Scott Westerfeld Forum

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12

Author Topic: Irony  (Read 13471 times)

mollygator24

Re: Irony
« Reply #105 on: November 25, 2010, 01:27:42 PM »

I'm not saying anymore then this:

Be courteous and respectful to your fellow members at all times. Use your best judgment as to what being courteous and respectful means in a given situation.

Rule one of the forum. 

If you do have a disagreement or problem with another member, you can either discuss it with that member or you can PM a moderator for ideas on how to handle it. If you opt to discuss your problem with that member first, do it in a respectful manner. "In a respectful manner" always means via Private Message. Don't gang up on people or bully someone or publicly humiliate anyone (i.e. by starting an argument in a thread that everyone can see), etc. Just use your common sense--we all have a good idea of what's polite and what isn't. There is no need for public arguments.

Alternatively, you can PM the moderator first if you're having a problem with another member and need some help dealing with it. If it becomes necessary to involve a moderator in a disagreement in any way, do so via Private Message. The moderator will then decide how to handle the situation and may or may not involve the administrator.

Once you have worked with a moderator to resolve the problem, you can send a private message to the administrator if you still feel that your disagreement is unresolved. The administrator may ask to see the previous correspondence between you and the other member, and between you and the moderator.

Conflict Resolution part of the forum rules. 

KingOfSpades

« Reply #106 on: November 25, 2010, 02:04:08 PM »

Be courteous and respectful to your fellow members at all times. Use your best judgment as to what being courteous and respectful means in a given situation.

Courteous and respectful have no solid definitions.  They're vague terms, and therefore useless.

If you do have a disagreement or problem with another member, you can either discuss it with that member or you can PM a moderator for ideas on how to handle it. If you opt to discuss your problem with that member first, do it in a respectful manner. "In a respectful manner" always means via Private Message. Don't gang up on people or bully someone or publicly humiliate anyone (i.e. by starting an argument in a thread that everyone can see), etc. Just use your common sense--we all have a good idea of what's polite and what isn't. There is no need for public arguments.

But here there's the incredibly fuzzy line between what does and does not constitute an "argument."  Half the threads in this forum deal with whether or not character X was a good person/character, and the forums would be very close to completely dead if we banned these...But are those not arguments?  Why not?  What's the difference between those and a bit of back and forth about politics?  When exactly does the line get crossed from "discussion" to "argument?"
Thirteen Knives and Cyanide

Beth-la

• Laughter Is Eternity
« Reply #107 on: November 25, 2010, 02:12:59 PM »

What I'm getting at here: If there's a problem, don't just try and pressure other people into doing something else.  Talk about it, and agree on a rule that'll stop it from ever happening again.  Or you could sweep this all under the rug and pretend that everything is sunshine and rainbows while throwing terrified glances at everyone around you to make sure you aren't breaking the mold.  That would certainly be more in character.
I do see your point. and I completely agree.
We're all about being off-topic on this forum. We really don't care. But when it comes to stuff like politics, we like to leave that to certain threads and PM, you know? And I know I keep going back to this, but one of the main reasons a lot of people left a while ago was because of controversy and arguments about politics. It got really nasty, believe me, and the whole forum was just depressed. A lot of people get on this forum to escape real life, and to go to someplace where they feel they belong and are accepted and can talk about some freaking awesome books! Haha. But anyway, we just like to keep general peace. Of course, a good debate is always fun and welcomed, though.
"Help! One of the geeks has escaped! GEEK ON THE LOOSE! GET A NET!"

*~* WESTERFORUM'S RESIDENT SPAZ & BEAST-LA*~*

Beth-la

• Laughter Is Eternity
« Reply #108 on: November 25, 2010, 02:23:18 PM »

What I'm getting at here: If there's a problem, don't just try and pressure other people into doing something else.  Talk about it, and agree on a rule that'll stop it from ever happening again.  Or you could sweep this all under the rug and pretend that everything is sunshine and rainbows while throwing terrified glances at everyone around you to make sure you aren't breaking the mold.  That would certainly be more in character.
I do see your point. and I completely agree.
We're all about being off-topic on this forum. We really don't care. But when it comes to stuff like politics, we like to leave that to certain threads and PM, you know? And I know I keep going back to this, but one of the main reasons a lot of people left a while ago was because of controversy and arguments about politics. It got really nasty, believe me, and the whole forum was just depressed. A lot of people get on this forum to escape real life, and to go to someplace where they feel they belong and are accepted and can talk about some freaking awesome books! Haha. But anyway, we just like to keep general peace. Of course, a good debate is always fun and welcomed, though.

Oh, one more thing, just to put it out there. If I didn't like anybody on this forum, I wouldn't be here. I don't take well to irritating people, and if I'm around them, of course I won't stick around, because why put yourself through discomfort and misery? I like all of you guys, and no, I'm not lying. I don't bullshit people just to make them think better of me. Sure, some of you guys irritate the death out of me sometimes with our differing opinions, but that's just life, and I get over it.

mollygator24

« Reply #109 on: November 25, 2010, 11:19:33 PM »

Exactly Beth-la.
Oh and KingOfSpades, there is a very distinct line between an argument and a discussion.
Here's the exact definition of an arguement:
A contentious speech act; a dispute where there is strong disagreement
And here's an exact definition of a discussion
An extended communication (often interactive) dealing with some particular topic

See the difference?

KingOfSpades

« Reply #110 on: November 26, 2010, 08:42:29 AM »

Yes.  The difference is you used different words to describe the same thing.  There is no solid definition of what is or isn't "strong disagreement" or "contentious speech."  You could say that this post or that is contentious, I could say it's not, and neither of us could prove it either way because there are absolutely no criterion for judging these things.

Beth-la

• Laughter Is Eternity
« Reply #111 on: November 26, 2010, 08:45:04 AM »

No, there isn't any criterion to judge that kind of thing. But, do you at least see where we're coming from?

Hannah Burger

« Reply #112 on: November 26, 2010, 08:46:02 AM »

Wow. We are needing James back.

Beth-la

• Laughter Is Eternity
« Reply #113 on: November 26, 2010, 08:48:01 AM »

Yupp...he would've broken out the pictures on chainsaws by now.  :D

Hannah Burger

« Reply #114 on: November 26, 2010, 08:50:07 AM »

Yupp...he would've broken out the pictures on chainsaws by now.  :D
yupppp............ he 'murders' people for making a shop on WESTERMALL without his permission LOL :D

Beth-la

• Laughter Is Eternity
« Reply #115 on: November 26, 2010, 09:05:44 AM »

Imagine when he founds out that you, me, and Allie ate it...

mollygator24

« Reply #116 on: November 26, 2010, 09:25:17 AM »

JAMES!!!! WE NEED YOU!!!!!!!!

KingOfSpades

« Reply #117 on: November 26, 2010, 01:21:30 PM »

No, there isn't any criterion to judge that kind of thing. But, do you at least see where we're coming from?

Yes.  But you don't seem to see where I'm coming from.  Your rules are written so vaguely that they really aren't rules at all.  In the absence of real rules, the only way to get anyone to do anything is to use peer pressure, the ultimate form of which is public humiliation (or attempts at it, at least).  Your system is self-defeating as is.

Beth-la

• Laughter Is Eternity
« Reply #118 on: November 26, 2010, 01:34:47 PM »

And I agree with that as well, are rules aren't specific. That's the moderators faults though, we have nothing to do with that.

mollygator24

« Reply #119 on: November 26, 2010, 01:37:14 PM »

I see where you are coming from, but there is a difference, just like I said in my former post. I hate either, for they both lead to fighting. I like disregarding any discussion/argument unless its about a book or characters.  But stuff like politics, rules, etc. I hate. It leads to fighting, screaming, and our favorite people leaving.

This happened with my mom and dad, thats why Im so touchy about it. They kept discussing rhings such as that ^^, and it left to my mom leaving my dad. Stuff like these "discussions" remind me of what my mom and dad said to each other. They didnt stop, nor will they ever.

Do you want everyone on here to be like that?

I sure dont. It makes me cry thinking about these type discussions as you so call them.

So please, stop?
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12