Scott Westerfeld Forum

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Being a Hero Has Its Price  (Read 8938 times)

shadley

Re: Being a Hero Has Its Price
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2011, 10:58:19 AM »

Let's start listing Heroes in all kinds of media and their sacrifices. Hmm so another hero, Percy Jackson.SPOILER. According to the lost hero, it seems he has been lost and without his memory.

tridecagirl

• It's never too late.
    • Pencil to Paper: The Daily Life of a Compulsive Writer
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2011, 11:11:34 AM »

Frodo - loses a finger and a good chunk of his sanity.
Harry Potter - MEGA SPOILERS...    dies....sort of moot, but he does lose some friends as well
the guy in I Am Legend blows himself up
Just close your eyes/ The sun is going down/ You'll be all right/ No one can hurt you now/ Come morning light/ You and I'll be safe... and... sound
***WESTERFORUM RESIDENT MOM/TREEHUGGER***

shadley

« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2011, 12:29:10 PM »

Thank you for ruining Harry Potter for me! Kiddin' like anyone doesn't know how it ends. Ok more heroes(and Heroines), Ooh major heroine Karen Desonne from Generation Dead series. Minor spoilage! She became a differently biotic(Zombie-ish) person from killing herself. Since she has tried to live her second life the way she never did her first and is standing up against the Differently Biotic haters. Along with dealing with her internal conflicting thoughts.

Bananza

• i hope my logic in this post doesnt confuzzul u :)
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2011, 08:21:26 AM »

interesting...... :o
Frodo - loses a finger and a good chunk of his sanity.
Harry Potter - MEGA SPOILERS...    dies....sort of moot, but he does lose some friends as well
the guy in I Am Legend blows himself up
FRODO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D FRODO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! as u can see im OBSESSED with LORD OF THE RINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
im a spy from Middle Earth aboard the Leviathan who graduated Hogwarts with a portal back to Middle Earth in my room at my moms and a portal to Haven at my dads, who fights Darklings at midnight and helps Tally save the world on the weekends and won the Hunger Games. IM TA NINJA IN ALEK'S SPAREROOM.

Lolz ;)

« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2012, 10:33:12 PM »

Bea-la

trolololol

Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 09:25:09 PM
I don't think he's trying to say anything, I think that's a basic life scenario for you.  Take Abe Lincoln, freeing the slaves got him killed.  It's just a fact that you have to make sacrifices to help people.  Oh, and you should say that their are spoilers here.  (It kind of spoiled Midnighters for me)

Dude, this spoiled Midnighters for me, too :(

Bea-la

« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2012, 01:46:53 AM »

Bea-la

trolololol

Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 09:25:09 PM
I don't think he's trying to say anything, I think that's a basic life scenario for you.  Take Abe Lincoln, freeing the slaves got him killed.  It's just a fact that you have to make sacrifices to help people.  Oh, and you should say that their are spoilers here.  (It kind of spoiled Midnighters for me)

Dude, this spoiled Midnighters for me, too :(

Why the trololol and my post count?

Luna Lovegood

• Westerforum's Resident David Hater
« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2012, 12:06:29 PM »

And I do feel like Katniss suffered quite a bit for being the Mockingjay.

Panzercrappitastica

• Westerforum Resident Exalt
« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2014, 12:32:55 PM »

Ressurecting because this is an awesome thread and we need more Westerfeld discussion on the Westerfeld forum! :P
Also, just going to say: I may be too late, but big spoilers for Midnighters and Uglies are in this thread! Also, probably just assume Westerfeld spoilers in general on this thread :P

I agree with the idea that being a hero has a price, and that maybe Scott is trying to send that message, but I'd honestly never thought about it in his books before I found this thread. But we were just talking about it in English, so it's good timing. I think Leviathan didn't have that theme quite as much as Midnighters and Uglies, but then Afterworlds did again, at least in the book-within-book Afterworlds. The story with Lizzie. Talking about this is a bit confusing XD Anyway. (I think the spoiler alert is sort of a given here but I'll say it anyway :P) Because there was death and trauma and Agent Reyes ;-; And also she got rid of the bad man but she also got rid of part of Mindy when she did so. So not even just being a hero, but the heroism itself can have a price.
Purple-handed peep Volger with a flash tattoo hoverboarding around the Lynx in the blue hour with adreneline coursing through his penguins while failing to own the sunset! In a hoop skirt.

Pan the Imperial Bucket Holder

"Early to bed, early to rise, early to plan the world's demise"
- Catvomitsky

baranbaran

« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2015, 04:28:15 PM »

what kind of prices????
Graduated from Soran University with First Class Degree with Honours in Computer Science.
Pages: 1 2 [3]