Scott Westerfeld Forum

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: So am I the only one?  (Read 5520 times)

Eraisuithiel

Re: So am I the only one?
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2013, 12:20:41 PM »

Just going to put this out there: If you honestly think that people who haven't read the books can't be hardcore fans of a movie (NOTE: this is just the movie/ movie series, etc.), then I shake my head at you. I mean, I'm a HUGE fan of the Game of Thrones tv show, but I've only really read the first book. So does that mean I'm a 'fake fan' of GoT?

I get where you guys are coming from, but you really have to lighten up. The way you're acting now, you could be chasing away potential friends and people who could really help strengthen the fandom by throwing the 'fake fan' label everywhere.

Panzercrappitastica

• Westerforum Resident Exalt
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2013, 12:22:01 PM »

People who haven't read the books can totally be real, hardcore fans of the movie. Just not of the book.
Purple-handed peep Volger with a flash tattoo hoverboarding around the Lynx in the blue hour with adreneline coursing through his penguins while failing to own the sunset! In a hoop skirt.

Pan the Imperial Bucket Holder

"Early to bed, early to rise, early to plan the world's demise"
- Catvomitsky

Eraisuithiel

« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2013, 12:28:23 PM »

Yeah, that's what I'm saying. And its something you all need to wrap your heads around.
Though just being a fan of the movie isn't a bad thing, either. And, again, they're not fake fans of the Uglies series. And if we go off on a rampage about how people who've only seen the movies are fake and how only people who've read the books loooong before the movie came out are 'teh troo fans', then do you really think they're going to want to get into the fandom and start reading the books at all? Probably not.

All I'm saying is, when and if the movie comes out, we need to give the new waves of fans a chance before we start condemning them.

Catvomitsky

• nothing nkight
« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2013, 01:02:30 PM »

Not all fans of the movie will be fake, but it pretty much goes without saying that the movie WILL bring in a lot of "fake" fans. That was what we were trying to get at.

Eraisuithiel

« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2013, 01:09:11 PM »

And, again, I don't think they're going to be fake. Maybe annoying, yes, lots of them will be annoying. But hey, some of the current book fans annoy me, too.

But whatever. When the movie comes out I'm going to be off enjoying myself watching it and having discussions about it and not worrying about labeling certain fans as being 'fake' or 'true'.
Pages: 1 2 [3]