Scott Westerfeld Forum

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Male or Female Writers?  (Read 3223 times)

Gentlebiscuit

Re: Male or Female Writers?
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2015, 11:36:13 AM »

I think if I had to choose from those reasons I'd go with the second one; I think a more emotive writing style just appeals more to teenagers in particular. Particularly if it's angsty. Because http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TrueArtIsAngsty

I wonder how non-binary authors would compare with this. As far as what's been said on this thread, I apparently write like a girl :P I am trying to get better at writing good action scenes, though. Or any action scenes :P

Well again it's just a generalization. But, if we had to apply one I'd say they'd probably write most like the gender they have the most hormones of. Because Estrogen [the female hormone] often causes mood swings, strong bursts of emotion, angst, that sort of thing while testosterone is basically what makes people enjoy watching stuff blow up.

Hiss.

Ceres

• Orangé Tong
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2015, 11:53:34 AM »

well obviously it's a lot more complicated than that, it also has to do with how the brain is wired, social expectations, all that good stuff. And having estrogen doesn't mean that its effects will always translate into your writing. But I'd say non-binary authors would fall somewhere in the middle, more often than not leaning towards the gender their brain is wired like, which is likely their biological sex. That's all speculation tho

Chairlegs

• Pet Peeves? Why would you keep a Peeve as a pet?
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2015, 12:43:50 PM »

I feel that men have a tendency to do better plot lines whereas the females have a better tendency to throw in a competition or a twist that nobody will see, but will except anyway.

The males writers have a better build up to Romances. (eg. A life long or year long relationship that slowly grows and develops over time) But only if the romance is a part time thing. Like in Levi

Females have a better sense of humor and can make jokes about men with out being sexist. (don't deny this, they do it.)
Yolo? NO! You live every day
The correct term is YODO. You.Only.Die.Once
Make sure that never happens

Julia The Bookworm

• There are choices in life, and I take some of them
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2015, 01:29:14 PM »

Females have a better sense of humor and can make jokes about men with out being sexist. (don't deny this, they do it.)
You could say that about any writer of any minority group when they joke about their minority group though.

And I wouldn't peg genre writing skill on a person's sex entirely.

There's a lot of famous male humorist writers Terry Prattchet, Douglas Adams, Mark Twain to name a few.

Gentlebiscuit

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2015, 01:34:53 PM »

This

But again, we are making generalizations, big broad sweeps. If you go far enough into detail you might as well say there's no difference, because there are male and female writers in every genre, we're just clumping together the larger percentages to make an overall image of what they don't have in common, or rather what traits just appear more often in the work of one gender or the other.

Hiss.
Pages: 1 [2]