Scott Westerfeld Forum

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Uglies on Religion  (Read 4244 times)

Hannah81239

Re: Uglies on Religion
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2011, 07:22:37 PM »

As far as I can tell, religion serves three main purposes in society:
answers: People don't like uncertainty. And there's a lot of questions without answers in the world. Why are we here? Where do we go when we die? Where does lightning come from? (That one's been answered now). Religion answers (or tries to answer) these questions.

purpose: We want there to be a greater purpose in this world and the life. WE don't like thinking that we have no meaning. Therefore, religion provides one.

Power: In many societies, religion allowed authorities to control the thoughts and actions of the populace.

However, the Uglies society does not need religion because these three objectives have been met. Advanced science has provided most (not all) of the answers. Society plans out the extent of a person's life - their purpose is determined. Also, after 16 they're too busy partying to worry about philosophical matters. Finally, the city has perfect control over their people without bringing religion into it. THerefore, they don't find it necessary.
As there are some aspects of communism is the Uglies society, yes, religion is not needed. They have complete control of their populations with the pretty operation and general equality. With purpose, I think that the people are too selfish and bubbleheaded to care about a purpose of their life that isn't enjoyment. The specials know that their purpose is to control the population and to protect the world. Therefore, Deca, I agree with you.

hoverponies forever

• THEY ARE SO CUTE!!!
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2011, 09:52:05 PM »

ALSO: If the tribal people can be considered religious, even if the hey thought of calling the Specials gods themselves, the seed of religious-ness was definitely planted in them on purpose. It's like Bokonism.
Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what I've tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice.

Attitudes are contagious. Mine can kill you

Bea-la

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2011, 09:55:43 PM »

ALSO: If the tribal people can be considered religious, even if the hey thought of calling the Specials gods themselves, the seed of religious-ness was definitely planted in them on purpose. It's like Bokonism.
Yeah that makes sense....It could be that way for us too, someone could be telling us what to do with our religions... but even if they are it won't really last long. I mean the main populace right now practices Buddhism, Hinduism, Christianity and other smaller religions, none of these (I don't think) are stable enough to make the "transition" into the future.

hoverponies forever

• THEY ARE SO CUTE!!!
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2011, 09:57:14 PM »

If religion doesn't completely disappear, it will probably morph into some mass communal religion.
Some say in ice.
Is also great
And would suffice.

Bea-la

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2011, 10:01:29 PM »

That would be weird, it would be called HindBudianity. :P

Random:  I just saw a guy at the store wearing a Wiccan shirt that said "Respect the Craft, Respect Nature".  Do you think a religion like that could survive.... even into the future and through the Rusty crash?

Hannah81239

« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2011, 10:04:17 PM »

If religion doesn't completely disappear, it will probably morph into some mass communal religion.
Yes, Universalism seems to be on the rise.

Bea-la

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2011, 10:05:30 PM »

Yes, Universalism seems to be on the rise.
Yeah, I heard somebody on the news talking about making a universal language and currency.

hoverponies forever

• THEY ARE SO CUTE!!!
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2011, 10:12:32 PM »

I think some guy tried that. Made up a whole language, with tenses and declensions and everything, but it never took off. Also, do you mean Universalism like UUs, or some other kind of universalism I don't know about?
Some say in ice.
Is also great
And would suffice.

Bea-la

« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2011, 10:13:26 PM »

What do you mean?

hoverponies forever

• THEY ARE SO CUTE!!!
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2011, 10:22:16 PM »

A. At one point, a guy tried to create a global language, but it didn't work.
B. Do you mean Universalism like Unitarian Universalism (which would be strange, because there's not that many of us) or some other religion?
Some say in ice.
Is also great
And would suffice.

Hannah81239

« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2011, 10:55:07 PM »

I think UU. Like, the belief that all religious paths lead to the same God. In Universalist places of worship, all religions worship together.

hoverponies forever

• THEY ARE SO CUTE!!!
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2011, 11:35:53 PM »

Yep, that's the UUs. We basically believe that everyone can believe whatever the heck they want.
Some say in ice.
Is also great
And would suffice.

Hannah81239

« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2011, 11:37:38 PM »

WE? You're a Universalist?

tridecagirl

• It's never too late.
    • Pencil to Paper: The Daily Life of a Compulsive Writer
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2011, 11:40:34 PM »

Random:  I just saw a guy at the store wearing a Wiccan shirt that said "Respect the Craft, Respect Nature".  Do you think a religion like that could survive.... even into the future and through the Rusty crash?
It has a good chance. Wicca is descended from the earliest religions, a basic reverence for nature. THe earliest people, before they developed gods in the sky, had  a respect for the world around them. It's like the default religion. So there's a pretty good likelihood it'll stick around in some form.
Just close your eyes/ The sun is going down/ You'll be all right/ No one can hurt you now/ Come morning light/ You and I'll be safe... and... sound
***WESTERFORUM RESIDENT MOM/TREEHUGGER***

Bea-la

« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2011, 11:42:25 PM »

It has a good chance. Wicca is descended from the earliest religions, a basic reverence for nature. THe earliest people, before they developed gods in the sky, had  a respect for the world around them. It's like the default religion. So there's a pretty good likelihood it'll stick around in some form.
That's what I thought too.  Out of all the religions that would be the one I think would survive even with advances in tech.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4