Scott Westerfeld Forum

Author Topic: Backround information.  (Read 1625 times)

Volgers Moustache

• Hey, you see that, Yeeah, It's a MOUSTACHE! ~slap~
Backround information.
« on: April 09, 2011, 07:20:43 PM »

This is for any information that we haven't ALREADY discovered in the Leviathan/Behemoth books.

IF there is something that just happens to be witout any backround information..

THIS IS THE PLACE TO GO!

We'll fill in the missing gaps.

Just for fun  ;D
VM. You are so funny and great to be around, You make me laugh, you have the weirdest ideas and you're totally cool. I've known you for the majority of the time here, And your one of my favorite forumers. I love all the things on the 19th Century RP (PIANO SEX!!). Your characters are all smooth with

waxesnostalgic

• Crazed Leviathan Fangirl
    • Leviathan Wiki
Re: Backround information.
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2011, 12:18:29 AM »

Do you mean, what hasn't been dealt with in the books?

I think a topic I made sometime last summer sort of touched on this, "Technology in Leviathan." It sort of turned into a discussion of what kind of machines and creatures they have and what things that they had in 1914 in our world that don't exist in Leviathan. I think the differences are kind of less than I had thought then, though, as I had speculated that they did not have an Eiffel Tower because the French are Darwinists, but Deryn compares the Tesla cannon to it in Behemoth. Obviously, I was wrong there...

Now, though, I'm kind of wondering the same question about the Titanic disaster. Would beasties be better at detecting a large floating hunk of ice than 1912-era "clanker" equipment?

Also, Volger's past. I bet it was interesting.

"I may not understand Goliath," he said simply. "But I understand Darwinist fabrications even less."
"Keep it that way," Volger said. "You're the heir to the Austrian throne, not some zookeeper." -Goliath

Leviathan Wiki

Volgers Moustache

• Hey, you see that, Yeeah, It's a MOUSTACHE! ~slap~
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2011, 08:23:15 AM »

Maybe in the Napoleonic wars, after Napoleon was defeated. Germans (clankers) built a monument to commemorate the lives lost? Since it was France that had held Napoleon, they built it in Paris. And it has stayed there since.

And I was thinking about the Inventors of walkers.
The background for 'Hercules' in Leviathan.
VM. You are so funny and great to be around, You make me laugh, you have the weirdest ideas and you're totally cool. I've known you for the majority of the time here, And your one of my favorite forumers. I love all the things on the 19th Century RP (PIANO SEX!!). Your characters are all smooth with

Sprocket

• They are void, we are NULL.
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2011, 02:06:43 PM »

Did you know that Alek should encounter the invisible Jesus soon? Jehovision, Activate!
When war is declared, Truth is the first casualty. -Arthur Ponsonby

ItalianRose5

• The Real Mrs. Potter
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 04:53:48 AM »

I was thinking about the Titanic thing too.  But also, are the British water ships made from beasties?  Or are they metal.  The ship they made for the Ottomans looks like it's Clankerish (the weird scary beast thing on the inside cover of Behemoth is holding it).  So I dunno.  That was never really explained

waxesnostalgic

• Crazed Leviathan Fangirl
    • Leviathan Wiki
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2011, 06:40:44 AM »

I had assumed that they were metal, but they have "companion" beasties. After all, they make the ship for the Ottomans, who would probably not use a ship that was entirely Darwinist. What I was really wondering was would a beastie be better at keeping the Titanic safe from icebergs than the Clanker equipment they had in our world?
"I may not understand Goliath," he said simply. "But I understand Darwinist fabrications even less."
"Keep it that way," Volger said. "You're the heir to the Austrian throne, not some zookeeper." -Goliath

Leviathan Wiki

ItalianRose5

• The Real Mrs. Potter
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2011, 10:08:08 AM »

If it's a beastie like the Behemoth it would eat the iceberg

Seven

• Mad as a hatter!
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2011, 10:19:56 AM »

If it's a beastie like the Behemoth it would eat the iceberg

Brain freeze!

"Have you never thought of walking Tazza yourself?"

Dr. Barlow's eyes widened a bit. "What an odd suggestion."

"Mighty unsavory," her loris said.

ItalianRose5

• The Real Mrs. Potter
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2011, 12:11:51 PM »

No, it's fabricated so it doesn't get a brain freeze

One Person

• Good. I'm always good.
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2011, 04:18:00 PM »

A Clanker Assassin named Lucas Ferdinand poison his uncle and auntie (Alek's parents) a night before Alek escapes. Lucas and his allies tried to kill Alek's parents all day, but failed and many allies are arrested. Forcing Lucas to disguise as a servant and kill the parents. Nobody knows why Lucas have the guts to kill his own relatives. Is it for money? Is it for the good of the Fatherland? Is it because he hated the rich who ignores the poor? Nobody knows, but Lucas is now hunting Alek. That is my own topic.
Profiles of Lucas and his Clanker brothers will be coming soon.
I'm a Bandit of this forum!

niggledafiggle

• It's underground.
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2011, 06:35:50 PM »

Whoa!

"Sir, I regret to inform you that we're surrounded."
"Excellent. We can attack in all directions!"