Scott Westerfeld Forum

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Technology in Leviathan  (Read 3543 times)

America La

Re: Technology in Leviathan
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2010, 05:27:52 AM »

The earliest steam engine was invented in our world in ancient Greece (even though it slipped through the cracks), so that was my theory of when it may have happened in their world (i.e, in their world, the Greeks realized what it was).
What would have happened to the world then? The balance of power would have obviously shifted even more dramatically then it did in that era, and if the Romans obtained this power would roman influence have stayed around longer and actually have extended into northern europe more so than it did in our world? Would that have caused Europe to not have the viking problem in unify them because they could better defend their land causing them to fight eachother like modern Nations-states once rome feel causing military technology to develop faster and earlier than it did in our world? Wait...did that even make sence?
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 05:31:21 AM by America La »
“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” Dr. Seuss

Itzcuintli

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2010, 01:32:39 PM »

The earliest steam engine was invented in our world in ancient Greece (even though it slipped through the cracks), so that was my theory of when it may have happened in their world (i.e, in their world, the Greeks realized what it was).
What would have happened to the world then? The balance of power would have obviously shifted even more dramatically then it did in that era, and if the Romans obtained this power would roman influence have stayed around longer and actually have extended into northern europe more so than it did in our world? Would that have caused Europe to not have the viking problem in unify them because they could better defend their land causing them to fight eachother like modern Nations-states once rome feel causing military technology to develop faster and earlier than it did in our world?

Who knows? That's why alternate history is so much fun to speculate about. =)

waxesnostalgic

• Crazed Leviathan Fangirl
    • Leviathan Wiki
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2010, 12:34:34 AM »

Though it is generally believed that Heron's steam engine was considered only a toy, because slave labor was so plentiful and cheap in the Roman Empire. Who needed a machine that would cost more to operate?? Still, in an alternate universe it could have been rediscovered earlier, sparking an industrial revolution in the early 18th century...
"I may not understand Goliath," he said simply. "But I understand Darwinist fabrications even less."
"Keep it that way," Volger said. "You're the heir to the Austrian throne, not some zookeeper." -Goliath

Leviathan Wiki
Pages: 1 [2]