Scott Westerfeld Forum

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Say hi to newbies(not me)  (Read 3367 times)

FleaBird6

• DNA
Say hi to newbies(not me)
« on: January 23, 2011, 07:38:43 AM »

I have noticed a lot of newbies(me included, when I was a newbie) not doing an introduction post.  So here is a place to say hi to them, mention their name(but tell them first).

So, HI, everyone ;D
Hello, and how is your day today?

By_the_Books

• I'm a paradoxical butterfly.
Re: Say hi to newbies(not me)
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 08:08:48 AM »

Hey All,

So as you can probably tell, I am a newbie, just trying to introduce myself.

A little bit about myself: I'm a girl (it may not be that easy to tell from my username). I've obviously read at least one of Scott Westerfeld's books (Leviathan and Behemoth, to be exact), and I obviously liked it/them enough to search up this site and join it. I enjoy reading, but when I'm not reading, I'm playing sports. I like soccer, volleyball, swimming, and basketball, but soccer is my favorite (I'm a goalkeeper, for anyone interested). I'd like to think that I'm smart, but I rather like proving it more. I'm 14 years old, but no sass! I'd also like to think I'm more mature than most 14 year olds, so don't treat me like a kid. If I like it here (and I think I will), I reckon I'll stay a bit.

How I found out about Scott Westerfeld: This Christmas break, I was randomly walking around a bookstore looking for, of all things, a book. I'll read just about anything that looks interesting to me, so I saw the cover of Leviathan and picked it up to read the summary. I almost didn't buy it, but on a whim, I did, thinking 'Well I've never read anything like this before, so why not?' I got home, started reading, and was hooked (I now love the brilliant genre of steampunk). The second I was done, I already had Behemoth loading on my Nook eReader. I finished that to, and was still hooked. So I searched up Westerfeld and found this cozy little corner of the Web. I toyed with the idea of joining, but after the break, I was to busy, with school and whatnot. So I just got around to joining... But I'm a member now, right? I do plan on reading some of Westerfeld's other novels, so I'll be able to talk with people other than the Leviathan junkies!

So that's just a tiny snippet about me (even if some may consider it a not-all-that-tiny introduction post, compared to some very short intros I've seen before). If I stick around, you lot will probably get to know me a bit better than that. So I'll stick around!
Hey! You guys can call me Jeesh! Yeah... Probably not going to happen...

I'm not a newbie, alright? I just don't have an enourmosly high post count like all of these other mental people. ;P

**Westerforum Resident Footballer and Merlin Fangirl**

Beth-la

• Laughter Is Eternity
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 09:57:13 AM »

'Ello! Hope you both like it here. We love newbies. :)
"Help! One of the geeks has escaped! GEEK ON THE LOOSE! GET A NET!"

*~* WESTERFORUM'S RESIDENT SPAZ & BEAST-LA*~*

FleaBird6

• DNA
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 10:07:14 AM »

Welcome!
We all love newbies!

Your story is similar to mine. I may be 13, and a girl, but I'm not a dumb blonde.  I HATE THOSE JOKES.  Sorry, had to vent some where.

Some frank info(also harsh) on this forem and its liabilitys(I take it upon myself to be the dark, omnious, annoying, serious one who explains almost all faults ;D )

This forem does go off-topic.  If you want to stay on topic, ask us, we usually will.  Just remind us again, or start/find a new thread.  We are not all complete barking dummkofts :)
We can swear at times.  MOST people, limit it to when someone/a character/a situation/a comment REALLY ticks them off.  If you wish them to stop, bring it up, they might not always stop, but you don't have to read their posts
Some of us like to blow stuffup- in our imaginations ONLY.  There is no need to call the FBI, CIA, ect.

On that happy note, we are all kind folk.  We all have varied intrests, but we all like Scott's books(No Duh).

Have a nice day(sorry, couldn't think of anything else).  And have fun! ;D  :)  ;) :D

Qui

• What!?
    • Idiosyntral (my blog)
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011, 12:08:03 PM »

Hello guys, I'm new. I don't like to be called a newbie, I don't even like saying it, so please keep it to a minimum. more about me is; I like books, (leviathan & Behemoth and others), I like to draw, and I do some rping on another forum. otherwise, I am 15, I think a lot of this -->    is going on around here, so I'll try to fit in by not. (sorry if that was rude.)  :o anyway. I'll try to stick around. I also write some, and failed to win Nanowrimo for the past three years, if that means anything to anyone. Hi.
I like to be prolix but it's folly.

FleaBird6

• DNA
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2011, 01:36:01 PM »

Welcome!

Do I need to write out another flaws-of-this-forem-speech?

Ok, (bout the newbie thing) It is just a way for other members to help compleatly new to forems people, like I was.

Frankness and bluntness are good qualities.  I hope you will change your opinion on us, though.  I am a little hurt by how you stereo(stereo-solid)typed us, I hope you can realize that none of us think that way once you start discusding.  I mainly stay on the Leviathon threads, too.

tridecagirl

• It's never too late.
    • Pencil to Paper: The Daily Life of a Compulsive Writer
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2011, 04:42:32 AM »

I haven't seen any glassy eyed automatons runnign around, just saying.  :-\
Just close your eyes/ The sun is going down/ You'll be all right/ No one can hurt you now/ Come morning light/ You and I'll be safe... and... sound
***WESTERFORUM RESIDENT MOM/TREEHUGGER***

Qui

• What!?
    • Idiosyntral (my blog)
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2011, 06:45:53 AM »

I have changed my opinion already, this is a nice place, so I take it back.
I like to be prolix but it's folly.

Kaede

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2011, 01:51:46 PM »

Hello all!  I'm new, obviously  :)  I joined a few days ago, but said hi in another thread.  I think maybe the reason some newbies don't introduce themselves is because it's a bit confusing with so many welcome threads floating around.  Maybe there should be one central one with a list of questions that newbies can answer to help in the getting to know you thing.  Anyway, it's highly possible that I'm just technologically (and forumly) retarded!  :P

The first books of Scott's that I read were Leviathan and Behemoth, after which I hastily ordered the Uglies series and Parasite Positive and The Last Days from the Book Depository.  Has anyone else heard of the Book Depository?  It's a great site where you can buy books for great prices!  Books where I live are very expensive, hence my incredibly poor status  :(

Umm, more about me... I obviously like reading quite a lot.  A few of my favourite authors are Sara Douglass, Kate Forsyth, Isobelle Carmody, Garth Nix, and obviously now Scott Westerfeld.  I like writing too.  I used to do gymnastics, ballet, archery and fencing, but since academic things have become more demanding, I've cut back.  Sigh.  I can't really think of much else to say.  I love animals and have a lovely labrador and an insane fighting fish, and I'm soon going to get an axolotl!  ;D  And that's me.

FleaBird6

• DNA
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2011, 01:59:52 PM »

Welcome!

No, everyone here is crazy (jk) :)
Do you mean betas?  I think there real name is fighting fish?

Kaede

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2011, 02:04:01 PM »

Yep, he's a beta.  I called him Wapcaplet after a Monty Python skit!  :D

And don't worry, insanity is good  :P

FleaBird6

• DNA
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2011, 02:11:06 PM »

How long are they supposed to live?  Our family is a lityle negligent on cleaning the tanks, and yeah..... 2 of them just died.

What genres are those authors?

Kaede

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2011, 02:15:24 PM »

They're all fantasy authors - my favourite genre!  :D

I've had mine for a year, but two of my friends had theirs die after only six months.  They didn't clean out the water that often and one of them got fin rot.  The fish, not the friend...

FleaBird6

• DNA
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2011, 02:33:21 PM »

Oh. My familys must be really hardy, because we have had the betas for 3ishy years in less than steller conditions

Why did you like Leviathon?

I liked it because of deryn, but then Behemoth because of Alek.  I hope that i'll like Golith because of both of them :)

Kaede

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2011, 02:54:00 PM »

I think I like it mainly because of the Darwinist animals.  The characters are great, but I think I just like the actual world the story is set in the most.  I really didn't like Alek in Leviathan, but I warmed up to him in Behemoth.  And Deryn is just great in both!  :)
Pages: [1] 2 3