Scott Westerfeld Forum

Author Topic: got a quetsion about risen empeier(sp?)  (Read 983 times)

Treya-Chan

• Dauntless at Heart
got a quetsion about risen empeier(sp?)
« on: June 02, 2011, 01:56:47 PM »

Whats it about and how mant books are in the series? And why doesnt anyone talk about it?
Westerforum Resident Multi-Genre Music Lover

PhoenixAshes

• "I am about to die."
Re: got a quetsion about risen empeier(sp?)
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 03:10:45 PM »

I haven't read them (yet), but they were some of the first books he published. I think there's only two in the series: The Risen Empire and The Killing of Worlds. Very sci-fi. You can check out the first book here:

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/267022.The_Risen_Empire

I hope that helps a wee bit.

waxesnostalgic

• Crazed Leviathan Fangirl
    • Leviathan Wiki
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 09:08:14 AM »

Scott has the part on his site about it too. http://scottwesterfeld.com/books/succession-series/

I liked it quite a lot, but it's not a YA book--I'd recommend it to older teens. There are two books but they are really one book (Sucession) that was split into two: Risen Empire and Killing of Worlds. It's a space opera (like Star Wars). He's said before that he plans on finishing the series, but I'm not sure if that's still true, but it ends on a bit of a cliffhanger. Anyway, since you haven't gotten a summary yet here's one. Forgive me for errors, it's been about  a year since I read it.

Anyway, it's about two lovers, the captain of a ship and an imperial senator. They are divided because they have to be in different places and support different political parties, and rarely see each other. They live in the Risen Empire, which is ruled by an immortal emperor, who has discovered the secret to immortal life. He resurrects as immortal, or "Risen" some of those who support him by supplementing their bodies with mechanical parts. It's considered the highest honor to be Risen in the empire. The empire is invovled in a long war with these mechanical women (can't remember what they are called :-[... Rix?) who try to take over by controlling all machines on a planet. They hope that soon the entire universe will be part of one computer mind. The plot is about the captain and the senator, who discover a secret about the emperor's abilitites and also about a Rixwoman, who goes to an imperial planet as a spy. It's certainly an interesting book...
"I may not understand Goliath," he said simply. "But I understand Darwinist fabrications even less."
"Keep it that way," Volger said. "You're the heir to the Austrian throne, not some zookeeper." -Goliath

Leviathan Wiki

tridecagirl

• It's never too late.
    • Pencil to Paper: The Daily Life of a Compulsive Writer
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 09:22:11 AM »

I read those. They were kinda weird.
Not my kind of thing.
Just close your eyes/ The sun is going down/ You'll be all right/ No one can hurt you now/ Come morning light/ You and I'll be safe... and... sound
***WESTERFORUM RESIDENT MOM/TREEHUGGER***