Scott Westerfeld Forum

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12

Author Topic: Goliath Fanfic: Play With Fire  (Read 12844 times)

Falconsong

• Don't like me? All you still get is who I am~
Re: Goliath Fanfic: Play With Fire
« Reply #135 on: June 08, 2011, 11:32:26 AM »

New chapter! Please note that I will now not post anything in the front! Thank you!
TOKIO HOTEL LOVER! ALIEN FUR IMMER!
BILL KAULITZ IS MINE! :D
Ich liebe dich, Bill. Du bist mein Engel <3

Seven

• Mad as a hatter!
« Reply #136 on: June 08, 2011, 03:19:02 PM »

Wow, that was fast! This is really interesting.

Heh, what CAN'T Fei do?

Are you still planning on killing someone off?

"Have you never thought of walking Tazza yourself?"

Dr. Barlow's eyes widened a bit. "What an odd suggestion."

"Mighty unsavory," her loris said.

Falconsong

« Reply #137 on: June 09, 2011, 12:05:57 PM »

Deryn could hear a sad, mourful, violin in Fei's room. But then, the melody changed over to a more cheerful sound, like the sun coming out through rainy clouds. The two moods conflicted for a while, and in the end, Deryn felt a bittersweet feeling. Fei's violin always told everyone her mood, and Deryn knew right now she felt bittersweet.

A week had passed. It was the middle of April. They were on patrol duty on the Canadian border, as Germans and Austrians may be targeting Halifax, a main point of moving Canadian soldiers and crops to Europe to help with the Great War. Deryn didn't really care about Canada before, but Canada did seem important now, with their troops and all. Deryn was currently trying to read Hamlet that Fei had borrowed to Deryn. Deryn did not understand a barking thing.

Deryn knew Fei recovered well, and was trying to teach her navigation yesterday. As smart as the girl was, she couldn't tell North from South, or East from West, and was hopeless at reading maps. She thought port was starboard, starboard was port. Longitude she confused with latitude, and she thought the sun set in the East. She didn't know why Fei was so bad at navigation, but the poor girl was always getting lost, all the time when she first arrived on the Leviathan. When Deryn told Fei to write it down for her, there were seven spelling mistakes out of twenty words. Deryn knew Fei was a quick reader, but sometimes she confused the wording or meaning of sentences.

"Miss Sharp and Miss Yang, please report to the Captain's headquarters." A messenger lizard chirped out. What had they done this time?

"I'll be right there, Captain. End message." She told the lizard, and it scrambled away.

Deryn walked down the hall, blessedly in pants. Her dress was ruined, and there wasn't another one Dr. Barlow could spare. She wasn't wearing her uniform, but an extra shirt and pants Fei had with her. Although Fei was short, she grew already three inches in the months on the Leviathan. She was prepared, and had some clothes too big. She lent some to Deryn. Now Fei was nearly five foot four, not scraping by five feet. Deryn waved to her as she spotted the energetic young rider in the hall.

"Why d'you suppose we were called?" Deryn asked.

"Who knows." Fei shrugged. "Maybe finally letting you stay?"

"I don't have that much hope." Deryn sighed.

"But I do." Fei looked at her steadily from black eyes. Fei didn't have to tilt her head up as much as before.

"Thanks Fei." Deryn wished she could have Fei's confidence.

They both walked into the Captain's headquarters, and his entourage of officers, Dr. Yang and Dr. Barlow were there with him. They were all smiling.s

"Good morning." The captain greeted.

"Good morning, Captain." Deryn and Fei said at the same time.

"I have consulted the Admiralty about two things...but first things first." Captain Hobbes announced. "Diana, we realized it was you who broke the German's machines and rendered their weapons useless, and you've healed many soldiers, and was also helping the soldiers get over their griefs." Fei shrugged.

"So I will proudly present you this." Captain Hobbes took out a sky blue ribbon, and a medal with the familiar face of Chares Darwin. Fei looked confused, but Deryn felt pride flare in her chest. "Miss Diana Fei Lin Yang, I present to you the Air Gallantry medal, for your courageous and noble acts when you helped our ship win the battle with the Germans, and helping our soldiers, at the great cost of your own life. Congragulations, miss." The Captain pinned it onto Fei's shoulder.

Fei's jaw dropped. "Uh...thanks!" Everyone clapped, and Deryn did the loudest.

"You deserve it." Deryn murmured in her ear.

Fei's eyes glinted in the thank you she couldn't word. The officers and Dr. Barlow all shook her hand, mumuring congrats. When Fei came to her father, he gathered her in a hug. Fei stiffened, but said nothing.

Dr. Yang's face was radiating pride for his daughter. "I'm proud of you, Fei, I don't think I've told you that."

Fei's face broke into a smile. "Thanks father."

"And the second thing..." The Captain cleared his throat. "Is about you, Miss Sharp."

They all fell silent. Fei gave Deryn's back a firm pat. "Don't worry." She mumured.

"I have also consulted the Admiralty about your...being on the ship." The Captain looked a bit awkward. "You have, saved many lives, Midshipman Newkirk's and mine included, you are our best midshipman, and you know the most about the new beasties on our ship other than Dr. Yang and Miss. Yang. I thought it was a waste to let you go, and the Admiralty was also convinced of this, with the word of Dr. Barlow and I. You're allowed to stay."

Deryn's jaw hit the floor. Fei give a squeal of happiness, and wrapped her arms around Deryn in a bone-shattering hug. Deryn was surprised the stoic, indifferent girl would do that.

"But with conditions." The Captain interrupted. And Deryn and Fei sobered. "First, no one else but the people on this ship should know of this." Deryn nodded, easy. "Second, limit your...interactions with the crew, for your health and theirs." Deryn knew the ...hidden meaning behind the captain's words, but easy enough to keep. "Third, you may leave the Service whenever you wish." Deryn nodded again. "Fourth, you will not be allowed back in when you are married." Deryn's mouth puckered, but she nodded. "Fifth, you will dress appropriately, like a lady, whenever there is some occasion or important meeting." Deryn nodded.

"Are those it?" Fei asked, a bit suspiciously.

"Mainly, but it's all she needs to know for now." The Captain waved his hand dismissively. "You are all dismissed."

"Let's go find Alek." Fei said excitedly as they exited. "And tell him. This is amazing! A miracle! You're staying."

"Come on Fei, you just got the Air Gallantry medal and you're not squealing over that but me?" Deryn laughed.

"Um...I don't actually know what it is." Fei said, embarrased.

"What? You don't? It's the highest honour a civillian could achieve!" Deryn gaped at her.

"Oh...well." Fei blinked.

"Yeah..." Deryn glanced sideways at her. She beamed back.

"Alek! Alek! Open up!" Fei knocked and yowled both earsplittingly.

"What?" Alek looked annoyed, looking down on the shorter girl.

"Let us inside and we'll tell!" Fei said more cheerfully than usual. Alek was a bit more curious now.

"Come in. What's the big deal?" Alek said.

"DERYN'SSTAYINGONTHELEVIATHAN! SHE'SSTAYINGBECAUSETHECAPTAINANDEVENTHEADMIRALTYISLETTINGHERBECAUSESHE'SSUCHAVALUABLEPERSON!" Fei yowled, so quickly that her voice blurred together.

"Um...what?" Alek tipped his head.

"Deryn's staying on the Leviathan!" Fei sang

"Oh, my God! Good job Deryn!" Alek gathered her in his arms, and gave her a peck on the cheek. Deryn felt that Alek was always very nice to hug, and was always pleasant and warm-smelling.

"And...Fei forgot to mention she got the Air Gallantry Cross!" Deryn announced. Fei ducked down a bit. Fei wasn't exactly the meaning of modest, but she didn't make something a big deal when she didn't think it was worth it.

"Really?" Alek turned away from Deryn to gape at Fei.

"It slipped my mind." Fei did one of her slanted half-smiles.

"Where are we now?" Fei asked.

"I think in the Atlantic Ocean?"  Deryn mused.

"O-O-ocean?" Fei looked frightened.

"Yes...but we were over the ocean when we came here, remember?" Deryn chided.

"Yes...but the ship was in a better conditon." Fei fretted, and started wringing her hands.

"Fei, what's wrong?" Alek asked.

"I'm scared of water. Terribly. And I can't swim. At all." Fei breathed. "I'm terrified."

"Ironic, the girl who loves fire hates water." Deryn joked, but Fei looked so nervous still, and Deryn stopped.

"Fei, we won't plummet down right now." Alek soothed. "And besides, you were willing to die several times, are you just scared of that?"

"No...it's just that my fear for wather...it's more pathological." Fei explained. "I just have a...natural, almost, fear of it."

"It's alright, we won't fall out. Well, not likely." Deryn said. Great, you probably managed to scare her more! Deryn thought, but Fei looked more reassured.

"You should probably stay in your cabin then." Alek suggested.

"No, fresh air is better for me. And I'm far away from water." Fei shook her head. "I'm going back to my bunk, there something I still need to do." She walked out.

"I just realized...we don't know so much about Fei, do we?" Alek frowned.

"Now that you mentioned it...we don't." Deryn agreed. Then quickly added. "Well, at least not her past, more about her habits, attitude, and stuff like that."

"I think we should know her better." Alek said.

"She won't tell us anything unless she wants to, you know that." Deryn held Alek's hand.

"I know, I just wish she was more open." Alek sighed.

"I do too, but with her, some things are impossible." Deryn said.

"You know how happy I am, right?" Alek changed the subject abruptly.

"No, but you can show me." Deryn teased.

"Alright." Alek grinned, and pressed his mouth against hers.

Then bliss.

booklover

« Reply #138 on: June 09, 2011, 12:30:05 PM »

love it!!!!!
plez continue
People ask me how I keep up with life, color guard, and school.  I always laugh and tell them I don't.

booklover

« Reply #139 on: June 09, 2011, 09:55:40 PM »

just out of curitosity r u gonna write a par thats sapossed to be after the storie where alek and deryn get married and have a kid? i love reading touse they r so happy
People ask me how I keep up with life, color guard, and school.  I always laugh and tell them I don't.

Falconsong

« Reply #140 on: June 10, 2011, 05:12:04 AM »

Yup. And a "present day" thing too.

booklover

« Reply #141 on: June 10, 2011, 07:22:11 AM »

the way u worded that made it sound like u ment that deryn was gonna get prgnant with aleks baby while still on the levi. . . .
thats not wat u meant right?

booklover

« Reply #142 on: June 10, 2011, 07:27:58 AM »

plezzz continue

Falconsong

« Reply #143 on: June 10, 2011, 11:03:24 AM »

the way u worded that made it sound like u ment that deryn was gonna get prgnant with aleks baby while still on the levi. . . .
thats not wat u meant right?

NOOO! It wasn't! Alek's gonna escape the Leviathan soon, Fei already has a plan, because she's always two steps ahead in the game. And the story's time skip is occuring soon, Fei's leaving soon as well. (When I mean leave, it means depature, I don't mean death)

Falconsong

« Reply #144 on: June 10, 2011, 11:23:36 AM »

"Strange...why does the griffin seem more nervous than ususal?" Fei muttered to herself.

"Who knows?" Deryn frowned, looking at the wild-eyed griffin that was shuffling around. Deryn took a step closer, and the griffin hissed at her. Fei clamped the griffin's mouth, and whispered calming words to the panicking griffin. It calmed enough, but it was still shuffling around like crazy. Deryn was back to wearing midshipman's uniform, and Fei was so happy about that. That Air Gallantry Cross didn't seem that important to her, somehow.

"It's been like this since the German's raid." Fei sighed, wondering how to help her griffin. Well, not exactly hers, but she did develop the concept of it. She was pretty much the creator of it though. And the drakon and the messenger falcons. Fei researched about the many DNA contributors that would make these beasties possible, and made notes about it, what it should look like, and the pros and cons. But her father and the team of scientist did the actual creating, but she was credited as the inventor. But of course, she would never admit it. She felt it was too much bragging, and Fei was not a modest person, but she did not want to draw herself so much attention. She learned to be invisible, and it was a useful tool. Being unknown was the price of invisibility.

"Well, the barking Germans probably scared it." Deryn said.

"Did any make it to the rookery?" Fei asked.

"No, it was all in the gondolas or mess hall." Deryn replied.

"Ugh. I hate it when I have no explanations!" Fei sighed.

Deryn smiled. "And when you're wrong."

"That too." Fei admitted. "Hey what's that on his back?" It was a little piece of something. She hopped onto the griffin's back, and pulled it out, causing the griffin to yowl. Fei covered her ears. "So that's what's been bothering him! A splinter!"

But something seemed to spook the griffin. The griffins seemed to hate the smell of oil, and right now, a grease-covered engineer walked right past them. The panicking griffin took off, which wouldn't be bad, except Fei was still on it's back.

"AHHHHHH!!!" Fei screamed, which she didn't do often. The griffin wasn't exactly the most stable flier right now, and Fei didn't even harness herself properly on the griffin. Fei struggled to fasten the clasp onto the hooks, and she almost fell of twice in the process. Which would not have been fun, and they were flying over the ocean. Double the trouble.

"FEI! ARE YOU OKAY!" Deryn screamed at her.

"AS OKAY AS POSSIBLE WHEN A MAD GRIFFIN IS TRYING TO SHAKE YOU OFF!" Fei yelled back, as the griffin flew as if something posessed it. "YOU GIANT FLYING CHICKEN! STOP IT!" Fei just yelled at the griffin, something she never did. Strangely, the griffin calmed down significantly. Fei started talking, and the griffin was soaring steadily. Uh-oh, not good. If it calmed at her voice, she was getting too attached. She couldn't afford to get attached to the griffin, no matter how much the griffin wanted  to.

Deryn whooped in happiness as Fei soared the griffin around the Leviathan, calmed down. Fei soared around and around, and even flew by the gondolas and waved at Alek. Alek grinned at her and she rocketed amost straight up. Flying was dangerous, but joyous. And Fei wished she had wings of her own.

Up here, she let the griffin decide how long it wanted to soar. She wanted to think a bit. She honestly didn't think that Alek nor Deryn knew much about her. But with her helping Deryn trying to tell her secret, getting Alek and Deryn over their anger with each other, and plotting revenge and escapades...she just didn't have the time. Nor did she like being the center of attention, or the spotlight. She had a terrible stage fright, and felt like she was going to die everytime someone wanted a speech from her. Not good.

But there was so many things that they didn't know...about her mother, they probably didn't know her older sister existed at all, her participation in creating fabrications, what her hometown was, where she was from...all these things they didn't. They knew she could fight, she had the scary ability to sneak up on people, and was a loyal friend, but they didn't know of her past. Fei sighed in her head. She planned to tell them, but it was always interrupted. Fei was a very organized and realistic person, she was not romantic, but had a vast imagination.

The griffin grunted, wanting to land. Fei sighed. Already?

Falconsong

« Reply #145 on: June 10, 2011, 11:24:08 AM »

Sorry it's so short, I just didn't have time today! But then again, I made giant posts before so it all evens out.

booklover

« Reply #146 on: June 10, 2011, 11:41:21 AM »

love it! u have to update soon

booklover

« Reply #147 on: June 10, 2011, 11:44:30 AM »

love it! u have to update soon

booklover

« Reply #148 on: June 11, 2011, 07:25:33 AM »

u should update soon we would all love u forever

Falconsong

« Reply #149 on: June 11, 2011, 11:03:23 AM »

"You know we're going have to get off the Leviathan sometime soon." Volger sighed to Alek, who was only half listening. Alek knew they had to, but he really didn't want to leave Deryn. Now he understood that love wasn't something to be controlled, and it made you fall for all the wrong people. Romeo and Juliet, Liang Shan Bo and Zhu Yin Tai, Alek's parents, Fei and Julian, and Alek and Deryn. Alek sighed.

"Fei says she has some sort of plan devised, but she's still 'finalizing' the final steps." Alek replied.

Volger nodded. He seemed to have lots of respect for the wily, cunning, and clever girl. "Trust that girl to come up with a rational plan that can rarely go wrong."

"Yes, she's ingenious." Alek admitted.

"Definitely smarter than you." Volger smiled.

"Hey!" Alek mocked angry.

"Well, both of us. Probably everyone." Volger chuckled.

A falcon somehow flew through the message lizard tubes. Alek smiled. Fei. It squawked, and landed on Alek's table, and raised its foot. Alek took the note off it.

The note was written in Fei's scraggly, messy handwriting: "Alek, I need to see you in my room. Now. IMPORTANT! Come now! Fei."

"What is it?" Volger asked.

"Fei wants to see me." Alek replied. "Very urgent apparently."

"Alright." Volger nodded.

Alek went down the hall, and came into Fei's room, which Deryn and Fei were both standing. Alek was surprised that Fei was out of her riding clothes, and was wearing a DRESS. An European one. It was plain, dark blue with little embroderies, nothing fancy just straightforward sleeves and skirt, and was showing too much of her ankles, but it was a bit small on her.

"Stop staring." Fei commanded. "Nearly all of my riding clothes got torn, and I'm still fixing all of them, and this is what I have to wear." Fei grumbled something under her breath.

"So Fei, what was so urgent you needed both of us?" Deryn asked.

"Okay, so we're landing in Halifax, Nova Scotia to get more supplies." Fei started. "There, we land, with no one to watch us, because Canada and Britain are allied in the war. There, most of the guards and the people in charge will be exiting Leviathan to get supplies, and also talk about things with some other people. Perfect place for Alek and his friends to escape. This will happen in one week, but I won't be there, I'm gone in three days, I have to go on another airship." Fei dug out a bunch of money from a bag. "Here's five hundred pounds. Canada will accept British money, I think. It's enough for you to settle, try to blend in. No one will blink an eye if there are Austrians or Germans there, Canada's a mishmash of countries. Use it wisely." She handed it to Alek.

"Fei..." Alek made no move to get the money. "This is so sudden, and i can't take that much money!"

"You have to!" Fei persisted. "And I'm sorry, but I wasn't planning for this either, it just sorta popped up a day ago, I couldn't help it either. But it's a perfect timing."

A week...only a week with Deryn, even less with Fei.

"Then Alek..." Deryn glanced at him with calm, but sad eyes. "I guess we're not going to see each other soon."

"No, Deryn..." Alek said painfully.

"I'm sorry." Fei spoke softly. The girl seemed younger and smaller than usual. Her eyes were stretched wide, and she looked unwell.

"No...It's not your fault Fei." Deryn shook her head. "If only we knew...and you're going in three days?"

"Yeah..." Fei grumbled. "I wanted to be there for Alek when he escapes, but I'm being sent on another airship."

"Which?" Alek said.

"I'm not sure, actually, but I'm taking the beasties with me, and the other ship's trainer is coming on here with new beasties." Fei said. "Something about 'getting the fabrications used to new environments'."

"I can't believe your both gone so quickly." Deryn sat down on Fei's bunk. "Then it's just me..." Deryn looked heartbroken.

"Me neither." Fei sighed. "But I'm seeing Julian soon. He's on that ship."

"Good news for you." Alek commented. "But Fei...how can I ever pay you back? And you've done a lot of things for the two of us..."

Fei waved her hand dismissively. "No, no, don't worry about it. What are friends for?"

"Um...Fei, where did you get the money?" Deryn wondered.

"I made it. I'm a trainer, I still get paid. Anyways, being credited as an inventor does help you." Fei smiled. "And I've also made performances and speeches, but I did feel like I was going to die on stage."

"Wait an inventor?" Alek said.

"Did you fabricate any beasties?" Deryn's eyes narrowed.

"Um...maybe." Fei grinned.

"You did." Alek said.

Fei smiled coyly. "Not that big of a thing, you know."

Deryn snorted. Alek rolled his eyes.

"Ah, ha ha." Deryn laughed humorously, sarcastically. "You're so modest."

"Why thank you!" Fei chortled.

~~~~~Three Days Later~~~~

"Well, I guess this is goodbye, my friends." Fei said softly.

"Aye, I guess." Deryn's eyes were misty.

"Thanks for the messenger falcon eggs." Alek said, holding up three very small falcon eggs. Alek was sorry to say goodbye to Fei. He never thought they would ever end, but he was saying goodbye now.

Fei was loading up her pegasus with her stuff, which was frankly very little. She was preparing her griffin, and strapped the saddle on properly. Her violin case was in the most secure spot. She was wearing her usual riding clothes, and Fei seemed a little taller than usual.

"So long, goodbye my friends." Fei smiled a farewell. She pointed to the night sky, which the moon was rising, and the stars were beginning to come out. "Remember, look up to the stars, believe in yourself. And no matter where we are, we'll always be looking at the same moon and stars, the same sky."

Deryn's tears finally spilled a bit, and hugged the aggressive girl. This time, she didn't stiffen or flinch, but hugged her back, her black eyes shining and a real smile on her face. Alek also gave her a big hug. She accepted it gladly.

"Where's your ship?" Deryn's voice was thick.

"Two kilometers from here." Fei replied.

"Two kilometers?" Alek was suprised.

"I've flown twenty miles, back and forth, I think pretty much one mile is alright." Fei rolled her eyes, comically.

"Um...Can you do anything for Newkirk, Fei?" Alek asked. "I mean...as much as I dislike him, being attacked by beasties is kinda...harsh."

Fei looked sheepish. "I can't undo it. But it'll wear out."

"And just how long it would be?"

"Uh...three years at least? Four?"

"THREE YEARS?!" Alek and Deryn exclaimed at the same time. They all laughed.

"Well, I'd best be going." Fei said softly, after their giggling fit.

"Goodbye, my friend." Alek said.

"We'll miss you." Deryn sniffed, keeping her tears in check. Fei gave them one last smile, and she soared with her griffin, the two pegasus, and the drakon, her entourage of falcons, and flew off in the horizon.

Alek and Deryn stood still and watched her fade from view. They were holding hands, and close together. After Fei was long gone, they were watching the stars.

Look at the stars, Fei told them. Alek had never thought about the sky that way, but it was comfort to know that Fei would also look at it the way he did, and Deryn too. This made him feel less lonely.

"What are you going to do with your hair?" Alek murmured at Deryn, catching one pale blond strand. It was longer now, but it was still boyish.

"Oh, grow it." Deryn replied. "I think I want it long."

"It looks beautiful anyways." Alek smiled, and Deryn did too.

"Are you going to miss her? Are you going to miss me?" Deryn suddenly asked.

"Oh, Deryn! Of course!" Alek pulled her into his arms. "You're everything to me, and Fei's one of my best friends."

"Oh, Alek." Deryn shuffled in closer. "I love you."

"And I you."

"How is it going to work out?"

"Somehow, somehow it will." Alek said.

So they both held their hands, and looked up to the stars.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12