Scott Westerfeld Forum

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Books into Movies  (Read 4450 times)

WellBattle6

Books into Movies
« on: August 30, 2011, 09:03:28 AM »

So I know most of here are exited for Uglies to be turned into a movie and for the day Scott anounces that Leviathan is in production. The trailer for Hunger Games on March 23, 2012 and for me...it looks meh. Not a lot showed yet as it's obviously the teaser. Post your thoughts and worries here of all books into movies being in production.
The road of life is always under construction.

Alek/Deryn and Barlow/Volgar for the win.
Go Canada! :)

Lightning4

Re: Books into Movies
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 09:16:40 AM »

I would love to see Leviathan as a movie, but would not like important parts to be taken out or have parts added on, which I have seen happen.

Moonie

• Barking princes.
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 09:26:25 AM »

Haven't really been excited for The Hunger Games movie after they casted Katniss as white. ugh.

Lightning4

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 09:29:52 AM »

I liked the Hunger Games books but I'm not planning on seeing the movie

Sing_in_the_Rain

• Wheeee!!!!
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011, 10:10:32 AM »

im going to see the movie. my friend and i are going to the midnight showing to laugh at it
"I may be on the side of the angels, but don't think for a second that I am one of them."

And night always turns into day.

Lightning4

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2011, 10:13:02 AM »

I wanted to go to the Harry Potter midnight showing but I couldn't :'(

Scribe

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2011, 10:13:54 AM »

I honestly don't know who I would cast as Alek and Deryn. I would hope they'd cast a Scottish girl and an Austrian (or at least German) guy for Deryn and Alek.

Lightning4

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2011, 10:16:35 AM »

I agree

Sing_in_the_Rain

• Wheeee!!!!
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2011, 10:16:56 AM »

they'd probably get a dialect coach for that
"I may be on the side of the angels, but don't think for a second that I am one of them."

And night always turns into day.

bizarronivla12

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2011, 11:48:11 AM »

I love it all, can't wait to see the movies. My only concern is time constraint of the films.

Klarsynet

• I like children.
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2011, 11:52:16 AM »

If I had my first choice, Leviathan would be an animated movie. But, that would take a lot of time and a lot of money.

Scribe

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2011, 12:04:40 PM »

Animation would be PERFECT. Can you imagine if they let Studio Ghibli do it?

Klarsynet

• I like children.
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2011, 12:15:18 PM »

They're experienced with flying scenes, steampunk, beasties, and I just love their movies. But the problem is that the style sometimes isn't very Leviathan-esque and since they're with Disney (Feel free to correct me.), we might have some Disney Channel "star" playing the characters. (Or siblings of "stars", like in Ponyo.) And even though Howl's Moving Castle was a really nice movie with splendid animation, it didn't really stick to the original story. :|
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 02:57:35 PM by Klarsynet »

Scribe

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2011, 12:39:21 PM »

That's true. Ghibli isn't Disney, though. It's Hayao Miyazaki's creation. A lot of his work does get picked up by Disney, but I don't think there's an agreement.

The story of "Howl's Moving Castle" was a lot different from Diana Wynn Jones's, particularly Howl's characterization and just about everything in the second half, so I agree with you there. But I would totally love to see something done with the same attention to ambiance, color, and movement that Studio Ghibli's work has. I could do with a different (sharper) animation style for the people, though. I'm not sure the faces are quite right for the feel of Leviathan, now that I'm thinking about it.

Hmmm.

Klarsynet

• I like children.
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2011, 12:48:04 PM »

That's what I get for not doing my research. :P

Anyway, I agree, the atmosphere of Ghibli is right, I'm pretty sure Scott even said it himself that he would love them to do it. But, the drawing style for the characters aren't. :| But, that's Ghibli's signature style, if we change that, we change Ghibli. Hmmm.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5