Scott Westerfeld Forum

Author Topic: Not-Dalek shippers?  (Read 1344 times)

SteampunkMorrisGirl

Not-Dalek shippers?
« on: September 12, 2011, 11:14:02 AM »

I'd be pretty surprised is Deryn and Alek didn't get together in the last book, so I'm pretty resigned to my fate. But I was wondering if I was the only one who was not a big Dalek fan? I dunno, they just don't seem to have much chemistry to me.

tridecagirl

• It's never too late.
    • Pencil to Paper: The Daily Life of a Compulsive Writer
Re: Not-Dalek shippers?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 11:18:10 AM »

It's hard to have chemistry when the other person doesn't know you're a girl, right?
Just close your eyes/ The sun is going down/ You'll be all right/ No one can hurt you now/ Come morning light/ You and I'll be safe... and... sound
***WESTERFORUM RESIDENT MOM/TREEHUGGER***

SteampunkMorrisGirl

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 11:25:18 AM »

Probably. But I don't think chemistry was exactly the word I was searching for. Just, I don't think they'd make a good couple. I don't think either of them have any attraction outside of a little-kid crush. And I certainly couldn't imagine them living together happily for a long relationship or anything. I think they'd work out best as good friends, with Alek ruling the empire with a nice, politically acceptable wife, and Deryn sending him letters from abroad. *shrug*

Julitenshi

• Di nuovo quello stupido incubo.
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 01:47:18 PM »

XD I think they have chemistry, and tons of it. Then again, it may be fake chemistry that is merely psychological to me, seeing as how if there is a pairing to be shipped in any fandom, I will ship it. But still, I can see Deryn's being a bit more than a little kid crush, and perhaps even if Alek were to know she were a girl simply because I don't really believe in many platonic relationships working out that way, and also I've read more into almost half of the stuff Deryn's said or thought about Alek almost a million times over. Scott is pretty much a genius with stuff like that in my eyes. Just the way he writes about her body language, or her thoughts. I just feel that he made all the pieces fit for a girl to appear as if she were in love with a boy.
Typically, when a guy and a girl are best friends, one falls for the other hard. Almost ALWAYS. Thats an added percentage of chance if it's not a real life couple, but one in any sort of media. But you're right in that it would be hard for them to have a long-term relationship, but I think to me that's what makes them so ship-worthy :3
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 01:53:55 PM by Julitenshi »

Moonie

• Barking princes.
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2011, 02:17:47 PM »

While I love, love, love Deryn/Alek (I can't take 'dalek' seriously) I do adore seeing another take on it, as you still have very good points! And it's nice to deviate from the norm, as this fandom can be very one minded.

I think you see 'little kid' because they're so young, but... Alek has killed someone, and Deryn is a soldier. i think it's unfair to view them as too young for love, when you factor in that.

So... hmm, i adore them together (book otp of all time!) but I can see not everyone buys into their relationship, and can understand wanting them to stay friends.

bizarronivla12

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 04:40:47 PM »

It's hard to have chemistry when the other person doesn't know you're a girl, right? yep, good point
I'd be pretty surprised is Deryn and Alek didn't get together in the last book, so I'm pretty resigned to my fate. But I was wondering if I was the only one who was not a big Dalek fan? I dunno, they just don't seem to have much chemistry to me.
Personally I don't care for a ''ship'' either but it seems as though it's going to happen, may not be the way most hope for but inevitable. It may only be implied as to where their relationship goes but we really don't need explanation do we? nooooo.  Personally I'd be cool if scott left the implication to the epilogue.

bizarronivla12

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2011, 04:42:37 PM »

I see you're new around here. Welcome  :)

waxesnostalgic

• Crazed Leviathan Fangirl
    • Leviathan Wiki
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2011, 11:40:20 PM »

I think the word you were looking for might have been "compatible."

As it is, I love Alek and Deryn's quiet, maybe even old fashioned love a lot more than any 'ship I've read with a lot of "chemistry." If the circumstances that keep them apart were taken away, they have a lot more going for them, I think. They've got a lot in common, parent's deaths, love of exciting things (in fact, one scientific study somewhere found that when people do exciting things together, they have more chemistry. XD), and a certain determination. And they've been through a lot together. But that's just me, and they are my OTP of all time.  ;D
"I may not understand Goliath," he said simply. "But I understand Darwinist fabrications even less."
"Keep it that way," Volger said. "You're the heir to the Austrian throne, not some zookeeper." -Goliath

Leviathan Wiki

SteampunkMorrisGirl

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2011, 05:27:36 AM »

I think you see 'little kid' because they're so young, but... Alek has killed someone, and Deryn is a soldier. i think it's unfair to view them as too young for love, when you factor in that.
I don't think it's because they're that young, I think it's more because Deryn herself tries to write it off as that. I guess I see the deeper moments of their relationship (like when they talk about their parents) as not that romantic, and more the kind of connection you get from someone who cares about you deeply but not romantically, just as a person. The only real romance signs I've seen are Deryn's purely physical "tingling" after Alek hugged her and stuff, which she immediately dismisses as silly.
I mean, I'm not going to quit reading the book in a fit of anger if they do get together, I just think they'd work out much better as friends.

SteampunkMorrisGirl

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2011, 05:28:34 AM »

I see you're new around here. Welcome  :)
Thanks.