Scott Westerfeld Forum

Author Topic: "Number 12 looks just like you" similarity  (Read 959 times)

PerfectlyxImperfect

• Were all grieving/Lost and bleedng
"Number 12 looks just like you" similarity
« on: May 27, 2011, 11:45:12 AM »

I was watching The Twilight Zone [the old series from the late 50's/Early 60's] "Number 12 looks just like you" and noticed a very close similarity to Uglies.
Since The Twilight Zone is only a 25 minute show, there wasn't time enough to expand enough on the world they were in, such as in Uglies. But the basic concepts of the stories are similar: in Uglies, you must wait till your 16 to receive the "operation";  in the Twilight Zone episode, you must wait until you are 19 to receive the "transformation".
In TTZ [the twilight zone], you choose from a few different models the government suggest for you; In Uglies you're free to choose different features that comply to the standards set.
If you watch the episode [it's on Netflix for instant watch and probably on YouTube] you'll notice a few more similarities.

I'm still a huge fan of Uglies and don't think Mr. Westerfeld is unoriginal in any of his ideas, I just couldn't help but notice. Of course Uglies exceeds this show in creativity among other things.
Do you think Scott was influenced any by this show or is this idea "eventually everyone will be beautiful and the government will be controlling and we'll get a ton of plastic surgery" an idea that was around for a while?

[Oh.. and Hello again! I haven't been on here in forever. Did I miss anything?]
Just a little girl in a shrinking world... Looking for a place to run and hide

shay

Re: "Number 12 looks just like you" similarity
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 08:47:32 AM »

thats just wierd

Beth-la

• Laughter Is Eternity
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 09:36:47 AM »

He's said before that that episode was inspiration for Uglies.

Also, the Twilight Zone episode "Eye of the Beholder" is very similar.
"Help! One of the geeks has escaped! GEEK ON THE LOOSE! GET A NET!"

*~* WESTERFORUM'S RESIDENT SPAZ & BEAST-LA*~*

shay

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2011, 03:47:40 AM »

cool
hes an awesome writer