Scott Westerfeld Forum

Author Topic: Impossible Creatures  (Read 1159 times)

• "For you, a thousand times over."
Impossible Creatures
« on: October 20, 2013, 05:24:41 AM »

So, I was organizing stuff to bring with me to school the other day, and came across an ancient portable HD. After plugging it in, I found a torrented version of the game Impossible Creatures, which I used to play way back around middle school. So I installed it, and played through it again, and pretty much cried of joy at how uncannily and awesomely similar it is to the Levi series.

If you haven't heard of this game, it is old (10 yrs + I believe) but absolute gold. The basis of the game is an innovative take on standard RTS; you have the genetic pool of around 35 species (and like, 30 more with free expansion packs) which you can then combine into new fabricated creatures of your choosing via something called the Sigma Technology, to form the backbone of your customized army. For example, a giraffe has a very large line of sight, so combine its head with the legs and body of a cheetah you get a fast-moving scout.

What's even more awesome is the setting of the campaign story line (in the year 1937). Basically, the start of the Sigma Technology comes from a Death Ray experiment by our dear friend Nikola Tesla, who in the IC universe, (gasp), also used the weapon to create the events at Tunguska. As a result of the intense radiation, species melded together, and one of the scientists on Tesla's team internalized this technology, turning its destructive power towards combination applications. Thus the Sigma Technology was born. The whole time I was replaying it, I was thinking, wow, this would be so amazing in a Levi setting. I really want to know whether or not Scott has heard of this game before.

It is not available on Steam nor Amazon and no longer in stock in the usual EB Games retailers, which I think is enough justification to torrent it, so please do! Play it! For a game of its time, you'll find it has excellent graphics as well.

• Also known elsewhere as BowlerFish
Re: Impossible Creatures
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2013, 11:44:29 PM »

Mantis Eagles.

Mantis. Frickin'. Eagles.

I need this.

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2013, 01:26:43 PM »

This reminds me of this game my friend had where you design aliens... I think it was called Spore...
"I would sacrifice my happiness for yours without a twinge
Though you should never know about the gift
If I might hear, far off as in a dream,
A little of the laughter I had brought."
-Cyrano de Bergerac

• Westerforum's Resident Fabricated Human
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2013, 04:17:15 PM »

Ah yes, Spore...
Sergeant Marasco, First Squad, Darwin's Fist
Crusher of Clankers, Defender of Darwinism
President For Life and Almighty Darwinist-Tractionist Monarch of the Ballard High Book Club
Resident Halo Fanatic

• There is no 'I' in team. But there is in 'Winner'!
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2013, 06:08:16 PM »

Spore is a good game but IC is way better is campaigns. Creating your own fabricated animalsis awesome in many ways. But the best creature on IC is a Praying Mantis and a monkey. Making a Praying Monk! ;D

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2013, 12:23:30 PM »

Rabbit Butterfly

"Bah! Clankers and their clumsy contraptions. They have absolutely no idea how much stronger us Darwinists are! My fabricated recorder bat could fly great distances to deliver gossip-er, important information-to my allies. Ah, the life of a boffin is a tiresome one. " ~me, if I was in the Leviathan