Scott Westerfeld Forum

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The Oil Bug Is Real  (Read 2585 times)

KingOfSpades

The Oil Bug Is Real
« on: April 16, 2011, 04:18:36 PM »

No, really.  You remember the BP oil spill last year?  They've discovered a bacterium that's devoured massive amounts of that oil spill.  If that thing started spreading through the air, we'd be looking at an apocalypse scenario.  On the bright side, germs just cleaned up our mess for us.
Thirteen Knives and Cyanide

Mercuriii

my phone is weird
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2011, 08:01:46 PM »

Well that is only if the bacterium consumes JUST oil and if it multiplies quickly.  Scott made it sound like it would take not that much time but it would take actually a year or two. 

KingOfSpades

Re: The Oil Bug Is Real
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2011, 09:41:49 PM »

Scott seems to have a problem of scale in general.  For example:

1) A million people to a city, cities seem to be several hundred miles apart given the distance between Tally's city and Diego, so a maximum of about a hundred cities.  How can a hundred million people with matter reassemblers possibly pose a significant threat to the environment?  Matter reassembly is several times more environmentally friendly than current production methods, and their population is about 5% of ours.

2) According to the map in Bogus to Bubbly, global warming is actually going to be about four times worse than what Al Gore predicted in An Inconvenient Truth, which is itself about eight times worse than the most pessimistic scenario ever endorsed by actual scientists, which is, in turn, about twice as bad as the UN investigation's predicted result if nothing is done (using numbers I researched when I first read Bogus to Bubbly, at least a year ago, data may have changed since).

3) The magnets in hoverboards are apparently strong enough to run off of only the trace metals found in riverbeds.  The amount of energy needed to power magnets that strong is pretty immense, to the point where I'm pretty sure that solar cells with a 100% energy conversion rate (i.e. solar cells capable of violating the Law of Entropy) would still not be able to store more than an hour's worth of power for it.

But none of that really bothered me on the first read through, except perhaps the first one, because it was never integral to the plot.  Hoverboards get a pass because they're cool and spending an extra four chapters explaining how they can work off trace metals or extremely distant metals wouldn't be any fun.  The location of coastlines is never relevant to the plot anyway.  The thing with the environment is most irksome in Extras, when Tally implies she's killed people over it, but it was just one line and not that hard to ignore.

Beth-la

• Laughter Is Eternity
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2011, 10:19:53 PM »

Hurray, oil bug.  Just what we need. :P
I still have some of the oil I picked up from the beach. It's nasty.
"Help! One of the geeks has escaped! GEEK ON THE LOOSE! GET A NET!"

*~* WESTERFORUM'S RESIDENT SPAZ & BEAST-LA*~*

JimmyLost

• Beware what may enter there.
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2011, 10:29:35 PM »

1) A million people to a city, cities seem to be several hundred miles apart given the distance between Tally's city and Diego, so a maximum of about a hundred cities.  How can a hundred million people with matter reassemblers possibly pose a significant threat to the environment?  Matter reassembly is several times more environmentally friendly than current production methods, and their population is about 5% of ours.
Yes but I think you have to consider environmental problems left over from the rusties like the white weed... there might not be that much accutal environment left to work with.

Bea-la

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2011, 01:22:09 AM »

Yeah the white weed is an example of an invasive species.

KingOfSpades

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2011, 10:32:01 AM »

Yes but I think you have to consider environmental problems left over from the rusties like the white weed... there might not be that much accutal environment left to work with.

There's still plenty of forests around.  The world would look radically different if the environment was weak enough that just a hundred million people (or less) with matter reassemblers could significantly threaten it.  More like a wasteland than the forests that Tally and Shay spend most of their time riding through in Uglies.

Sprocket

• They are void, we are NULL.
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2011, 11:21:39 AM »

Scott seems to have a problem of scale in general.  For example:

2) According to the map in Bogus to Bubbly, global warming is actually going to be about four times worse than what Al Gore predicted in An Inconvenient Truth, which is itself about eight times worse than the most pessimistic scenario ever endorsed by actual scientists, which is, in turn, about twice as bad as the UN investigation's predicted result if nothing is done (using numbers I researched when I first read Bogus to Bubbly, at least a year ago, data may have changed since).

3) The magnets in hoverboards are apparently strong enough to run off of only the trace metals found in riverbeds.  The amount of energy needed to power magnets that strong is pretty immense, to the point where I'm pretty sure that solar cells with a 100% energy conversion rate (i.e. solar cells capable of violating the Law of Entropy) would still not be able to store more than an hour's worth of power for it.

YOU ARE THE ME OF THE FUTURE!
When war is declared, Truth is the first casualty. -Arthur Ponsonby

Reenie-La

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2011, 01:05:47 AM »

Honestly, I hope what happened in Uglies happens to us--with only a hundred million people in the world and someone like Dr. Cable making sure people didn't try to mess with the environment like people of today do--I think the world who be in much better shape. With or without the betterment of humanity. The Earth was here first and we as humans are destroying at a scarily fast rate.

"Live long and die out." ~VHEMT

http://www.vhemt.org/

KingOfSpades

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2011, 03:32:53 PM »

The concept that the person who came first deserves it more is a purely human one.  As far as nature is concerned, if it helps you survive, it's fair.  There is no such thing as a sin against nature.

Sadie-la

• they/them
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2011, 06:05:55 AM »

I know. I saw that. I freaked. scary stuff man.

hoverboarder

• Not all that glitters is hovery.
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2011, 07:17:47 AM »

Plus....wasn't there something about combustion?.....like the oil exploded cuz there were signs of burining?

KingOfSpades

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2011, 06:45:51 PM »

So it's not good enough that Scott can predict the future, he also has to get every single detail right?  Aren't you picky.

Bea-la

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2011, 08:10:47 AM »

:>

tridecagirl

• It's never too late.
    • Pencil to Paper: The Daily Life of a Compulsive Writer
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2011, 10:02:11 AM »

As for us destroying the planet, wasn't it Malcolm in Jurassic Park (the book) that said:
'The planet is not in danger. We are in danger. We do not have the power to save the earth - or to destroy it. But we may have the power to save ourselves.'
The earth is a heck of a lot bigger than us. We aren't capable of destroying it. But wiping ourselves out? Yeah, that oculd happen.
Just close your eyes/ The sun is going down/ You'll be all right/ No one can hurt you now/ Come morning light/ You and I'll be safe... and... sound
***WESTERFORUM RESIDENT MOM/TREEHUGGER***
Pages: [1] 2