Scott Westerfeld Forum

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Uglies on Religion  (Read 5201 times)

Bea-la

Uglies on Religion
« on: May 18, 2011, 09:23:57 AM »

It seems as though Uglies implies that religion is going to die out, that there is no such thing as gods and stuff like that..... What are your opinions?  I mean as a Christian I wasn't offended by it, because I can kind of see religion "dying off" in the future.  (WHICH WILL BE A HORRIBLE THING!!) But, it was kind of interesting.  It kind of makes sense that in Uglies they wouldn't believe in gods because they are so advanced that they would see religion as "Rustie".  Maybe it was people arguing about religion that caused fighting and ultimately led to the Rusty Crash. 

This may be a controversial topic for some people.  Still, let's just keep this as a laid back discussion  :)

tridecagirl

• It's never too late.
    • Pencil to Paper: The Daily Life of a Compulsive Writer
Re: Uglies on Religion
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 10:06:55 AM »

It makes sense. If you look at trends even today, organized religion is in a slow but steady decline. Likewise, as the world gets more technological, the existence of the supernatural (without proof) gets seen as more and more unlikely.
Just close your eyes/ The sun is going down/ You'll be all right/ No one can hurt you now/ Come morning light/ You and I'll be safe... and... sound
***WESTERFORUM RESIDENT MOM/TREEHUGGER***

haley-wa

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 08:54:44 AM »

i really hope religion doesnt die off
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

Mara-la

• strange fruit
    • Instagram
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 08:59:45 AM »

It makes sense. If you look at trends even today, organized religion is in a slow but steady decline. Likewise, as the world gets more technological, the existence of the supernatural (without proof) gets seen as more and more unlikely.

Yeah... like, a few of my friends (and some family) go to church on holidays like Easter or Christmas, but that's it. As for me, I'll respect religion, I can understand people want someone to believe it, but I am not into it. I don't mean to start an argument by this, but the majority of people I know aren't religious and judging OFF THAT PERALISIS religion may die out.
Member since April 24th 2010.
----------------------------------
Author of "We All Come Home"
Short story; pub. March 2018
in Scarborough Fair Magazine
----------------------------------
www.youtube.com/maragrace

Bea-la

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 10:12:09 AM »

Yeah I mean most of the people at my church our elderly... there's barely any young kids or new members...

tridecagirl

• It's never too late.
    • Pencil to Paper: The Daily Life of a Compulsive Writer
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2011, 10:33:32 PM »

As far as I can tell, religion serves three main purposes in society:
answers: People don't like uncertainty. And there's a lot of questions without answers in the world. Why are we here? Where do we go when we die? Where does lightning come from? (That one's been answered now). Religion answers (or tries to answer) these questions.

purpose: We want there to be a greater purpose in this world and the life. WE don't like thinking that we have no meaning. Therefore, religion provides one.

Power: In many societies, religion allowed authorities to control the thoughts and actions of the populace.

However, the Uglies society does not need religion because these three objectives have been met. Advanced science has provided most (not all) of the answers. Society plans out the extent of a person's life - their purpose is determined. Also, after 16 they're too busy partying to worry about philosophical matters. Finally, the city has perfect control over their people without bringing religion into it. THerefore, they don't find it necessary.
Just close your eyes/ The sun is going down/ You'll be all right/ No one can hurt you now/ Come morning light/ You and I'll be safe... and... sound
***WESTERFORUM RESIDENT MOM/TREEHUGGER***

haley-wa

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2011, 12:28:34 AM »

i just think that they all have one big religion theyve all come to agreement on so they dont think it matters if they talk about it or not.
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

Shax

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2011, 07:50:08 AM »

It seems as though Uglies implies that religion is going to die out, that there is no such thing as gods and stuff like that..... What are your opinions?  I mean as a Christian I wasn't offended by it, because I can kind of see religion "dying off" in the future.  (WHICH WILL BE A HORRIBLE THING!!) But, it was kind of interesting.  It kind of makes sense that in Uglies they wouldn't believe in gods because they are so advanced that they would see religion as "Rustie".  Maybe it was people arguing about religion that caused fighting and ultimately led to the Rusty Crash. 

This may be a controversial topic for some people.  Still, let's just keep this as a laid back discussion  :)
your theory is interesting   :)

hoverponies forever

• THEY ARE SO CUTE!!!
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2011, 07:59:06 AM »

Also, as Andrew Simpson Smith says, the Specials are "gods" implying that, at least among his people, that is at least a primitive sense of religion.
Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what I've tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice.

Attitudes are contagious. Mine can kill you

Bea-la

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2011, 08:00:36 AM »

Yeah I remembered that too. But, they were kind of forced into believing that.

hoverponies forever

• THEY ARE SO CUTE!!!
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2011, 08:02:18 AM »

But they specifically chose the word "gods" to descibe them. They could have chosen "rulers" or "kings", but they chose gods, implying religion.
Some say in ice.
Is also great
And would suffice.

Bea-la

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2011, 08:05:20 AM »

Yes, but they kind of had "proof", if you know what I mean.  They saw the super natural abilities of someone above them and they were told by them that they were gods probably..... but, after that they followed through on it and let the religion cycle through their community without having to be consistently told "we are gods" by the Specials.

hoverponies forever

• THEY ARE SO CUTE!!!
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2011, 08:06:40 AM »

I don't think that the Specials told them that they were gods, though. Also, wasn't Andrew Simpson Smith the Holy Man of the tribe? That definitely implies religion.
Some say in ice.
Is also great
And would suffice.

Bea-la

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2011, 08:08:20 AM »

Yeah.... maybe part of the research was to actually study religion.  That would be really interesting!

hoverponies forever

• THEY ARE SO CUTE!!!
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2011, 08:11:31 AM »

Maybe... I dunno
Some say in ice.