Scott Westerfeld Forum

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Author Topic: WWI; What really happened?  (Read 10389 times)

Volgers Moustache

• Hey, you see that, Yeeah, It's a MOUSTACHE! ~slap~
WWI; What really happened?
« on: February 25, 2011, 05:50:46 AM »

Ok, Leviathan and Behemoth were awesome. We can agree on that, but what really happened in WWI that we don't know of?
VM. You are so funny and great to be around, You make me laugh, you have the weirdest ideas and you're totally cool. I've known you for the majority of the time here, And your one of my favorite forumers. I love all the things on the 19th Century RP (PIANO SEX!!). Your characters are all smooth with

waxesnostalgic

• Crazed Leviathan Fangirl
    • Leviathan Wiki
Re: WWI; What really happened?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 12:47:58 PM »

Huh? As in, different from the books, or just random facts?

Anyway, the guy who really shot Franz Ferdinand was named Gavrilo Princep. He was a member of this really freaky secret society for Serbian nationalism.

And more people died of the 1918 Spanish flu than in the war. At least I think that that is true. (Luckily for Twilight fans, Edward was not one of them.  :P) Lets hope it doesn't get Alek or Deryn.  ;D

Found an interesting picture while researching that. I love old pictures:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sunnybrook100/3998902329/
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 12:53:22 PM by waxesnostalgic »
"I may not understand Goliath," he said simply. "But I understand Darwinist fabrications even less."
"Keep it that way," Volger said. "You're the heir to the Austrian throne, not some zookeeper." -Goliath

Leviathan Wiki

Volgers Moustache

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 01:25:56 PM »

I meant both really. Wow. that picture is creepy. I mean what war machines DID the germans have and stuff like that
VM. You are so funny and great to be around, You make me laugh, you have the weirdest ideas and you're totally cool. I've known you for the majority of the time here, And your one of my favorite forumers. I love all the things on the 19th Century RP (PIANO SEX!!). Your characters are all smooth with

America La

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 01:30:44 PM »

The war was caused by not only Franz Ferdinand's assasination, but also nationalism in Europe, Russia being a creeper in Serbia and causing rebellion, imperialism, and a naval arms race between England and Germany, oh and don't forget secret alliances.

U-Boats were used for the frist time, along with mustard gas and by the end a few tanks and airplanes. Also it was completely (or almost completely) trench warfare and there was a stalemate in France between Germany and France.
So I guess you could say that the Germans had some things comparable to Leviathan, but even tanks at that point really weren't very reliable. Even things like the machine gun could be considered recent inventions, radio was still a new thing (not even avalable to the public until the 1920's), and SONAR hadn't even been invented. 
“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” Dr. Seuss

Vadmaus

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 01:33:35 PM »

Okay here is the lay out:
Serbian nationalists killed Franz Ferdinand and his wife. Austria-Hungary declared war on Serbia.
To protect their Slavic alliance,the Russian Empire dclared war on Austria-Hungary
To inforce the Central alliance between them and Austria, Germany declared war on Russia.
In ordance of their treaty France declared war on Germany.
Germany destroyed or shot British ships, dragging them into the war.
Because the British stole the Sultan Osman I from them, the Ottomans placed the captain of the Goeing, in charge of their entire Navy.
Admiral Suchon, attacked the Russian Navy in a declaration of war, dragging the Ottoman Empire into the war.
By destroying British ships with American passigers on them, Germany dragged America into the war.
the end of the war was brought by the Treaty of Versailli.

Volgers Moustache

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2011, 01:36:47 PM »

Thanks for killing the whole purpose of this thread guys...

Vadmaus

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2011, 01:55:13 PM »

your supposed to think it out, of course we would study WWI if we read a book about it

Seven

• Mad as a hatter!
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2011, 01:56:54 PM »

I meant both really. Wow. that picture is creepy. I mean what war machines DID the germans have and stuff like that

Guns, lots of guns...

"Have you never thought of walking Tazza yourself?"

Dr. Barlow's eyes widened a bit. "What an odd suggestion."

"Mighty unsavory," her loris said.

waxesnostalgic

• Leviathan Wiki
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2011, 01:58:59 PM »

Is it weird that I found the picture kind of cute.  ;D

I don't know too much about war machines. Anyway, I think the British were actually the first to use tanks in the war. (So much for Darwinists XD) They used American tractors and just put armor and guns on them. (Which makes Alek's thought about war machines on tractor treads intended irony). Can't give more info, though, as the only upper-level class I took in undergrad that covered the First World War the professor assigned us philisophical articles on how killing in the war gave people a meat-slaughterhouse mentality or something like that...

Anyway, what do you mean, killing the thread??

General Mockingjay, I think it was a bit more complicated than that. XD
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 02:02:04 PM by waxesnostalgic »
"I may not understand Goliath," he said simply. "But I understand Darwinist fabrications even less."
"Keep it that way," Volger said. "You're the heir to the Austrian throne, not some zookeeper." -Goliath

Leviathan Wiki

Volgers Moustache

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2011, 02:00:09 PM »

Well I asked and the two people just came out with all the info that we were meant to talk about so this thread is about to get reasonably small.

waxesnostalgic

• Leviathan Wiki
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2011, 02:03:07 PM »

Well, there's a lot more than that to know about the war. I kind of wish that I had studied it more when I was getting my history degree... I studied consumerism instead.  ::)

Leviathan Wiki

FleaBird6

• DNA
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2011, 12:54:32 PM »

They only said the big picture.  For example, they said nothing on how WWI impacted the Romohav dystany in Russia.
Hello, and how is your day today?

waxesnostalgic

• Leviathan Wiki
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2011, 02:13:46 PM »

Yes, of course, Red revolt in Russia. (hee alliteration  :))

And you've reminded me of one of my favorite quotes from one of my favorite WWI shows, Blackadder Goes Forth (really, I think no one else on here has ever seen it :() It's very good at summing up things that happened in the war with funny jokes instead of sad drama (at least until the end)

Baldrick: (rushing in) Sir, sir, it's all over the trenches!
Edmund: Well, mop it up then.
Baldrick: No sir, the news. The Russian Revolution has started. The masses have risen up and shoveled their nobs!
George: Well, hurrah!
Edmund: (reading a newspaper) Oh no, the Russians have pulled out of the war.
George: Well, we soon sawed them off, didn't we sir? Miserable slant-eye, sausage eating swine.
Edmund: The Russians are on *our* side, George.
George: Oh really?
Edmund: And they've abandoned the Eastern Front.
Baldrick: And they've overthrown Nicholas II who used to be bizzare.
Edmund: Who used to be *the czar*, Baldrick. The point is, now that the Russians have made peace with the Kaiser. At this very moment, three quarters of a million Germans are leaving the Russian Front and coming over *here* with the express purpose of using my nipples for target practise. 

Sorry, I will quit quoting my show now. XD

Leviathan Wiki

ArtfullyInsane

• Who cares? Just jam out.
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2011, 02:22:05 PM »

that's an......ummmm..............interesting show.
WHAT WOULD JESUS DO?

STABIMUS FEROCIORIS We will stand defiant.
the JUNIOR MINTS will get you in your sleep (Gone MG reference!)
FIDDLEDINK! it's epic.
Hey look! A distraction!
ALEK IS BETTER

*Ba dump chhh*
People say psycho like it's a bad thing

waxesnostalgic

• Leviathan Wiki
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2011, 02:29:27 PM »

Yes, quite interesting.  ;D It's all on YouTube, by the way...  ;)

Leviathan Wiki
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10