Scott Westerfeld Forum

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11

Author Topic: Scott- Will you answer our interview-type/random questions?  (Read 19830 times)

Holly-wa

Scott- Will you answer our interview-type/random questions?
« on: January 10, 2010, 10:49:51 AM »

I'll start!

Scott, How's the movie coming along?  ;D

And also, how 'far gone' are you in the steampunkery scene?

One last question (Question Hogger).. How did you get those pixel-versions of yourselves done? Did the artists contact you for reference, or did they just show up with a picture?
The eBoy artists of the geekery book, I mean.
Behold, steampunk egg of awesomeness! Click me!

Team Toshi Banana

• CableSnow the dust mite says stay icy!
Re: Scott- Will you answer our interview-type/random questions?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 10:56:19 AM »

Question for Scott:
What made you decide to become a writer? Was there any one person or event that inspired you? (just curious, I haven't seen an answer for this anywhere)
Sorry I've been away from the forum for a while... I've been really busy...

Chloe-Wa

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 10:58:54 AM »

I have a question for scott:
in another topic we were discussing whether it would be better for society to be a pretty-like society to avoid war and conflict, or would it be bad because it would prevent creativity and reduce knowledge- what do you think?
The most courageous act is still to think for yourself. Aloud. Coco Chanel
Fashions fade, style is eternal. Yves Saint Laurent

Kay-la

• Bahahaahaha :) 'Ello Govna!
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010, 10:59:30 AM »

I have a question for scott:
in another topic we were discussing whether it would be better for society to be a pretty-like society to avoid war and conflict, or would it be bad because it would prevent creativity and reduce knowledge- what do you think?

Or would we? o.O Hahaha :)
"Remember that the most beautiful things in the world are the most useless."

crim13

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2010, 10:59:56 AM »

What made you become a writer? And what was the very first book you ever wrote?
... until the stars have blinked their last,
wherever on Earth you walk,
he will arouse, excite, inspire,
my Valentine, my one dark fire...

scott_himself

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2010, 11:03:23 AM »

Yes, I am answering random questions. The randomer the better!

So, how was I inspired to become a writer? Here's a GIGANTIC answer:

My big Texas family taught me the power of storytelling.

Every Christmas or Thanksgiving, at least a dozen of us would make the long drive to my grandparents' house, in a tiny town with unpaved roads and no street signs. Like any large family group, clamor and chaos ruled most of the day. But at some point an unannounced migration toward the living room would begin, a strange calm descending across four generations. Suddenly, just one person would be talking, the rest of us in rapt silence.

Most of the stories were from the ancient past. How my uncle had hunted crocodiles on a Pacific island during World War II (with a machine gun, naturally). How my grandparents' long-distance relationship (twelve miles in 1928) meant they could only see each other once a week, at church. How my uncles and aunts survived childhood encounters with rattlesnakes, or falls from tractors, or rides on runaway horses.

All of these stories were well told; the techniques of pacing, repetition, and detail were passed on in tandem with the family history. But storytelling skills weren't the most important things that I learned in that living room. What those tales really taught me was the power of Story, how a lone voice can silence wrestling five-year olds, bring a family together, even preempt a college football game. (And I remind you that this was Texas.)

It's these realizations that make people want to be writers: that stories are valued, that language is powerful.

One of my favorite things about young fans is how much feedback they give you—on their blogs, in emails, even with old-fashioned letters. And judging from the feedback I've received, I'm not alone in those discoveries about Story. Teenagers are wonderfully aware of the potency of language. They're dutiful memorizers of lyrics, bestowers of nicknames, and inventors of slang, all the while writing poetry, diaries, fan fic, movie scripts, novels, and manga. They chat, they blog; and don't forget, they're the ones who made "text" a verb.

Language is a playground for teens, one that's still under construction, which makes them an energetic, demanding, and rewarding audience. They won't just tell me what they thought of a book, they'll tell me in great detail how it changed their lives. What more could a writer ask?

So when I sit down at my computer, I try to recall the stories that changed me back in that living room in small-town Texas. I go for the drama of crocodiles and machine guns, rattlesnakes and runaway horses. I go for the heartache of being separated from your sweetheart by twelve long miles. And most of all, I try to respect the power of Story, and to remember how much my audience loves words and language, new and old.

Good stories aren't just about how events change people, after all—they are one of the things that change and define us all.

crim13

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2010, 11:06:31 AM »

Wow that's a really long answer! But I guess you figured we would ask you that huh? Wow I can't believe I am actually talking to an author! I love your books! What is your next big book project?

psychosomatic13

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2010, 11:07:59 AM »

Hey Scott who's your favorite character out of all your books?

scott_himself

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2010, 11:08:27 AM »

Yes, I saw that thread. It would certainly be hard to argue against a "cure" for war. But if you're giving ever human being brain damage against their will, that's pretty bad. Also, though war is bad, conflict is not always a terrible thing. Without it, we don't have progress and change. (For that matter, without the Civil War we might still have slavery.) So I think that I'm on the side of creativity and conflict!

crim13

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2010, 11:08:48 AM »

Which book or series was the hardest to write? Why?

scott_himself

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2010, 11:10:05 AM »

Hey Scott who's your favorite character out of all your books?

Right now I like Deryn (from Leviathan) the best. She's a lot of fun to write, because of her pugnaciousness and turn of phrase. Her Scottish accent is based on an old girlfriend of mine, by the way. So the way she talks isn't really that fanciful.

karenwolf

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2010, 11:12:21 AM »

Hi Scott, do you plan on doing a tour soon? Because Vancouver BC Canada is waiting for your arrival!!

crim13

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2010, 11:12:29 AM »

She's my favorite character out of Leviathan! I love how adventurous she is!

Beli-wa

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2010, 11:14:02 AM »

YAY shes MY fav character too!
je sais que tu n'aimes pas ta réalité -METRIC <33

ReineDeVampire

• Party in my eye socket, and everyone's invited!
    • LivEvil
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2010, 11:14:30 AM »

Yes, I saw that thread. It would certainly be hard to argue against a "cure" for war. But if you're giving ever human being brain damage against their will, that's pretty bad. Also, though war is bad, conflict is not always a terrible thing. Without it, we don't have progress and change. (For that matter, without the Civil War we might still have slavery.) So I think that I'm on the side of creativity and conflict!

I agree!

Scott, did you ever check out Repo! The Genetic Opera? :)

"I'm not like all the other girls
I can't take it like the other girls
I won't share it like the other girls
That you used to know"
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11