Scott Westerfeld Forum

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Uglies on Religion  (Read 6172 times)

tridecagirl

• It's never too late.
    • Pencil to Paper: The Daily Life of a Compulsive Writer
Re: Uglies on Religion
« Reply #45 on: November 06, 2011, 08:32:11 AM »

*shrugs* I guess it's up to you on how you think it was made.

But I know for a fact that the Nicene Councils voted on stuff - like whether Jesus was human or not. There's also other gospels that didn't get added.
Just close your eyes/ The sun is going down/ You'll be all right/ No one can hurt you now/ Come morning light/ You and I'll be safe... and... sound
***WESTERFORUM RESIDENT MOM/TREEHUGGER***

Lorelai-wa

• Formerly known as Tyler-wa
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #46 on: November 06, 2011, 10:24:46 AM »

*shrugs* I guess it's up to you on how you think it was made.

But I know for a fact that the Nicene Councils voted on stuff - like whether Jesus was human or not. There's also other gospels that didn't get added.
Ok sorry but I a very literal person, but the only way you could know for a fact that they did those things is by having been there yourself which I know you have not.

Miss Lucy

« Reply #47 on: November 06, 2011, 07:38:19 PM »

@Tyler-wa, There's also another way. You can read more than one publication of the Bible. Some have different translations, like when I was younger, Sunday school had us study the chapter of the Bible where Jesus comes back from the dead. Mary Magdelene recognized him and called him, "Rabboni". Our own teacher said that it mattered how she didn't call him "Master" but "Teacher" -- except that some of our copies translated it as "Master" so whoooops.

There are also the canon names of the angels. Some Bibles only name Michael and Gabriel, because they do not include the book of Tobit, where the angel Raphael is mentioned. So, some books simply aren't included in certain versions of the Bible that are included in other versions. Can you confidently declare either: Catholics, who accept the book of Tobit, as accepting some devilish modification? Or that Protestants, who reject the book of Tobit, are editing and rejecting parts of holy scripture to suit them?

Then there's Ecclesiastes. We do still have copies of the original Hebrew, but the vocabulary in that book comes from many different points in the language's history, as we can compare with more mundane texts in Hebrew that aren't the Bible. In general, the older passages are extraordinarily pessimistic. It appears that newer authors fiddled with the text to soften those gloomy paragraphs. That those newer authors managed to do so before Emperor Constantine banged his gavel down and said, "This is the version that will be published!"* does not really draw a solid line between what is God's word and what of that very text is-- to be harsh, corrupted-- by translators, editors, and publishers.

* This is, according to sources outside the bible that are given historical value, which, if you don't buy into, then replace whatever event you believe marked the end of the Bible's draft version and the beginning of its canon publication. But keep in mind, the Jewish tradition puts that event at much, much sooner than yours-- at the end of what we call the Old Testament. I would expect a less circular argument against them than, "They're wrong about the New Testament because it says in the New Testament that they're wrong." Muslim tradition puts that same event at much, much later than yours-- in their canon, Jesus is recognized as an honored prophet, but the holy book wasn't "done" until Mohammad got a word in. Why aren't they allowed to add-on if, from the point of view of Jewish tradition, that's exactly what Christian tradition has done?
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 11:51:20 AM by Miss Lucy »

Lorelai-wa

• Formerly known as Tyler-wa
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #48 on: November 07, 2011, 04:16:13 AM »

Ok.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]