Scott Westerfeld Forum

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 20

Author Topic: Maybe everyone being Pretty-minded wouldn't be such a bad idea...  (Read 28566 times)

Nina-Chan

Re: Maybe everyone being Pretty-minded wouldn't be such a bad idea...
« Reply #225 on: April 18, 2010, 12:12:01 AM »

ttb is cool (in a dork sense, not in a popular sense)

hoverponies forever

• THEY ARE SO CUTE!!!
« Reply #226 on: April 18, 2010, 12:13:11 AM »

Yeah, she is really nice and smart. She brings me green tea mints.
Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what I've tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice.

Attitudes are contagious. Mine can kill you

Nina-Chan

« Reply #227 on: April 18, 2010, 12:14:49 AM »

cool!
she seems nice and smart but i dont know her personally, obviously

Jessie-wa121

• I AM icy! :)
« Reply #228 on: April 20, 2010, 06:16:12 AM »

Even though all of us are really defensive, they had no idea their minds were being messed with. Also, people in tally's city were literally, "bred" to think that way. Their parents sent them away when they got ugly, they were kept from everything until they were sixteen. If you were that emotionally desperate, wouldn't YOU do something that would make it all go away? I would.

Nikki-La

• Bow Chicka Wow Wow
    • Facebook
« Reply #229 on: April 22, 2010, 04:50:48 AM »

I for one would be fully bubbly to taking the operation.  :) If I could be a Pretty, that would be the best thing ever!  ;D Why would anyone be opposed to being made completely beautiful if you had the chance to. If the operation was different than the rink-dink plastic surgen engeniers that there are now, then why not do it? There really wouldn't be any risks, no wars, no fights, no gangs, no violence. As long as you are sixteen, then you can live life up and do whatever you want to do! There is no real harm in that. And hey, if you disagree with the lesions, then maybe one day, they could make it so that you can sorta think outside of the box. Maybe you could be one of the great minds to do it. But why not strive for everyone to be made beautiful? There wouldn't be any bulimia or anorexia and people wouldn't be dying over trying to be thin, and there wouldn't be any binge eaters who are trying to bulk up in weight. And, hey, if you felt like standing out from the crowd and not being uniform, that's what spiral tattoos are for and costomizing you eyes. There are ways to be different you know.
          I haven't even gotten to the environmental stand-point yet. Did anyone else in reading these series notice how sweet the environment was because people weren't screwing around with it? Being pretty DEFINATELY has more pros than cons! Why not give the operation a try?!?!?!  ;)
You thought you knew this angel when you really released all the dark inside and set free the evil.

JimmyLost

• Beware what may enter there.
« Reply #230 on: April 22, 2010, 05:53:39 AM »

...cuz I'd rather have a brain, I don't know is that selfish of me?

Tabac vie

« Reply #231 on: April 22, 2010, 09:35:55 AM »

please don' t even get me started again. Please see all the rants from pages before.
Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of human freedoms- to choose one's attitdue in any given circumstance, to choose one's own way. - Vicktor E Frankl

Nina-Chan

« Reply #232 on: April 22, 2010, 09:42:38 AM »

"Never forget that everything Hitler did in Germany was legal..." --Martin Luther King, Jr.
because he made it legal

steve-la

• I like to RP
« Reply #233 on: April 22, 2010, 09:49:20 AM »

"Never forget that everything Hitler did in Germany was legal..." --Martin Luther King, Jr.
because he made it legal
agreed

Tabac vie

« Reply #234 on: April 22, 2010, 10:18:40 AM »

but seriously niktork. there are MANY more cons than pros for the pretty opration. But I would like to hear all of what you have to say on the subject.
Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of human freedoms- to choose one's attitdue in any given circumstance, to choose one's own way. - Vicktor E Frankl

Nikki-La

• Bow Chicka Wow Wow
    • Facebook
« Reply #235 on: April 23, 2010, 04:46:52 AM »

Granted, it would be fun to be icy, but why NOT want to be pretty? If it meant that everything in the world could be safe, then why not try everything there is possible to make it so that things were safe? What real harm is there in being pretty-minded? You have a few lesions in your brain that make you not want to use all of the worlds resources, or start wars, or fight for petty reasons, is that wrong? Can people be so macho that they'd rather only think about themselves than the world as a whole? Is it wrong of me to think that things on Earth could be better than people scraping by for money and food to provide for themselves and their families? That people can have harmless fun? That kids can have something to look forward to when they grow up instead of having to get jobs when their family can't support them anymore?  ???

The world with possibilities like that sounds pretty good to me. And no, I don't agree with Dr. Cable's tactics for all the people who would try to be individuals, because I'd be one of the people she'd be going after. But the world that she created, it seemed wonderful. People don't have to fight for our planets resources like natrual gas, oil, and coal. We wouldn't be cutting down trees every second or polluting the Earth either. Didn't Dr. Cable come up with a utopia for future life?  :-[

Can someone please show me the negative impacts of a world like this because I'm not really seeing the downsides here...?  :-\
You thought you knew this angel when you really released all the dark inside and set free the evil.

Pedestrian

« Reply #236 on: April 23, 2010, 06:29:47 AM »

Because that kind of absolute perfection is the death of individuality and true beauty.
It's safety and comfort and the shallowest kind of happiness possible. It isn't real and it isn't meaingful.

To quote John the Savage from Aldous Huxley's Brave New World:
"But I don't want comfort. I want God, I want poetry, I want real danger, I want freedom, I want goodness. I want sin."

Maybe the operation makes society seem better as a whole, but what difference does that make if the thoughts and emotions of the individual are sacraficed to do it? It means we virtually killed humanity--by killing off everything that was meaningful about our race, everything that has always defined human beings. Is it worth killing humanity in this way in order to create a picture-perfect society?

My opinion is no.
But that's sort of where the paradox on the books lies. Is it worth killing humanity to save humanity? Or saving humanity just to kill them?

Emma-la

« Reply #237 on: April 23, 2010, 07:10:31 AM »

I see both sides of the arguments and I've become conflicted. What Nikki-la has been saying is true, as is the other stuff. The whole environment part of Nikki's argument really did make sense to me. But also, the whole having no brain and everything...is it really worth it? I mean, there's more to life than being pretty and happy, isn't there? Sometimes you have to admit that being different in mind and looks-which they are taking away from us in the operation-is really great. There'd be no debates (I love having debates with my friends) and the city controls (basically) how you think and what you think about. It's nice to always be happy and pretty and have a perfect enviroment, but at the same time, think of all we'd be giving up for that.
“The only way out of the labyrinth of suffering is to forgive.”
*~*RESIDENT FORUM ROLEPLAYING ADDICT*~*

steve-la

• I like to RP
« Reply #238 on: April 23, 2010, 09:38:28 AM »

I think pedestrian and nikki-la are trying to get us back on topic

I also think they will fail

bklvr!!

• oh hey
« Reply #239 on: April 23, 2010, 11:35:19 AM »

even if they do succeed we'll trail off sooner or later...
Cheesecake!
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 20