Scott Westerfeld Forum

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Male or Female Writers?  (Read 3205 times)

Beth-la

• Laughter Is Eternity
Male or Female Writers?
« on: October 04, 2010, 05:27:17 AM »

This thought came to me last night, and I'm just wondering what other people's opinions are.

How does the writing of male's compare to writing of a female? Is one particularly better than the other? Scoot (ha-ha, funny typo. I mean, Scott :D) wrote Uglies, but Suzanne Collins wrote the Hunger Games. Cassandra Clare wrote the Mortal Instruments, but James Dashncr wrote the Maze Runner. C.S. Lewis wrote the chronicles of Narnia, and J.K. Rowling wrote Harry Potter. They're all amazing books, but for different reasons. I personally think that in general men are better at coming up with awesome technology and good action sequences, but women have an amazing way of conveying the emotions of characters, and making you really see who the character is, as a person. This is just in general though, because there are quite a few women who can come up with frickin awesome action sequences and technology, and lots of male authors that can convey emotions in such a way that makes you want to cry.

So here's the question:
How does gender effect a person's writing?
Are women better at bringing out the humor? The romance?
Are men better at bringing out the action?
Or is it all an equal jumble?

If any of you care about my sanity, please don't everybody say ''oh, but it doesn't matter what gender they are.'' C'mon! Give me a solid opinion, please! I'm not asking you to say that you like one gender writing over the other, just what you think each gender brings to the table better than the other.

Jeez, this is a long post. Sorry if your eyes got tired and you just skimmed it. :)
"Help! One of the geeks has escaped! GEEK ON THE LOOSE! GET A NET!"

*~* WESTERFORUM'S RESIDENT SPAZ & BEAST-LA*~*

kokonut_soda

• Terriermon!
Re: Male or Female Writers?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 06:26:09 AM »

Oh, but it doesn't matter what gender they are.  Just kiddin'.

As I was reading this post, my body was subconsciously reaching for paper and pen to do a timed-write essay.... ;)

Hmm...this is kind of a tough question to answer, just because there are SO many books out there and thus there will always be exceptions to any generalization you make.

Excuse me while I go and ponder this....

Beth-la

• Laughter Is Eternity
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 06:27:37 AM »

Ponder away. :D

kokonut_soda

• Terriermon!
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 06:48:55 AM »

Well let's see. For one thing,  I wouldn't say that either sex is better is better at humour, I just think that, generally speaking, they do different types of humour.  I haven't read any female authors that do the same type of humour as the one found in Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, or in Dan Bergstein's Twilight Blog (does that count?) - i.e. wacky, crazy, exaggerated humour.

Beth-la

• Laughter Is Eternity
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2010, 08:09:07 AM »

Sure, it counts. :D I see your point though. Authors have very different senses of humor.

Shay-la-wa

• My picture is Peeta, but Cinna's way better.
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2010, 08:54:54 AM »

Well, I do think that boys have always been more violent, but look at The Hunger Games! It doesn't really make a difference whether the author's male or female... Though I do notice that stories written by girls, as action-packed as they are, ALWAYS have ongoing emotions and romance.
I'm not good enough
I'm not what they want
But let me tell you what
I know who I am
~ Outcast, Kerrie Roberts

For one moment
I wish you'd hold your stage
With no feelings at all
Open minded
I'm sure I used to be so free
~ Citizen Erased, Muse

~THE WESTERFORUM'S RESIDENT SPECIAL

Beth-la

• Laughter Is Eternity
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2010, 10:34:03 AM »

Mhmmm, yeah I've noticed that too. Most guy writers don't dig too deep when it comes to the romance and some emotions.

Zombie

• the Grapefruit Prince
    • Substandard art by yours truly.
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2010, 07:49:27 AM »

I really don't think there's a difference between sexes. Like, at all. I think there are differences between people, of course. Sure, it's possible there are more female writers that are generally better at emotional parts of stories, and more male writers who do well with action-oriented things instead of deep characters, but I still think of that as depending on who they are as a person- their sex is just a footnote.

As for writers writing from the POV of the opposite sex.... well not everyone of a particular sex is exactly the same, so there's really no set of rules for how that sex thinks or acts. People write from the POV of animals, aliens, inanimate object maybe, whatever, a lot as well, even though they (probably) aren't those things. -shrug- As long as the writer can pull it off, it's all good. xD

Beth-la

• Laughter Is Eternity
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2010, 09:54:09 AM »

thats  true most don't but Nicholas Sparks does :D
Bleh, I can't stand his books. Or the movies. It's all ''oh, some tragedy brought us together! Kiss kiss. Oh no! I hate you! But wait, I love you!''  :P

kristina-la

• through your strength all my fears will fade away
    • tumblr
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2010, 02:57:47 PM »

I hate romance books.
it's fine when romance is like a side plot
but when it is the whole point of the book.....it is boring!

As for my opinion.
Males and females deffinatly write differently.
I find that when women write there is more emotion....but
the story is usually super messed up and weird(which is GREAT That's what I look for in a book)
with Males they tend to go for battles, and jumping off tall building(cough cough Scott-la :P)
and they...well they're boys  ::) nuff said :P
I like male and female writers equally though :)

Abbi4Raie-la

• Moi
    • NCIS Fansite
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2010, 06:35:23 AM »

red blooded murder and red, white and dead have lots of romance as a side plot, but the first one in the series doesnt really. i love books like that, too

PerfectlyxImperfect

• Were all grieving/Lost and bleedng
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2010, 09:35:53 AM »

Well, I.. never thought about it. o_o
Sometimes I think guys are better at capturing emotion than girls, and that the girls get too crazy with the emotions sometimes. But guys do that sometimes, too.
[i used sometimes 3 times in one sentence. lol]
The only thing I've noticed is that guys seem to pay more attention to details and the action is a little more exciting.
But! I've read awesome action books by female authors, too.
I guess it depends on the persons who is writing it. :P
Just a little girl in a shrinking world... Looking for a place to run and hide

Gentlebiscuit

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2015, 11:11:12 AM »

RAISING DEAD THREADS LIKE A BAWS.

Off the top of my head, and as a generalization, I would say that books written by women have a slant towards focusing on the characters more than the action. A little more conversation, a little more humor, more realistic every day happenings. Whereas male writers tend to focus on what is happening, details, explosions, etc.
My example;
Compare the Poirot series by Agatha Christie, in which cases tend to be solved through psychology to the Sherlock Holmes series by Arthur Conan Doyle which focuses more on physical clues.

Hiss.

Ceres

• Orangé Tong
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2015, 11:24:47 AM »

I was thinking just that as I read this thread. That's true of many things, but as a broad generalization I think it's especially clear in writing. I also tend to notice that more popular young adult books are written by women than men, which may be because more YA writers are women or becuase young adults are more drawn to the writing that women produce. Or neither, or both, really.

Panzercrappitastica

• Westerforum Resident Exalt
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2015, 11:30:28 AM »

I wonder how non-binary authors would compare with this. As far as what's been said on this thread, I apparently write like a girl :P I am trying to get better at writing good action scenes, though. Or any action scenes :P
Purple-handed peep Volger with a flash tattoo hoverboarding around the Lynx in the blue hour with adreneline coursing through his penguins while failing to own the sunset! In a hoop skirt.

Pan the Imperial Bucket Holder

"Early to bed, early to rise, early to plan the world's demise"
- Catvomitsky
Pages: [1] 2