Scott Westerfeld Forum

Author Topic: PRETTIES: Part III - the little dolls in trees?!?  (Read 1486 times)

Jewel-Wa

PRETTIES: Part III - the little dolls in trees?!?
« on: May 12, 2011, 06:06:32 PM »

Can someone explain the dolls hanging in the trees in part III after Tally runs into the "Pre-Rusty" people and treks with Andrew to the edge of the reservation?

I have been dying to understand WHAT the heck they are and how they perpetually damage nerves and keep Tally from crossing them.

Thank you so much.

hoverponies forever

• THEY ARE SO CUTE!!!
Re: PRETTIES: Part III - the little dolls in trees?!?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 09:10:23 PM »

Andrew's "Little Men" shoot lasers or something that attack your nervous system, and they're just dressed like dolls to creep people out, I think 
Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what I've tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice.

Attitudes are contagious. Mine can kill you

kay-wathesmokelives

• Sweet nightingale....
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 06:38:34 AM »

They are the protection, and guards. They are there to keep everyone in. They don't want the people on the reservation escaping.
Anatidaephobia is the fear that somewhere in the world, there is a duck watching you.

"Have you not met Will Turner? He's noble, heroic- terrific soprano." Captain Jack Sparrow

Vadmaus

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011, 08:34:06 AM »

Can someone explain the dolls hanging in the trees in part III after Tally runs into the "Pre-Rusty" people and treks with Andrew to the edge of the reservation?

I have been dying to understand WHAT the heck they are and how they perpetually damage nerves and keep Tally from crossing them.

Thank you so much.
ther are actual things like this in real life.
The 'dolls' are full of technology and equipment that sync with the human mind's own electromagnetic wavelength, thus countering the signal the brain sends to the nerves, rendering the nerves useless. The doll appearence, gives the human mind the idea of fear, and power

haley-wa

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 05:10:58 AM »

so what u think andrew is like a native american? that is what i picture him as
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

Jewel-Wa

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 02:20:19 PM »

They are the protection, and guards. They are there to keep everyone in. They don't want the people on the reservation escaping.

I understand that much, I was super curious as to HOW and what they were made of. But thanks!!

Jewel-Wa

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2011, 02:22:16 PM »

Thank you so much.
ther are actual things like this in real life.
The 'dolls' are full of technology and equipment that sync with the human mind's own electromagnetic wavelength, thus countering the signal the brain sends to the nerves, rendering the nerves useless. The doll appearence, gives the human mind the idea of fear, and power

AWESOME answer, now I am not confused anymore. I've read the book about three times, and I am so stumped on that part like crazy. Thanks :))

Shax

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2011, 10:36:52 AM »

i think so

Alicia-wa

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2011, 12:41:53 PM »

l picture him and his people that way too; just the way they're described in the book (their clothes, their houses, etc... ), now they talk, their beliefs, and the fact that the book said they were around before the rusties.
Trust your heart if the seas catch fire, and live by love though the stars walk backward.

hoverponies forever

• THEY ARE SO CUTE!!!
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2011, 11:52:47 PM »

Yeah, probably. I mean, there's probably a bunch of differences, but the fundamental idea is probably approximately the same.
Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what I've tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice.

Attitudes are contagious. Mine can kill you