Scott Westerfeld Forum

Author Topic: Leviathan Appreciation Post  (Read 488 times)

Ghost44

• A Pharmacist
Leviathan Appreciation Post
« on: May 11, 2020, 03:58:05 PM »

Didn't know where this really belonged on the forum, so I figured I may as well put it here.

Last week I reread Leviathan, Behemoth and Goliath and I just want to say that these books are so good. I didn't remember them being as well written as they are. At 26 years old, it's feels weird to have enjoyed these books so much. But the premise and the world that Scott created is so unique and enthralling. I wish I could read more about this world elsewhere and see the rise of Darwinists and Clankers to what I would assume to be there ultimate merging post WWII.

I also just read the bonus chapter on Scott's blog that I didn't know existed until now. And I like that we got a smidge more of Alek and Deryn, and I would've loved to be able to continue their story. But I think Scott did a wonderful job wrapping up everything as it is.

It's also so weird for me to think that I was reading these same books nearly 9 years ago at my desk in my dorm room during my Freshman year of undergrad. That just seems so absurd to me now. Especially because I don't even remember how it was I came across Leviathan originally. I think it was me just randomly seeing it as a recommended book on Amazon, and after reading the synopsis I decided to give it a go (that's how I find most of my books nowadays). And it just feels so surreal that I may never have decided to pick this book up to read. And I never would have found this forum, one that I was incredibly active on for a number of years, making good friends and memories along the way.

So here's to Scott and this marvelous world he created in Leviathan that allowed us all to enjoy Alek and Deryn's story.
Death and Taxes