Scott Westerfeld Forum

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20

Author Topic: Maybe everyone being Pretty-minded wouldn't be such a bad idea...  (Read 29316 times)

Pedestrian

Re: Maybe everyone being Pretty-minded wouldn't be such a bad idea...
« Reply #255 on: April 27, 2010, 06:28:41 AM »

so before there was language, a "pre-rusty" was already arguing with another one because it was instinct? how is that? if there was no language, there was no argument.
I didn't say that. I don't know that. You don't know that.
I was probably wrong to say that war is only exaggerated argument.
I don't know enough about psychology to explain what war results from. Only that it's a very, very complex sociological behavior that you can't turn on and off.

Any single thought that you have in your mind isn't in one place in your brain, but in many places. So war, which encompasses several ideas--personal beliefs and morality, conformity, patriotism, violence and bloodlust--how could you even "find" war in someone's brain?

I guess this is mostly just awe at the entire idea of lesions. They're not possible now, so it's hard to say what would and would not be possible in the manipulation of them if they actually existed.

Tabac vie

« Reply #256 on: April 27, 2010, 09:07:51 AM »

I have noted Nikki-la that life with out war and hunger would be a great one. But their is to much sacrifice with that.  What is the point of saving a humanity that has nothing that is good about it? If we lacked what made humanity humanity we would lose bad sure but we would also lose so many wonderful things.

As for "pre-rusty" it's the human, no any life force way to react oppostite another. take wolves for example....they don't talk...they fight over leadership, food, etc. It's part of what makes a living being a living being the fight, arguments.  As Pedestrian said their isn't a simple off on switch...to do such a feat as you suggest would require completely rewiring the brain. We would lose what makes humans humans. It almost would get to the point of artifial intelligence. but thats another debate.
Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of human freedoms- to choose one's attitdue in any given circumstance, to choose one's own way. - Vicktor E Frankl

Nikki-La

• Bow Chicka Wow Wow
    • Facebook
« Reply #257 on: April 28, 2010, 04:13:50 AM »

true. and i really don't think that i'd want to lose the abilities that i have now...........CRAP yall are turnin me!!!!!!!!! :-\
You thought you knew this angel when you really released all the dark inside and set free the evil.

Tabac vie

« Reply #258 on: April 28, 2010, 07:57:12 AM »

hahaha. :D sorry Nikki la I just love a good debate!
Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of human freedoms- to choose one's attitdue in any given circumstance, to choose one's own way. - Vicktor E Frankl

Tabac vie

« Reply #259 on: April 28, 2010, 08:19:21 AM »

noted: but what did that animal lose? A lot. Plus the example was to show how words aren't just the reason for arguements, it's wired in the brain,to fight for ones self to well for lack of a better word, corrupt.

Nina-Chan

« Reply #260 on: April 28, 2010, 08:35:09 AM »

wow!

Nina-Chan

« Reply #261 on: April 28, 2010, 08:40:12 AM »

way too much overpopulation

Nina-Chan

« Reply #262 on: April 28, 2010, 08:50:25 AM »

no genetic evolution whatsoever?

Tabac vie

« Reply #263 on: April 28, 2010, 08:56:05 AM »

wow!

ikr !!! it's all about adapting to the environment !!!

the problem with humans is that there is just too many of us, so like wild wolves we fight each other for dwindling resources

It has nothing to do with dwindling resources. sure that is a arguement but it is the human nature, the way the brain was created that causes are arguements. It has nothing to do with the world, if the world was flawless (it practically was) we would still be there to ruin it, to fight. It's in the human nature to argue...see how much pleasure I get out of arguing with you guys...that is my mind, years of human nature.

Nina-Chan

« Reply #264 on: April 28, 2010, 08:59:24 AM »

it is partialy brain-wiring and just too many people too

Tabac vie

« Reply #265 on: April 28, 2010, 09:08:42 AM »

true with overcrowding came and increase from arguements.....more people more things to argue about more people rubbing shoulders. but the base of arguing is human wiring human nature.

Tabac vie

« Reply #266 on: April 28, 2010, 09:16:40 AM »

Their is good and bad in all people. But what i'm talking about is the want to argue to state ones opinion to have your own MIND. That is some thing that will always be human nature.

Tabac vie

« Reply #267 on: April 28, 2010, 09:29:51 AM »

everyone has an opinion. Everyone has their own thought process. Humans have opinions on things. That is a fact. Humans argue because humans are different, have different opinions have different upbringings. yes people are different but we all have the desire to think for ourselves and not have others think for us.

Nikki-La

• Bow Chicka Wow Wow
    • Facebook
« Reply #268 on: April 29, 2010, 04:25:24 AM »

yeah. i agree with Tabac vie. Humans were programmed to question everything, to have our own opinions of things. we cant help it. its part of some genetic code in our DNA to question what we do not know and to fight for what we believe in. Why do you think that when people are put on trial and are asked to go against their convictions or suffer the consequences, if they truely believe it, then they'll die for it. Do you think that deep down they really want to die? (of course there's always a small portion that does) They do it because it is encoded in us to do it. Captains go down with their ships. Men and women go to war for their countries. African Americans marched for their rights. Chinese underground Christians were steam-rolled because they refused to deny their religion. Obama became president because he wasn't intimidated by homicidal theats to him if he was to become an African American president. Joan of Arc was burned at the steak. Nazis killed others unlike them. Rachel Scott refused to deny Christ and was killed because of it.
You thought you knew this angel when you really released all the dark inside and set free the evil.

Tabac vie

« Reply #269 on: April 29, 2010, 05:45:30 AM »

So isn't debatable...humans will fight for their right to think for them selves...we always have, history proves that.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20