Scott Westerfeld Forum

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Darwinian/Clanker Weapon Comparison  (Read 7173 times)

ptoss1

Darwinian/Clanker Weapon Comparison
« on: February 04, 2010, 05:56:59 AM »

This is the official speculation thread for Darwinian/Clanker weapon comparisons.

zyanas

Re: Darwinian/Clanker Weapon Comparison
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 12:14:57 PM »

So here's my take on it: If the Darwinists do it properly, and take out all of the factories and mines within the first year, they can win the war in that time. They do have the superior technology, kill-wise; it takes a lot more fire power on the Clanker side of things to take down an equivalent ship on the Darwinist side. (At least that's how it seems thus far).

However, if the Darwinists don't take out the factories and supply chains now, while they still can, they will ultimately loose, I think. Creature tech appears to take much longer to prepare. It could be years before you can go from your new idea for a ship to it being old enough to even test, and then you still have to get it trained properly. If the design is flawed, you have to sort through the effects it will have on the entire echosystem and try to engineer a fix that still keeps the balance; and then you must wait for years to find out if your solution worked.

The time between having an idea and being able to test the idea is much shorter for machines. Furthermore, machines offer mass production; In the time it takes to train one Leviathan, you could build thousands of planes. So, if the Clankers through experience figure out, say, that what they really need is a plane equipped with a gun that can shoot flares in addition to it's normal gun, their current planes can be changed over and their new planes can come of the line with this already implemented. If it turns out to be a bad idea a month later, they can strip them off and use the parts for something else.

That said, this is mostly speculation; I don't really know yet how long it takes from idea to monster, or how many can be made at once; The Darwinists may have superior technology and production capacity. Similarly, actual battle strategy is kind of a big deciding factor, as are politics, and could swing the war any number of ways. However this goes, I'm eager to watch it play out.

ptoss1

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2010, 06:29:24 AM »

So here's my take on it: If the Darwinists do it properly, and take out all of the factories and mines within the first year, they can win the war in that time. They do have the superior technology, kill-wise; it takes a lot more fire power on the Clanker side of things to take down an equivalent ship on the Darwinist side. (At least that's how it seems thus far).

However, if the Darwinists don't take out the factories and supply chains now, while they still can, they will ultimately loose, I think. Creature tech appears to take much longer to prepare. It could be years before you can go from your new idea for a ship to it being old enough to even test, and then you still have to get it trained properly. If the design is flawed, you have to sort through the effects it will have on the entire echosystem and try to engineer a fix that still keeps the balance; and then you must wait for years to find out if your solution worked.

The time between having an idea and being able to test the idea is much shorter for machines. Furthermore, machines offer mass production; In the time it takes to train one Leviathan, you could build thousands of planes. So, if the Clankers through experience figure out, say, that what they really need is a plane equipped with a gun that can shoot flares in addition to it's normal gun, their current planes can be changed over and their new planes can come of the line with this already implemented. If it turns out to be a bad idea a month later, they can strip them off and use the parts for something else.

That said, this is mostly speculation; I don't really know yet how long it takes from idea to monster, or how many can be made at once; The Darwinists may have superior technology and production capacity. Similarly, actual battle strategy is kind of a big deciding factor, as are politics, and could swing the war any number of ways. However this goes, I'm eager to watch it play out.

There are indeed many factors that decide the outcome of a war, either long or short term. I'm surprised though, at how you believe the Darwinists have superior technology. There is absolutely no proof of that, and we cannot compare due to the differing technologies. The Darwinists lack speed, without any way of transporting materials over long distances in a hurry. They have no train, yet their weapons (animals) can repair themselves with only food. No mechanics required. What if the Darwinists have discovered how to manipulate growth hormones? The atomic bomb? So many factors.

The Leviathan itself took down at least 6 planes... Is that a lot for WW1? I don't know.
And it survived.

S.M.S Ultimatum

• Fire Everything!
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2010, 11:35:18 AM »

I'll compare it like this: you have the Darwinists who can manufacture anykind of creature they need, and as mentioned ptoss, the Darwinists lack speed. However another major factor is firepower. The Darwinists (as of now) have absolutely no Artillery what so ever, Flechette Bats are only good for cutting down infantry, but when compared to walkers, they could simply bombard Darwinsit encampments and then finish them off either with an infantry swarm or aerial assault. On the Darwinist side of the spectrum, they have the reliance of being able to manufacture whatever they need and seeing as Dr. Harlow's eggs are of the dire importance it can only be assumed that the eggs will give an edge to the Darwinist Faction. Still my reliance and faith is to the Clankers and considering that technology "evolves" over time, I can only hope that we'll see more efficent walkers with a wider selection of ordnance.

Starbuck

• Resident pilot
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2011, 12:09:46 PM »

gasbag VS Storm walker = BOOM!!!!
Im a die hard darwinist

Tesla

• westerforum's resident lightning conjurer
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2012, 12:35:52 PM »

The darwinists weapons hve the ability to think, and therefore they have a fight or flight reflex (ex. When the leviathan ran from the goeben's tesla cannon) but the clankers have their walkers and conventional zeppelins.  So, its all in the air technicly speaking
"Tim has 3 apples, jim has 6, now use this information to calculate the mass of the sun"
                                ~ my math teacher

It's not violence, it's communication!

Y'all can't get rid of me that easily!

Flashman

• Spooky! I'm a ghost! Ooh!
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2012, 06:37:42 PM »

One factor is that steel armor is considerably tougher then anything that has been seen in the natural world as of yet.
Westerforum Resident Oh Who Cares No One Will Actually Read This

Tesla

• westerforum's resident lightning conjurer
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2012, 05:10:24 AM »

Well yes, there is the draw back of armouring, but the clanker machines half to have repair work done, and replacement parts where the average darwinian w.o.w* can be fixed with a good feeding

*weapon of war
"Tim has 3 apples, jim has 6, now use this information to calculate the mass of the sun"
                                ~ my math teacher

It's not violence, it's communication!

Y'all can't get rid of me that easily!

Starbuck

• Resident pilot
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2012, 10:43:09 AM »

The clankers will always have superior weaponry I mean a Rocket launcher or incindeary rounds VS a Highly flamable gas bag?

deathchicken

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2012, 11:04:37 AM »

Ya and in teh future Clankers will have giant robots and Darwinist will still have fliying whales.

Starbuck

• Resident pilot
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2012, 12:10:36 PM »

yeah.

Straif

• Westerforum's Resident Fabricated Human
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2013, 05:45:02 AM »

(How the bloody hell did I miss this...#shouldhavebeenonheresooner)
Sergeant Marasco, First Squad, Darwin's Fist
Crusher of Clankers, Defender of Darwinism
President For Life and Almighty Darwinist-Tractionist Monarch of the Ballard High Book Club
Resident Halo Fanatic

sandy5

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2013, 12:51:26 PM »

I don't think a severly injured fabrication could get better just by being well-fed. It would probably require expensive surgery and time-consuming rehab.
"I would sacrifice my happiness for yours without a twinge
Though you should never know about the gift
If I might hear, far off as in a dream,
A little of the laughter I had brought."
-Cyrano de Bergerac

Straif

• Westerforum's Resident Fabricated Human
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2013, 04:14:35 PM »

Depends on the fab. Rapid tissue regeneration has been seen in animals before...lizards growing back tails and limbs for example, and sea cucumbers, which regrown their internal organs...
Sergeant Marasco, First Squad, Darwin's Fist
Crusher of Clankers, Defender of Darwinism
President For Life and Almighty Darwinist-Tractionist Monarch of the Ballard High Book Club
Resident Halo Fanatic

Daft_Prince

• Also known elsewhere as BowlerFish
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2013, 10:58:07 PM »

I really want to know how long it takes for a Darwinist weapon to grow, because that could be the deciding factor here.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4