Scott Westerfeld Forum

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The FUTURE (fanfics)  (Read 2464 times)

Vanilla Ice cream

The FUTURE (fanfics)
« on: February 16, 2011, 12:27:07 PM »

Deryn walked out from the gangplank and into the sunshine.  Ahh, it was nice to be on solid ground again.
Deryn had been working on the Leviathan for a long time.  When she was eighteen, the captain found out about her being a girl, and the bumrag had been about to kick her off, when the boffin, luckily who was visiting at the time, had given the captain a long talk about woman's rights, and other things.
Deryn had been allowed to stay.
Most of the crew had found out too, and so she was given many glances.  Deryn let her hair grow out a tiny bit, so that it was touching her shoulders.  She knew she should cut it soon, but she liked looking a bit more like a girl.
Now she was nineteen, and she was no longer a middie, being bumped up a few spaces.
There were many reporters, and she pushed them away.  Apparently being female and working aboard and airship made you instantly famous.
   The Leviathan was parked because there was some fancy ball dinner thing, and a lot of important people were going to be there.  Deryn, sadly, would be expected to go.
Its probably just for people to get on the higher people’s good side.  Thought Deryn.

Two hours later, Deryn was unpacking her bag, and pulling out her fancy blue dress made of silk.  She pulled it on and looked at herself in the mirror.
Did she look pretty?
Stop that, she told herself.   You are a soldier.  Not a girl swinging her skirts.  That all ended four years ago. 
Four years ago, when Alek, her.. the boy she loved.. left.  He had his princely duties, and the war, to take care of.
Since then, she had vowed never to make the mistake of falling in love again.
Three hours later, she took a cab with some of the more important crewman down to the place the ball was to be held.  The people in the taxi with her were all males, so it was a bit awkward.  Nobody really said anything the whole way there.
When they got there, the captain was already there.  She nodded a greeting, and he returned it.
Then, she entered.
There were lots of people.  Deryn had been at one of these before, and you just go over to the refreshment table.
So she did this.  She stood, a bit awkwardly, and looked at the people.  There were lots of fancy ruffle dresses, and suits.  Then, she turned, to get herself a drink, and stopped.  There was a man across from her, and he looked up and saw her, and stopped.
“Hello.” Deryn said politley.
“Hello.” The man said back.  “Can I get you a drink?”
He was polite.
“Yes please.”
Deryn had to put on her queenly act.
He filled a cup with wine and handed it to her, touching her hand longer that was neccesary.  Deryn politely took a sip, and tried not to choke.  She hated wine.
The man smiled.
“I know, its a bit strong.”

"Yeah, ouch.' Deryn said, her eyes watering.
Just then, an older man approached the man she was talking to.
"Sir, we need your attention to a matter concerning the money from Hungary".
"Later, Bauer.  Can't I have a break for once?"
The man bowed his head and left.
Deryn's mind was whirring.
Bauer, that name sounded familiar.
Then it hit her.  She looked up at the man, saw his dark green eyes and dark hair.
It was Alek.
She wanted to run up to him, hug him.
"I get no rest, its all duties, duties, and work."  Alek said, shaking his head.
"That must be hard."
"tell me about it.  Anyway, I suppose I should introduce myself.  I'm Alek."  Alek held out a hand.
Should Deryn tell him her real name?
"Danielle."  She shook the hand.
Deryn did not know why she didn't tell him who she was.
_______
Danielle was very pretty, and looked about his age.  Her eyes were a sky blue, and looked strangely familiar.
"It seems like we're all just here to get on people's good sides, and trade favors." Alek said.
Danielle nodded.  "Just a bunch of lords and ladies, trying to get to the top." She said.
Wow.  Danielle was smart.
"And what's at the top, beside money?" Alek asked.
"Well, money, and power, but thats it."
His thoughts exactly.
"Well, enough about politics and power.  Would you like to dance?"
Danielle nodded.  She looked slightly nervous.
"I suppose.  But let me warn you, it is my first time."
"Your first time?  Well, I'll be careful."
Danielle smiled, and took his arm.
She was a great dancer.
Her footsteps were light, and she never stepped on his foot.  Her dress swirled, and her eyes sparkled.  She looked vaguely familiar.
Finally, they retreated to the balcony.  The stars were twinkling, and it was a warm summer night.
Alek wanted to enjoy the freedom he had, before he was called back to the archduke duties, and other things.
Danielle stared out at the horizon.  This moment was feeling very familiar now.

"Its a very nice night." said Danielle said pleasently.
"Yes.." agreed Alek.
There was an uncomfertable silence.
Danielle stared off into the distance.
Alek remembered the last time this had happened, about four years ago.  A girl named Deryn.  He had had to leave her, because of duties, and because she wasn't royalty.
Would she mind if she saw him here, with a different girl?
Alek felt guilty.
"Well, I suppose I should be going." said Danielle.
Alek nodded.
"This was fun.  I hope to be meeting you again, Danielle." said Alek.
Danielle nodded, and left.
A few minutes later, Volger came out onto the balcony.
"Who was that young lady?" he asked.
"I don't really know.  Her name is Danielle." said Alek.
"She seemed extremly familiar.."
"Yes." said Alek.

"Well, anyway, Bauer should have already told you, we need you to look over something."
Alek sighed.  More things to do.
__
Deryn had left the party after she said goodbye to Alek, and now was sitting in her room, fuming at herself.
You didn't tell him your real name because... because then, he'd know he couldn't love me, and now, he thinks I'm someone of royal blood, and thats why he danced with me!!
Why did you say Danielle? 
I barking don't know!! Its better than Dylan!!
I have a cousin named Danielle.  She's five years old.
He seemed to like you...
Good for him.  Now, I just have to wait until the Leviathan leaves in five days, and avoide him.
You don't want to do that, you like him too much...
Thank you for pointing that out.
He said he wanted to see you again..
Hmmm... Deryn thought.  He did.  Well, I suppose I could put on the duchess act again...

tridecagirl

• It's never too late.
    • Pencil to Paper: The Daily Life of a Compulsive Writer
Re: The FUTURE (fanfics)
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 09:15:40 AM »

Why'd she leave? Geez, everyone's leaving
Just close your eyes/ The sun is going down/ You'll be all right/ No one can hurt you now/ Come morning light/ You and I'll be safe... and... sound
***WESTERFORUM RESIDENT MOM/TREEHUGGER***

waxesnostalgic

• Crazed Leviathan Fangirl
    • Leviathan Wiki
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 10:27:57 AM »

It kind of seems to be a recurring feature of this forum...

If you're gonna leave, you don't have to delete your account, people...  :-\
"I may not understand Goliath," he said simply. "But I understand Darwinist fabrications even less."
"Keep it that way," Volger said. "You're the heir to the Austrian throne, not some zookeeper." -Goliath

Leviathan Wiki

FleaBird6

• DNA
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 11:53:58 AM »

Darn.  You get used to a person, and then there not there.
Hello, and how is your day today?

One Person

• Good. I'm always good.
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 12:26:53 PM »

I'm still here.
I'm a Bandit of this forum!

Vadmaus

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2011, 12:03:49 PM »

I'm still here.
I'm still wondering about weather we should accept you or shun you

FleaBird6

• DNA
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2011, 01:47:04 PM »

What reason did they give for shunning?
How come you get to decide for all of us?  >:(
If you ment for yourself, you should have said"I'm still wondering if I should shun you"
Acceptance is the best policy  ;D

holywalrus2

• Villain, I have done thy mother
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2011, 02:57:06 AM »

He did make fun of gay people...
"Confused? At a loss for what to do? Wow, sounds like you're human. Good luck."

Sprocket

• They are void, we are NULL.
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2011, 02:58:36 AM »

I just hope Alek ends up happy, Deryn ends up happy, and Volger ends up happy. If anyone in this list isnt happy I will eat my hat!
When war is declared, Truth is the first casualty. -Arthur Ponsonby

myst47

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2011, 08:58:55 AM »

WOW... I really liked it!!! Anyway, if Alek and Deryn aren't happy... It ends up like my copy of mockingjay. Sitting on the shelf... Waiting forever to be thrown in a lawn mower.... or a dumpster truck... or something else horrible for a book... Sigh....
Smile! It's good for you! :)
~
Laughing has been scientifically proven to be healthy.

FleaBird6

• DNA
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2011, 09:21:20 AM »

He/She is still new, I know i probably insulted a trillion people when I was new, and some people are extremely opposed, but know he/she knows not to say anything of that caliber, right?

Vadmaus

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2011, 04:06:29 PM »

He/She is still new, I know i probably insulted a trillion people when I was new, and some people are extremely opposed, but know he/she knows not to say anything of that caliber, right?
you still fail to see the gravity of the situation (when gender is unknown, 'he' is appropriatly used for 'mankind'). He broke the Cyberspace Constitution and was racist to alot of people, so, Middie, it doesn't matter if he is new, it should be common sense to not do that.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 04:23:13 PM by General Mockingjay »

FleaBird6

• DNA
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2011, 04:27:03 PM »

You are being quite rude to me. Please stop.

Everyone makes mistakes, and I don't care how inflated you 13-year old boy(on your profile, in case you haven't relized) ego is, I am a 13- year old girl, and I know my rights. You will stop treating me and him/her like we are trash. You have no right to do so.

Vadmaus

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2011, 04:29:05 PM »

I fI was treating you like trash, you would probally be crying, and on top of that, im not treating you like trash, or being rude to you, I'm stating what happened, and what the consequences are.

FleaBird6

• DNA
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2011, 04:34:20 PM »

I fI was treating you like trash, you would probally be crying, and on top of that, im not treating you like trash, or being rude to you, I'm stating what happened, and what the consequences are.

You should go to the moderator if he/she broke the internet thingy, instead of taking matters into your own hands.

I don't have to cry to be hurt. Are you implying that females are weaker, and cry at anything?
Pages: [1] 2