Scott Westerfeld Forum

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 20

Author Topic: Maybe everyone being Pretty-minded wouldn't be such a bad idea...  (Read 27979 times)

Nina-Chan

Re: Maybe everyone being Pretty-minded wouldn't be such a bad idea...
« Reply #75 on: January 10, 2010, 01:22:10 AM »

Ok just forewarning you I'm not siding with Special Circumstances saying that the operation is absolutely necessary and the only way to keep war away but,...

would everybody being pretty-minded be necessarily a bad thing? Everybody is happy, no arguments, hardly any rebellion, everybody is just getting along. With how the world is now does that sound absolutely terrible? I mean, the lesions you receive don't hurt you or anything so what is so wrong?!? What if our civilization managed to create something like the operation, just looks aren't changed during it, and it doesn't make everybody absolutely stupid/bad-decision makers. Honestly, I am tired of war and its effect on all the involved and surrounding countries. If everybody just got along in the first place, we wouldn't be fighting over stupid, meaningless, and sometimes even forgotten arguments. I understand everybody has an opinion, but what if others were more understanding and accepting of others opinions, and didn't take them to heart, meaning, that they didn't think somebody's thought or opinion would hurt or invade their personal beliefs.

Post your opinions and thoughts about this. and remember!--I'm not siding with the bad side in the Uglies, just stating how if tweeked a little, it could be a really good thing.

That does make sense,but not for me. I am the type of person who enjoys deep conversations.  I do see your point though. :)

Nina-Chan

« Reply #76 on: January 10, 2010, 01:33:27 AM »

Might be a good novel idea  ;D I would love to have my own personal life remote control. It might be annoying if everyone had one though. Time would stop and start constantly.
like the adam sandler movie, click, was it called?

Pedestrian

« Reply #77 on: January 10, 2010, 01:37:56 AM »

About being pretty-minded...

Yeah, it would be a good thing for society. That's why they did it. By making everyone into sheep, they made them compliant and stopped war and fighting. They stopped people from arguing with each other. They made people happy. But they took away people's individuality and their ability to think creatively. So I think it would be a bad thing for people as individiuals, because they wouldn't really be able to think.

So this leaves us with two philosophical questions:
Which is better...perfection or individuality and free will?
Happiness or knowledge?

Nina-Chan

« Reply #78 on: January 10, 2010, 01:40:36 AM »

About being pretty-minded...

Yeah, it would be a good thing for society. That's why they did it. By making everyone into sheep, they made them compliant and stopped war and fighting. They stopped people from arguing with each other. They made people happy. But they took away people's individuality and their ability to think creatively. So I think it would be a bad thing for people as individiuals, because they wouldn't really be able to think.

So this leaves us with two philosophical questions:
Which is better...perfection or individuality and free will?
Happiness or knowledge?
I iagree:D

Chloe-Wa

« Reply #79 on: January 10, 2010, 02:17:00 AM »

It would be difficult to decide- we would have to think of whether society as a whole was more important than individuals
The most courageous act is still to think for yourself. Aloud. Coco Chanel
Fashions fade, style is eternal. Yves Saint Laurent

Nina-Chan

« Reply #80 on: January 10, 2010, 02:20:40 AM »

It would be difficult to decide- we would have to think of whether society as a whole was more important than individuals

A matter of ethics. I think people should be offered the choice, should be told the consequences, and be able to reverse the surge.

Pedestrian

« Reply #81 on: January 10, 2010, 02:37:06 AM »

Yeah, it would be extremely hard.
I like to think that if we have the ability to think as individuals, then we'll use that ability to improve society. But clearly that's not always the case (like all the knowledge that's been used to create weapons). But then, look at pretty society. They stopped technology from evolving for a couple hundred years. Then after the mind rain, there was suddenly an abundance of new stuff being made because people could think creatively again (like smart matter!)

levi_ann

« Reply #82 on: January 10, 2010, 02:40:38 AM »

I'd rather have my own mind. Utopia never works as history has taught us. People will always have differences if it's only about what lip gloss looks better.
"Our fingerprints don't fade away from the lives we touch." --Robert Pattinson, Remember Me

Chloe-Wa

« Reply #83 on: January 10, 2010, 02:41:26 AM »

true- maybe if we chose society and had a "pretty" society it would be good for humanity and war would be prevented, and then have a few select people to continue creating technology, but then we would end up with specials- people who think they're really superior
The most courageous act is still to think for yourself. Aloud. Coco Chanel
Fashions fade, style is eternal. Yves Saint Laurent

meghan-wa

• I love the feeling of being icy. doesnt everyone?
« Reply #84 on: January 10, 2010, 11:18:41 AM »

i would love being pretty minded
You laugh because im different
I laugh because you're the same!!!
X-D

Heliopteryx

• Aliens are people too!
« Reply #85 on: January 10, 2010, 12:24:18 PM »

I wonder what the world would be like if the pretty operation (without the appearance-alteration) were a punishment for criminals. 
If knowledge=power, then great knowlege=great power.

However, with great power comes great insanity, so MUAHAHAHahahahahAHAHAHAHAhahahaha. . . . . . . . . . .

Heliopteryx

• Aliens are people too!
« Reply #86 on: January 10, 2010, 12:24:50 PM »

And I wouldn't want to be pretty-minded, but I wouldn't be able to hate it after the fact.  
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 12:35:23 PM by Supperviolet »

However, with great power comes great insanity, so MUAHAHAHahahahahAHAHAHAHAhahahaha. . . . . . . . . . .

purplebookworm2

« Reply #87 on: January 10, 2010, 12:27:37 PM »

I wouldnt wanna be pretty minded, then i wouldnt wanna read books X_X
"'So, David, is that one of the things you though about all those years, when you imagined the Smoke being invaded? Did you ever wonder what would turn the cities into history?'
       He smiled and took a big bite.
       'It gets clearer every day.'" - Uglies

Heliopteryx

• Aliens are people too!
« Reply #88 on: January 10, 2010, 12:28:20 PM »

But if you were pretty-minded, you wouldn't be sad not to. 

Pedestrian

« Reply #89 on: January 10, 2010, 12:33:49 PM »

And I wouldn't want to be pretty-minded, but I wouldn't be able to hate it ater the fact. 

Like Shay.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 20