Scott Westerfeld Forum

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20

Author Topic: Maybe everyone being Pretty-minded wouldn't be such a bad idea...  (Read 27682 times)

Ali-wa

Ok just forewarning you I'm not siding with Special Circumstances saying that the operation is absolutely necessary and the only way to keep war away but,...

would everybody being pretty-minded be necessarily a bad thing? Everybody is happy, no arguments, hardly any rebellion, everybody is just getting along. With how the world is now does that sound absolutely terrible? I mean, the lesions you receive don't hurt you or anything so what is so wrong?!? What if our civilization managed to create something like the operation, just looks aren't changed during it, and it doesn't make everybody absolutely stupid/bad-decision makers. Honestly, I am tired of war and its effect on all the involved and surrounding countries. If everybody just got along in the first place, we wouldn't be fighting over stupid, meaningless, and sometimes even forgotten arguments. I understand everybody has an opinion, but what if others were more understanding and accepting of others opinions, and didn't take them to heart, meaning, that they didn't think somebody's thought or opinion would hurt or invade their personal beliefs.

Post your opinions and thoughts about this. and remember!--I'm not siding with the bad side in the Uglies, just stating how if tweeked a little, it could be a really good thing.
Oh, so Bubbly-making =D

Treya-Chan

• Dauntless at Heart
Re: Maybe everyone being Pretty-minded wouldn't be such a bad idea...
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2009, 03:42:34 PM »

i dont want to be Pretty-Minded
Westerforum Resident Multi-Genre Music Lover

Ali-wa

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2009, 10:33:55 PM »

well i know you don't want to be exactly "pretty-minded" like the pretties in the book.....i was just thinking if everybody wasn't offended from others opinions, points of views, or thoughts, mayb we wouldn't be caught up in so much war and stuff...
Oh, so Bubbly-making =D

Tash-la

• Life's too damn short for if's and maybe's
    • Deviantart
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2009, 06:44:46 AM »

I'm going to add that there's this big thing out there that many people are a fan of called free will. Free will means that you can decide what you do, where you can do things, why you can make decisions, and be unique. But like everything else, free will comes with a cost. The cost of getting to make your own decisions and form your own opinions is that other people out there can make opinions that differ with yours. This results in disagreements, arguments, and-unfortunately- war.
Being 'pretty-minded' may not change exactly who you are, but it does change what you can do and accomplish as a person. It hinders you from making logical decisions and opinions that are truly yours. Sure, you are happy as a pretty, but that is only because you are ignorant of what life could be like if you had a free mind. Making people 'pretty-minded' has it's advantages, because it does make controlling a population easier and could stop war (not that it did end up stopping war in the book, as the Smoke proved), but it is a not a democracy. People are brainwashed into believing that the operation is what is best without being given the chance to make up their own mind about it, leaving whoever is on top to control all of the stupid and naive pretties.

So I think it isn't a good idea. There are some things in this world that are worth fighting for, even if it has consequences, and one of those things that I value very much is my freedom.
Sometimes travelers turn into poets....

Ali-wa

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2009, 10:59:56 AM »

oh, yeah, i forgot about that aspect sorry :) lol
i value my freedom as well.
haha. wow. silly me. lol
i still think if there was someway to make others more understanding and accepting of others, that that would be a good thing for civilization
Oh, so Bubbly-making =D

Treya-Chan

• Dauntless at Heart
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2009, 11:04:42 AM »

oh, yeah, i forgot about that aspect sorry :) lol
i value my freedom as well.
haha. wow. silly me. lol
i still think if there was someway to make others more understanding and accepting of others, that that would be a good thing for civilization
You are so right. I just don't want to be bubble-headed

Ali-wa

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2009, 11:06:29 AM »

oh me either. i like being my own personality and not acting happy, but stupid like the person to the right and left of me
Oh, so Bubbly-making =D

Treya-Chan

• Dauntless at Heart
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2009, 11:10:19 AM »

and AGAIN you are soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo right man you are sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo good. LOL!!!!!!!! ;D

Ali-wa

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2009, 11:13:43 AM »

haha thats alright though, here in my little crappy town everybody acts stupid. there is nobody sane. might as well be living in new pretty town. lol
Oh, so Bubbly-making =D

Treya-Chan

• Dauntless at Heart
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2009, 11:14:56 AM »

Yeah i with you there

Chloe-Wa

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2009, 06:10:54 AM »

Freedom is something I value, but I have to admit that being a Pretty does appeal to me. It just sounds so fun and happy- everyone wants to be beautiful and it would be nice if people could be a bit more understanding of other people. I don't want to be a bubblehead but being constantly happy and calm and beautiful doesn't really sound that bad- I would be good with just a little more freedom and individuality. It wouldn't be all that bad   :)
The most courageous act is still to think for yourself. Aloud. Coco Chanel
Fashions fade, style is eternal. Yves Saint Laurent

Ali-wa

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2009, 06:13:55 AM »

yay! lol someone sees pretty close eye-to-eye with me  :D lol thats kinda wat i was tryin to explain in too many words lol
Oh, so Bubbly-making =D

Tash-la

• Deviantart
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2009, 06:42:31 AM »

Everyone wants to be beautiful because they don't realize that they are beautiful. A whole lot would change in the world if people were more understand of themselves and others.

I think it's a little contradictory to say that you want to be happy and calm and pretty, but not bubbleheaded. Isn't the whole calm, going-along-with-things attitude part of being a bubblehead?  ???

Ali-wa

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2009, 07:04:54 AM »

yes, in the book, but we are altering it a bit for real life  :D
just thinkin it would be cool if we basically all got along  ;D
Oh, so Bubbly-making =D

Tash-la

• Deviantart
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2009, 08:18:24 AM »

But then there would be no great debates!  ::)
I agree that it would be nice if everyone got along, though, I just don't want lesions to be the cause of it. If people made a conscious effort to get along on their own, I would much prefer that.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20