Scott Westerfeld Forum

Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44]

Author Topic: Rants  (Read 21444 times)

Ceres

• Orangé Tong
Re: Rants
« Reply #645 on: November 03, 2017, 03:30:03 AM »

Positive rant:
So it's just sinking in that in my lifetime, humans will most likely be living on Mars. I, random human #12 billion (more or less), will be alive to see humanity reach out beyond this planet we've called home for thousands of years - billions if you count our most distant ancestors, the first living beings on Earth - and make our home on a planet millions of miles away. I could even see the first human born on another planet, or at the very least the first animal. We're there, guys. Humans are on the brink of what will probably become one of our greatest breakthroughs and it's amazing and I can't wait to be part of that 8 billion strong or so group of humans that unite to witness it.

Panzercrappitastica

• Westerforum Resident Exalt
« Reply #646 on: November 03, 2017, 04:20:30 AM »

Right?? Humans are so cool?? Space is so cool?? I love it
Purple-handed peep Volger with a flash tattoo hoverboarding around the Lynx in the blue hour with adreneline coursing through his penguins while failing to own the sunset! In a hoop skirt.

Pan the Imperial Bucket Holder

"Early to bed, early to rise, early to plan the world's demise"
- Catvomitsky

Gentlebiscuit

« Reply #647 on: November 03, 2017, 01:03:09 PM »

I always wanted to be the first person born on Mars when I was little. It didn't work out.

Hiss.

Ceres

• Orangé Tong
« Reply #648 on: November 03, 2017, 01:06:14 PM »

...or did it? :o

Panzercrappitastica

• Westerforum Resident Exalt
« Reply #649 on: November 10, 2017, 06:02:53 AM »

So my school gave us assigned seats for the Veterans' Day assembly (made us sit with our homerooms) and I get that it's to make sure everyone shows up but I'm pissed about it because like. I have a friend whose brother is a Marine so Veterans' Day hits her hard and this stupid seating chart stopped me from being there for my friend and screw that?? Like usually "I wanna sit with my friends" is a kinda petty reason to protest a seating chart but when it's a really emotional experience for people let them sit with their friends and get emotional support
Purple-handed peep Volger with a flash tattoo hoverboarding around the Lynx in the blue hour with adreneline coursing through his penguins while failing to own the sunset! In a hoop skirt.

Pan the Imperial Bucket Holder

"Early to bed, early to rise, early to plan the world's demise"
- Catvomitsky

BlueberryDoughnut

• Knife Wife, Keeper of the Holy Bun
« Reply #650 on: November 11, 2017, 05:41:23 AM »

So I was hanging out with my best friend last night, and she told me that her little sister has head lice, and she had caught some, too. They treated their house and have been treating her and her sister's head ever since they found them, which is fine, but when I told her I was worried about getting them, she said, "Don't worry; I wouldn't have told you if I wasn't sure I was in the clear."
No. No no no no no. She definitely should have told me, regardless of whether she was sure she was clear or not. Because head lice is a serious problem for a salon. That's what my school is - it's a fully functioning salon. It's not just classroom learning and practicing on mannequins. If she was infested and didn't tell me - if she exposed me to it and didn't tell me - I wouldn't think to check myself for lice. So I wouldn't think twice about going to school with it, which would expose my classmates, the other students, and their guests. Heck, I thought twice about going to school today just out of caution. I was half tempted to skip and start treating my head. I'm still tempted now to get an educator to check me, and then treat my head regardless, and ask them to treat the building. Plus, why am I having to deal with fleas and lice all of the time now? I hate bugs. I hate creepy crawly things that stick to you and infest your hair and your pets. Why does my friend think it's okay to take her sister to get a haircut not tell the stylist about the lice?
And guess what happened when I asked my educator to check my head. She found lice!!!!!
"We are not drawn to God by iron chains, but by sweet attractions and holy inspirations."
      ~ St. Francis de Sales

"God can write straight with crooked lines. We just have to let Him in."
      ~ Fr. Mike Schmitz

"Love is a losing game...one I wish I never played..."
       ~ Amy Winehouse

Ceres

• Orangé Tong
« Reply #651 on: November 11, 2017, 10:30:55 AM »

e-e I also hate bugs and getting head lice is just about my worst nightmare so I can't imagine what that must be like. I hope you can get rid of them and that they didn't infect your clients/classmates :-\

BlueberryDoughnut

• Knife Wife, Keeper of the Holy Bun
« Reply #652 on: November 11, 2017, 12:04:48 PM »

I had to leave early to treat it, but luckily I caught it early enough that getting rid of them shouldn't be a huge problem. And the educators checked my entire class; my friend said she doesn't think anyone else has it.
"We are not drawn to God by iron chains, but by sweet attractions and holy inspirations."
      ~ St. Francis de Sales

"God can write straight with crooked lines. We just have to let Him in."
      ~ Fr. Mike Schmitz

"Love is a losing game...one I wish I never played..."
       ~ Amy Winehouse

Gentlebiscuit

« Reply #653 on: November 12, 2017, 08:15:32 PM »

Positive(ish?) Rant.

We listened to the story of a boy and girl in church today. Both under ten. I can't remember their names but the boy's name starts with M and the girls name starts with R. They're both from the Philippines.
Their mother accepted money from a foreign man to let people violate and abuse M, R and three of their cousins on webcam. Repeatedly. For years. It's just one example of the cyber sex trafficking industry that countless children have been forced into. Fortunately, the Australian government intercepted the videos and images sent to the pedophile, arrested him, gave the originating address to the International Justice Mission and they, together with the Philippine police force raided the house, arrested the mother and freed the children. Not only are the children free now, but they're happy. M loves superman, taking care of plants and animals, and his sister. They're in the care of a relative who had nothing to do with abuse.
Anyway. All that was possible thanks to an organization called the International Justice Mission. Besides sounding like a comic book, their goal is to eradicate slavery around the world. Good thing too, cause over 40,000,000 people are currently enslaved around the world. In some cases [largely in India] a whole family can be enslaved to anything from a brick factory to a brothel over a loan as small as 25$. So speaking of which, if any of you guys would be willing to pass along what these guys do over social media or anything I'd really appreciate it. A 25$ donation a month can make the world of difference.

https://www.ijm.org/
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 12:17:45 AM by Gentlebiscuit »

Hiss.
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44]