Scott Westerfeld Forum

Author Topic: Shatter City  (Read 264 times)

Catvomitsky

• birth is a curse and existence is a prison
Shatter City
« on: September 29, 2020, 01:46:22 PM »

I am shocked and appalled, and frankly disappointed (/j) that no one has started this thread yet. Has anyone read, or is anyone reading or intending to read, the second Imposters book? I?m about halfway through, enjoying myself a lot, but there is a bit of a second-book slump. The Feels and Paz are what?s intrigued me the most so far. The original books were so interesting partly because they explored the ideas of altered mind states and how that can and should interact with personal freedom. More of that please! Imo the rest of the plot (war, the rebellion, twins switch) doesn?t feel particularly tied into the Uglies lore, aside from occasional references which I admit I?m a sucker for

LilyFlowerSunshine

Re: Shatter City
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2020, 08:00:57 AM »

Yesssss! I'm new to the forum, but I love "Shatter City"! It's brilliant and I absolutely CANNOT wait for the next book!

Catvomitsky

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2020, 10:48:08 AM »

A new member?? Hello! What brought you to the forum?

GraveyardDancer

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2020, 10:28:38 AM »

I'm excited about the next two books and hopefully seeing familiar faces. (My grown 24-year-old ass squealed when Sussy and Dex showed up. And if I read correctly, she's a Special now?? I love it). I want to see more of how the OG's interact with Frey, and Rafi. Especially Tally (I'm assuming that she's going to show up). How much has Tally evolved since when we last saw her? Did she retire because she just wanted to live her life? Did something bad happen to her? Is she still in contact with the Cutters?

Also, I had this weird hunch that could be totally wrong, but I had this weird thought. The rebels took Frey and Rafi's brother and raised them as their own. Do you think that Tally evolved back to her nearly original self that gave her instincts to be really caring and raised him as her own? Will she hate Frey for killing her son?

I think that in the next book there will be consequences to Frey revealing her first kill.

I feel like the first two books are possibly a setup for the big satisfying things and answers about the old characters . And I'm hoping I'm right, but could be totally wrong. I'm just so so sad that this next release is postponed to 2021. I need more NOW. And I NEED Tally; especially after re-reading the original series. I had so many of the same emotions, (maybe even more because of nostalgia) for these books that I did 12 years ago as a young middle schooler.

Thoughts on me predictions?

Catvomitsky

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2020, 05:55:32 PM »

Just finished the book ayyy

I like these predictions! I agree that this novel was a lot of setup to a climactic finale with more answers. I imagine we?ll get cameos from the old characters as well, especially since the movie is coming out. Honestly I completely forgot who Sussy and Dex are, only realizing now that their names are from the original books.

As for Tally, I don?t know if she?ll be in contact with any of the rebels we know. It?s likely she?s off doing something else entirely. Maybe she knew Frey?s brother though, or had some sort of connection to him. I like the idea of Tally having a surrogate son but I don?t know if it would make sense to have her be in South America around the time he was kidnapped. Wouldn?t that have been around the time of Extras? How old was Seanan when he was kidnapped anyway? I don?t remember.

Also, I hope we see more of Rafi - maybe even some chapters from her POV. I think she?s the more interesting of the twins to read about right now, with her rebel crew and everything going on in her head, and the moral ambiguity she?s got going on. I?m also wondering if the feels will be relevant again, thematically or story-wise. I would like to see Frey develop a healthier relationship with her emotions before getting the feels again but it seems like they were a positive thing for her and can be again. I?m sure Rafi could benefit from them too, since she is clearly struggling to process everything. There isn?t anyone she can be honest with about her emotions or even her identity, so it?s reasonable, but maybe feels could help, especially since Frey recommended them.

Also how the heck do you get ?Frey? from ?Rafia? lol where did the y and the e come from

GraveyardDancer

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2020, 11:26:22 AM »

I want so much more of Rafia. Rafia leading her own crew wearing a dress of fitted animal skins is iconic. She?s a natural leader and was able to adjust so well not only living as Frey but living in the wild the way she did after literally being treated like a princess in the city for her whole life. She has so much potential and I hope she reaches it in the next couple of books. I?m so sad that the third book got delayed