activities and got caught (villain). Those who are villains are going to start out in a special holding facility, but don't worry, they'll be out soon!

-------------

Charrie Card~
Name:
Birthdate (and subsequent age):
Appearance:
Personality:
Power(s):
Hero/Hidden/Villain:
Other:
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 03:55:44 PM by Mara-la »
Member since April 24th 2010

Eraisuithiel

Re: Rise for the End of the World RP
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2019, 03:51:39 PM »

YAAAAASSSSSSSSSSS OMG

Mara-la

• strange fruit
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2019, 03:53:39 PM »

Shoot, I also wanted to just say one character per person, just cuz too many characters outright can get out of hand. So yes, that's one more note!!

@Rai: GLAD YOU'RE HYPE lol

Eraisuithiel

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2019, 03:54:51 PM »

After watching Umbrella academy I am so hype
I'm gonna start working on my character ASAP :P

Mara-la

• strange fruit
Re: Rise for the End of the World
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2019, 04:01:02 PM »

Second note because apparently I got too excited and posted this before I finished including all the f*cking details:

THE HANDLER. I will be playing the Handler alongside my character, however, the Handler is not a person. The Handler is an AI that can take over any device being used (so, phones, tvs, anything at all) but can also neurohack people's brains to deliver short messages to the team (hello Travelers... also if you haven't seen this show it's well worth a watch). The Handler is, as a result, neither male nor female, but is referred to as "they" and the variants of that.

|ĸιrα|

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2019, 04:04:50 PM »

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES

Higher, further, faster

kristina-la

• Be kind, be calm, be safe.
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2019, 04:14:34 PM »

ughhhhhhhhh. I want to say no but I can't. I have no will power!

"It will never be enough! I only want to hear JaJa Ding Dong!"

Mara-la

• strange fruit
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2019, 04:34:57 PM »

...joiiiiiin usssssssss

MercyResurrected

• Death Inspires Me Like a Dog Inspires a Rabbit
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2019, 04:35:03 PM »

I'm in.

Mara-la

• strange fruit
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2019, 04:35:14 PM »

Bravo!

Mara-la

• strange fruit
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2019, 04:46:10 PM »

omf also, one more note, if your charrie was a hero/villain, they can have a hero/villain name :P you know, the way that Tony Stark is Iron Man, for example.

MercyResurrected

• Death Inspires Me Like a Dog Inspires a Rabbit
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2019, 04:51:14 PM »

Tomorrow! I shall make my card)

Eraisuithiel

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2019, 05:09:19 PM »

Ughhh okay this is gonna take me a while. Like, powers?? Superhero name?? Hero or villain?? Ughhhh

Mara-la

• strange fruit
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2019, 05:11:55 PM »

Sleep on it :P I’ll probsbly post mine tomorrow

GreyCaboose

• neeheehee
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2019, 11:07:47 PM »

YES CAN I JOIN?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10