Scott Westerfeld Forum

Author Topic: Allies and Enemies  (Read 936 times)

tridecagirl

• It's never too late.
    • Pencil to Paper: The Daily Life of a Compulsive Writer
Allies and Enemies
« on: April 27, 2011, 12:12:01 AM »

WWI was all about alliances. That's what sucked the whole world into one little skirmish. War is about who you're allied with and who your enemy is. But Leviathan turns all of this on its head.
1. Alek, a Clanker, is attacked by his own 'allies'.
2. The Leviathan is remade into a Clanker/Darwinist hybrid, crossing the ally divide.
3. Alek and Deryn blatantly become bffs, ignoring the fact that they're technically enemies. One of them mentions "it's silly waiting for all those world leaders to decide if we're enemies or not"
4. Alek eventually helps Lilit start a revolution, even though an anarchist overthrow of a ruler is contrary to his own position

What do you think Scott is trying to say about enimity, alliance, and war in general?
Just close your eyes/ The sun is going down/ You'll be all right/ No one can hurt you now/ Come morning light/ You and I'll be safe... and... sound
***WESTERFORUM RESIDENT MOM/TREEHUGGER***

tridecagirl

• It's never too late.
    • Pencil to Paper: The Daily Life of a Compulsive Writer
Re: Allies and Enemies
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 12:13:58 AM »

To answer my own question, I think he's pointing out that war creates divides that aren't really there. In our culture we see a country like North Korea and think 'enemy'. But not everyone there is an enemy. Plenty of them are normal people. I think he's criticizing the whole idea of people targeting each other because they're different..

... I just wanted to pretend to be deep, and find depth in the book.  ;)
Just close your eyes/ The sun is going down/ You'll be all right/ No one can hurt you now/ Come morning light/ You and I'll be safe... and... sound
***WESTERFORUM RESIDENT MOM/TREEHUGGER***

JayBird

• Who... Who took my bananas?
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 01:49:40 AM »

... I just wanted to pretend to be deep, and find depth in the book.  ;)

Well, I think you've done alright.  :D
Besides, I think there's something quite interesting in this series about the future of gentic enjineering. (SPELLING! SORRY!) And how it'll affect us in the years to come.

*Please let the future contain flying whales, oh please*
"It says here you served overseas."
"That's right."
"The Isle of Wight is hardly overseas, is it?"
"You try walking there."

waxesnostalgic

• Crazed Leviathan Fangirl
    • Leviathan Wiki
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 05:26:22 AM »

Yes, I agree that's one of his messages. Which is why I am not too surprised or upset at the idea of Alek not taking the throne. Monarchical ideas are quite contrary to the message in the book, and the message of most of Scott's books really.

In the Clanker/Darwinist divide, I think he's also showing how one method of technology is not necessarily better than the other. Certain Darwinist devices are superior, and certain Clanker devices are superior, but neither is inherently superior in itself. This makes America's technological methods seem very sensible, and I can't wait to see how they handle things. Also Darwinism in the book encourages readers to sort of "think outside the box" with how there are other options besides "Clanker" things. :)

Flying whales in the future would be awesome, though.
"I may not understand Goliath," he said simply. "But I understand Darwinist fabrications even less."
"Keep it that way," Volger said. "You're the heir to the Austrian throne, not some zookeeper." -Goliath

Leviathan Wiki

LiterateChick

• Please don't take anything I say too seriously. ;P
    • LiterateChick Reviews
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 06:35:11 AM »

I like that idea, that Leviathan is about not creating barriers that aren't really there. I think it also speaks a little bit about making your own decisions about people, like not letting someone else's prejudices effect your opinion about someone, y'know? Like Alek and Deryn being raised, essentially, to hate each other, but instead they (hopefully!) end up falling in love because they get to know the person for themselves even though pretty much everyone they know wouldn't think twice, it'd just be 'oh, they're a Darwinist/Clanker, they're obviously not worth my time' 'cause that's what they were raised to think, because that's what everyone else's opinion is, but they don't let that sway their opinions, and rambley sentence is rambley. ^^; But yeah, that's my input. :D
If actions speak louder than words, why is the pen mightier than the sword?
I reject your reality and substitute my own
<3
It's physics magic!
ಠ_ಠ
ಠ_ృ Monocle... Not smile