Scott Westerfeld Forum

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Uglies on Religion  (Read 5554 times)

tridecagirl

• It's never too late.
    • Pencil to Paper: The Daily Life of a Compulsive Writer
Re: Uglies on Religion
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2011, 11:44:22 PM »

Yes - that and Buddhism are more likely because some branches of both have no gods and therefore could resist technology increases making gods less likely. Buddhism is my bet to last the longest.
Just close your eyes/ The sun is going down/ You'll be all right/ No one can hurt you now/ Come morning light/ You and I'll be safe... and... sound
***WESTERFORUM RESIDENT MOM/TREEHUGGER***

hoverponies forever

• THEY ARE SO CUTE!!!
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2011, 11:45:57 PM »

WE? You're a Universalist?
Unitarian Universalist, yeah. Why?
Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what I've tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice.

Attitudes are contagious. Mine can kill you

Hannah81239

« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2011, 11:46:14 PM »

That's pretty cool.

hoverponies forever

• THEY ARE SO CUTE!!!
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2011, 11:48:48 PM »

It's boring. I avoid church as much as possible.
Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what I've tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice.

Attitudes are contagious. Mine can kill you

Bea-la

« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2011, 12:30:42 AM »

It's boring. I avoid church as much as possible.
What are your beliefs (religiously)?  If you're okay with me asking that question ....

Abby-la

« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2011, 08:00:02 AM »

ME TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Chloe-wa the Cutter

• Beware the Nargles! O.O
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2011, 08:15:12 AM »

I think the bubbleheads just thought that religion was too hard of a subject,so they threw it out the window. I believe in God most of the time, but people are trying to change the bible even now, saying you have to do stuff to get into Heaven when Jesus did it for you already. I really don't know what to believe anymore.
There are no raindrops on roses and girls in white dresses it's sleeping with roaches and taking best guesses at the shade of the sheets and before all the stains and a few more of your least favorite things.

Miss Lucy

« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2011, 12:25:06 PM »

If I remember it correctly, the way that they implied religion "going out" was... it coming back.  :o Paradox...

Or that it had already come back for a season, like backward caps or some other fashion statement. Religions do die off with some regularity. Think of pharaoh Akhenaten abolishing Egyptian polytheism, and being abolished in turn-- I think the priests even had his hieroglyphs rubbed out, they were that embarrassed by him. Or Goddess-worship, which Wiccans might call back to, but even dedicated historians don't know how it was originally done and some are even doubtful that it was ever there. Or how shocked historians were, when they unearthed ancient evidence of a Mayan organized religion that involved ritual torture and human sacrifice, because by all accounts the descendants who no longer practiced it were such an extraordinarily peaceful people-- not a single cultural clue that their ancestors had ever practiced it (I saw that in a BBC documentary, How Art Made The World, episode 5 "To Death And Back".)

So, perhaps with the Mind-rain, that process just went much much faster. Science fiction author Arthur C. Clark once wrote, "Politics and religion are obsolete. The time has come for science and spirituality." I don't think that's true for Prettytown. There are some really intense clandestine politics. And even though they don't call this a religion, I do see a kind of Cult Of Pretty And Bubbly-- the idea that becoming beautiful is the morally right thing to do for the sake of nature, there's a coming of age or confirmation ritual at 16, the Rusty Crash has become as much a creation myth as it is history... the religions that we know and love may not be in practice, but something fills the gap, and it does so in either a religious or spiritual manner. I think I'm basically saying the same thing as Tridecagirl, but with the opposite conclusion.

I think the bubbleheads just thought that religion was too hard of a subject,so they threw it out the window. I believe in God most of the time, but people are trying to change the bible even now, saying you have to do stuff to get into Heaven when Jesus did it for you already. I really don't know what to believe anymore.
Have you read Blankets, by Craig Thompson? It's a comic book, but a really artistic one that's about 600 pages and it's his autobiography about studying to enter the ministry, and struggling to bridge the gap between faith and practice.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 12:29:26 PM by Miss Lucy »

Isabelle-wa

• AW SNAP!
« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2011, 10:50:33 PM »

Yeah I remembered that too. But, they were kind of forced into believing that.
i dont think that they forced into beliving it they just kind did
"OH, you just you're all that and a bag of chips don't you, cause you're not, I am"

OH, WHAT NOW?!

Lorelai-wa

• Formerly known as Tyler-wa
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2011, 04:37:55 AM »

It seems as though Uglies implies that religion is going to die out, that there is no such thing as gods and stuff like that..... What are your opinions?  I mean as a Christian I wasn't offended by it, because I can kind of see religion "dying off" in the future.  (WHICH WILL BE A HORRIBLE THING!!) But, it was kind of interesting.  It kind of makes sense that in Uglies they wouldn't believe in gods because they are so advanced that they would see religion as "Rustie".  Maybe it was people arguing about religion that caused fighting and ultimately led to the Rusty Crash. 

This may be a controversial topic for some people.  Still, let's just keep this as a laid back discussion  :)

it's possible , but if religion was true that would never happen unless the god was planning on opening there eyes to their ignorance for denying religion.

If religion doesn't completely disappear, it will probably morph into some mass communal religion.
Yes, Universalism seems to be on the rise.
Yeah, I heard somebody on the news talking about making a universal language and currency.
DUDE! That's in the Bible the part about a one nation earth (One giant country) That's sign's of the end time.

tridecagirl

• It's never too late.
« Reply #40 on: November 06, 2011, 05:04:45 AM »

@ Lucy - So you're saying the operation itself would become a sort of cult religion? Interesting idea... although I think it'd be closer if they like, worshipped the doctors or something. Although Andrew Simpson Smith thinks they're gods.

@ Ty - don't hold your breath. I've lived through five End of Days, and that's only the ones I heard about.
Just close your eyes/ The sun is going down/ You'll be all right/ No one can hurt you now/ Come morning light/ You and I'll be safe... and... sound

Lorelai-wa

• My Youtube Channel
« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2011, 05:39:01 AM »

I know so have I. The world was suppose to end the day before our graduation.
But it is in the Bible.

tridecagirl

• It's never too late.
« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2011, 06:34:19 AM »

According to my mythology teacher, the writers of the Bible didn't want to put an apocalypse chapter in at all. After all there's the whole 'no man shall know' thingy. However, they were putting the Bible together during a time of a lot of apocalypse-mania, so they felt pressured to include a theory... AKA Revelation.

Reenie-La

« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2011, 08:06:44 AM »

Lorelai-wa

• My Youtube Channel
« Reply #44 on: November 06, 2011, 08:18:46 AM »

According to my mythology teacher, the writers of the Bible didn't want to put an apocalypse chapter in at all. After all there's the whole 'no man shall know' thingy. However, they were putting the Bible together during a time of a lot of apocalypse-mania, so they felt pressured to include a theory... AKA Revelation.
Wow. But I don't thing they would put something in the Bible that God didn't tell them too.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4