Scott Westerfeld Forum

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Divergent by Veronica Roth :)  (Read 2653 times)

charis-rableau

• Pretty sure I must have been Poe in a past life...
    • Leviathan Tumblr!
Divergent by Veronica Roth :)
« on: August 12, 2011, 06:10:20 AM »

Okay, so recently this book has been one of my latest reads. Have any of you read it? I just really liked this book! If you haven't read it, please do! TRUST ME. Especially if are a fan of the Hunger Games. I'm pretty sure you'll like this one.
Here's how it looks:

And here is the synopsis inside the cover:
In Beatrice Prior's dystopian Chicago, society is divided into five factions, each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue—Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). On an appointed day of every year, all sixteen-year-olds must select the faction to which they will devote the rest of their lives. For Beatrice, the decision is between staying with her family and being who she really is—she can't have both. So she makes a choice that surprises everyone, including herself.
During the highly competitive initiation that follows, Beatrice renames herself Tris and struggles to determine who her friends really are—and where, exactly, a romance with a sometimes fascinating, sometimes infuriating boy fits into the life she's chosen. But Tris also has a secret, one she's kept hidden from everyone because she's been warned it can mean death. And as she discovers a growing conflict that threatens to unravel her seemingly perfect society, she also learns that her secret might help her save those she loves . . . or it might destroy her.
Debut author Veronica Roth bursts onto the literary scene with the first book in the Divergent series—dystopian thrillers filled with electrifying decisions, heartbreaking betrayals, stunning consequences, and unexpected romance.

Prestidigitation

• flying whales ftw.
Re: Divergent by Veronica Roth :)
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 07:07:15 AM »

I bought this book :D
I'm really excited to read it, although I haven't started it yet.

"Undercover, Mr. Sharp!" - Bovril
"Deryn waved her arms, trying to indicate the sledge, movement, and the general notion of destruction." - Leviathan, 341
"And for the knots." - Goliath, 397

By_the_Books

• I'm a paradoxical butterfly.
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 08:33:20 AM »

Best YA dystopian book of the year. Hands down.

I loooooved it!
Hey! You guys can call me Jeesh! Yeah... Probably not going to happen...

I'm not a newbie, alright? I just don't have an enourmosly high post count like all of these other mental people. ;P

**Westerforum Resident Footballer and Merlin Fangirl**

charis-rableau

• Leviathan Tumblr!
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 10:02:37 AM »

I bought this book :D
I'm really excited to read it, although I haven't started it yet.

Whoo! It's a good book. You won't be able to stop once you start!

Best YA dystopian book of the year. Hands down.

I loooooved it!

Yay! I'm glad to know someone else has read it too. I can't wait until Insurgent. :D

By_the_Books

• I'm a paradoxical butterfly.
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2011, 01:48:00 PM »

Is that what the sequel is going to be called? I was extremely pleased with the book. Not so much with the fact that it had just come out, and I would have to wait for the next one.

That good thing about the Hunger Games when I read them was that they were all out. Well Mockingjay was just coming out. So I could  have them all lined up and ready to read when I finished one.

And I couldn't put down Divergent either! I bought in for my Nook, and I started it, and had to stay up late to finish it. I had been in a bit of a reading rut, and so it was really great for me.

I really liked Tris as the female lead. I think she is just as strong a character as Katniss. She was extremely relatable, at least for me. (Spoiler Alert) The whole thing about the Dauntless initiation, and the fear landscape was so interesting to me. The fact that Roth could put her character through stuff like that and still have her be strong yet believable?

It was just a really well written book. I think it was Roth's first one, if I'm correct. But it's one of my favorites.
Hey! You guys can call me Jeesh! Yeah... Probably not going to happen...

I'm not a newbie, alright? I just don't have an enourmosly high post count like all of these other mental people. ;P

**Westerforum Resident Footballer and Merlin Fangirl**

elkemaedchen

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2011, 02:23:07 AM »

Yeah its her first one but it was SUPER AMAZINGLY AWESOME!!!!! I can't wait for the second one to come out!

Reenie-La

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2011, 07:24:47 AM »

I have this book, I can't wait to read it--maybe I'll start this next :D

Reenie-La

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2011, 11:35:10 PM »

I just finished reading this lastnight, it was freaking awesome!!! <33 I can't wait for the next one! ^^

Nina-Chan

• Fantastic!
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2011, 09:37:59 PM »

ive been wanting to read it for ages but imma wait till it comes out in paperback, it is really expensive
Member since 01.06.10

limabeanz-spof

• stop hating on alan barlow!
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2011, 07:12:45 AM »

hey yall u think that if you were abnegation you could get out of doing hw by telling your teacher you were busy helping a little boy...uh...mend his kite?
AKA Tapioca F. Pudding-Cup

"That boy Dylan is completely guileless-incapable of keeping a secret." Count Volger, Behemoth pg 70

I'm eating a blarglepuff sandwich. It tastes disgusting.

Total pwnage is nigh.

Deryn Sharpie-spof should do this math problem:
432g+7.35(15-g)=177.21(15)
g=?

charis-rableau

• Leviathan Tumblr!
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2011, 01:50:59 PM »

Is that what the sequel is going to be called? I was extremely pleased with the book. Not so much with the fact that it had just come out, and I would have to wait for the next one.

That good thing about the Hunger Games when I read them was that they were all out. Well Mockingjay was just coming out. So I could  have them all lined up and ready to read when I finished one.

And I couldn't put down Divergent either! I bought in for my Nook, and I started it, and had to stay up late to finish it. I had been in a bit of a reading rut, and so it was really great for me.

I really liked Tris as the female lead. I think she is just as strong a character as Katniss. She was extremely relatable, at least for me. (Spoiler Alert) The whole thing about the Dauntless initiation, and the fear landscape was so interesting to me. The fact that Roth could put her character through stuff like that and still have her be strong yet believable?

It was just a really well written book. I think it was Roth's first one, if I'm correct. But it's one of my favorites.

Completely agree with you. Insurgent is the name of the next book and it comes out sometime in May of next year?

kristina-la

• A 1000 times I've failed still your mercy remains
    • tumblr
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2012, 01:31:08 PM »

I just finished it  a few days back (actually...last week :P)

anyways.......

I thought it was ok. now I think it was quite good because I can pick out political ideas of socrates and John Locke. :) (because Im in a political science class this semester and Im learning this stuff :)....well, anywho...

Abnegation represents all the ancient thinkers (specifically plato and socrates): when it is discussing how they give power to those that do not want it to begin with. they give power to the selfless-the ones that seek to live in a way that serves others rather than themselves.

Erudite on the other hand is straight up John Locke. (now, for you Americans this will all be familiar because your countries foundation is based on this guy. Life liberty and the pursuit of happiness? sound familiar? yeah.)
the Erudite are all focused on have a prosperous life. they are all about self-preservation. That is John Locke.there is no concept of living morally to benifit others.....it's all about benifiting oneself. because apparently that is more important. -_-
(sorry if this sounds like Im bashing america :P....but if you REALLY think about it.....that idea of all having equality and freedom and....the right to SELF-preservation is selfish. It's all about the one rather than the larger group.)

So, in other words....I fully support abnegation. they have it right even if it means that no one has the freedom to be who they really are....

“No matter how filthy something gets, you can always clean it right up”

Reenie-La

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2012, 03:18:21 AM »

I just finished it  a few days back (actually...last week :P)

anyways.......

I thought it was ok. now I think it was quite good because I can pick out political ideas of socrates and John Locke. :) (because Im in a political science class this semester and Im learning this stuff :)....well, anywho...

Abnegation represents all the ancient thinkers (specifically plato and socrates): when it is discussing how they give power to those that do not want it to begin with. they give power to the selfless-the ones that seek to live in a way that serves others rather than themselves.

Erudite on the other hand is straight up John Locke. (now, for you Americans this will all be familiar because your countries foundation is based on this guy. Life liberty and the pursuit of happiness? sound familiar? yeah.)
the Erudite are all focused on have a prosperous life. they are all about self-preservation. That is John Locke.there is no concept of living morally to benifit others.....it's all about benifiting oneself. because apparently that is more important. -_-
(sorry if this sounds like Im bashing america :P....but if you REALLY think about it.....that idea of all having equality and freedom and....the right to SELF-preservation is selfish. It's all about the one rather than the larger group.)

So, in other words....I fully support abnegation. they have it right even if it means that no one has the freedom to be who they really are....

That's a good analysis Stina and I totally agree with what you said about the whole John Locke thing even though I never thought about it before! *nodnod* ((we learn nothing in high-school history :P ))

kristina-la

• tumblr
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2012, 05:45:10 AM »

lol :P
that's cause you guys wouldn't be bashing it. hahha

kristina-la

• tumblr
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2012, 11:38:52 AM »

I would also like to add that Lord of rings is also reference in this book when they mention giving power to those that don't want it. (giving the ring to frodo. cause to hobbits want power? no. they just want their shire)
(well, sorta. but really, lord of the rings is using socrates :P The ring of gyges :)
hooorray for political science class

Pages: [1] 2