Scott Westerfeld Forum

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Books into Movies  (Read 5365 times)

Klarsynet

• I like children.
Re: Books into Movies
« Reply #45 on: August 31, 2011, 02:26:21 PM »

Or you could and you could hear a slew of angry words. xD

flashstick

• Alan Barlow needs to die.
« Reply #46 on: August 31, 2011, 02:27:08 PM »

Whoops.
Whenever anyone mentions Dalek I think of Doctor Who.

Klarsynet

• I like children.
« Reply #47 on: August 31, 2011, 02:28:22 PM »

It's been done. *dramatic music* xD

flashstick

« Reply #48 on: August 31, 2011, 02:32:59 PM »

Hahaha!
I think Shyamalama, though he wasted money, provided good entertainment.

FOR INSTANCE:
Now we can insult him to no end.
Now we can lawl at Yue's hair to no end.
Now we can crack jokes about how he's deaf to no end.
AND WE CAN DO THE EARTH-BENDING MACARENA!

The purple bit is a link. Click it.

Flight girl

• Boo
« Reply #49 on: August 31, 2011, 02:36:54 PM »

Oh my friend was extremely peeved at the avatar movie cause she and her brother watched the entire series and they both love it and I tried watching it but only saw bits and peices and I could tell a lot of stuff was wrong
*The one and only, Captain Epic!* (As decreed by 2 AGs)

The world is made of light and darkness, so are our hearts, you can't have one without the other, so I ask you, why are we scared of the dark . . . . .

flashstick

« Reply #50 on: August 31, 2011, 02:39:49 PM »

The only reason anyone should ever watch the Shymalama version is to make fun of it.
It you even think of the actual series, you WILL get peeved. Very quickly, and very violently.

I mean, they don't even pronounce the names right!
It's not a book, it's a cartoon.
WE KNOW FOR A FACT HOW TO SAY THEIR NAMES.
REALLY?

xDDD Shymalama's such an idiot.

The credits are cool, though...

Flight girl

• Boo
« Reply #51 on: August 31, 2011, 02:49:01 PM »

?? Ive never heard of a syhmalma I think your talking about the director but I rarely pay attention to the directors

The world is made of light and darkness, so are our hearts, you can't have one without the other, so I ask you, why are we scared of the dark . . . . .

flashstick

« Reply #52 on: August 31, 2011, 02:52:20 PM »

M. Night Shyamalan is responsible for the trainwreck that is the live-action movie The Last Airbender.

I refer to him as Shyamalama because he is a(n unintentionally) ridiculous human being, and therefore is a llama. xD

So yeah, he's the director.

Flight girl

• Boo
« Reply #53 on: August 31, 2011, 02:57:23 PM »

Oooohhh okay I wasnt sure

LiterateChick

• Please don't take anything I say too seriously. ;P
    • LiterateChick Reviews
« Reply #54 on: August 31, 2011, 03:02:13 PM »

The best bit in that movie:

"He's making fire out of thin air!"

Me and my sister both died laughing. XD
If actions speak louder than words, why is the pen mightier than the sword?
I reject your reality and substitute my own
<3
It's physics magic!
ಠ_ಠ
ಠ_ృ Monocle... Not smile

Flight girl

• Boo
« Reply #55 on: August 31, 2011, 03:07:43 PM »

@literate chick (sorry this is WAY of yopic but teally want to say it) OMG I just watched the video in your siggie and now I WANNA TRY ;D

Bookie92

« Reply #56 on: August 31, 2011, 03:17:31 PM »

Here's my two cents on the issue:

Live action or animated, it doesn't really matter to me as long as the production is worth the $10.50 I pay at the Cineplex. But there are other factors to consider when making a film and a few points I want make:

1) Don't deride book to film adaptations. Some adaptations are better then the books they were based on. Take for example, the Bourne Series (okay, they're adaptations in name only because the director and the writer, Robert Ludlum, wanted to make Bourne more relevant for the post-9/11 world). On top of that, the current writer of the Bourne series (Ludlum died in 2001) has totally wrecked Jason Bourne, so hopefully the next movies can write out the wrongs currently done by this new author who's name shall not be named here. Another example: Breakfast At Tiffany's. How many of you know that it was originally a novel written by Truman Capote?

2) One has to think about when the film comes out. If you go more Disney kid films or you have George Lucas whimsical, then it's going to premier in spring with the other kids films and has to compete with the giants of Disney-Pixar and Dreamworks. Unless, say Disney picks up the film rights to Leviathan and then it'll most likely be a summer blockbuster like Pirates of the Caribbean.

If Leviathan went summer blockbuster route, then it'll likely that the rights have been picked up by Disney (most likely live action), Dreamworks (most likely animated), Warner Bros., New Line Cinema (KEEP UWE BOLL AWAY FROM LEVIATHAN!!!!!!), Paramount and Universal Pictures. Most likely directed by Jon Favreau, Michael Bay, James Cameron, Steven Spielberg, Peter Jackson and George Lucas.

If released in fall/winter, it'll definitely be live action and Oscar bait. If released in November/December, Leviathan will most likely have been picked up in by Paramount Vantage (who do more "art house" films) or Miramax. the film will more likely be on the lower budget side. It'll most likely be directed by Clint Eastwood, the Coen Brothers, Christopher Nolan, Martin Scorsese, Darren Aronofsky, Guillermo Del Toro, Spike Lee and Quentin Tarantino. And Leviathan has some Oscar bait qualities going for it already: it's a war story, takes inspiration and is based around true events, has a lesbian character (Lilit), has two underdog heroes (Alek and Deryn) and has settings in Europe, Asia and early 20th century America/Mexico (or so I'm told).

3) Director, producer, editor(s), writer(s), actors, composer and distributors are highly important to consider when making a movie. No two directors have the same style. When it comes to something like a Leviathan adaptation, I see it either pandering more to the pre-teen base or make it "dark and edgy". My hope is that Leviathan gets a director like Clint Eastwood or Christopher Nolan who can mix darkness and light perfectly in a film. I think Steven Spielberg could pull it off if someone was there to constantly remind him to make Leviathan more Saving Private Ryan/Thin Red Line/Band of Brothers/The Pacific than the Indy film that shall remain nameless. The producer has to get the proper financing, the editors and writers have to make the film just so from what the director gives them (which is why I love Eastwood, he also writes the script and helps edit). The music's got to set the right tone and the actors have to fit their characters. And the distributors have to get the film out at the right time. Leviathan is one of those franchises that's either a "summer blockbuster" (think the Marvel films) or Oscar bait and could easily flop if not done correctly.

Now I'm not saying that an animated feature wouldn't work for Leviathan, but I think a live action film, properly done, would be stunning. Just my two cents.
Ready, Aye, Ready

Flight girl

• Boo
« Reply #57 on: August 31, 2011, 03:26:43 PM »

Wow.........i didnt realize it was possible to make that long of posts..........and all I can say about what you actaullt wrote is.........wow....amazing................

Fuhreesha

• MY PRECIOUS...
« Reply #58 on: August 31, 2011, 11:39:10 PM »

Hahaha!
I think Shyamalama, though he wasted money, provided good entertainment.

FOR INSTANCE:
Now we can insult him to no end.
Now we can lawl at Yue's hair to no end.
Now we can crack jokes about how he's deaf to no end.
AND WE CAN DO THE EARTH-BENDING MACARENA!

The purple bit is a link. Click it.

I never noticed they were doing the macarena when I first watched the movie! THIS IS AMAZING.
Narwhals vs. Unicorns?
Unicorns don't exist. End of discussion.
---------
See some of my Leviathan fan art here:
http://fellie220.deviantart.com/gallery/31743371

and some of my Leviathan one-shots here:
http://fanfiction.net/~Fuhreesha
---------
~ Westerforum's Resident Potato-Loving Chink ~

LiterateChick

• Please don't take anything I say too seriously. ;P
    • LiterateChick Reviews
« Reply #59 on: September 01, 2011, 01:35:24 AM »

@literate chick (sorry this is WAY of yopic but teally want to say it) OMG I just watched the video in your siggie and now I WANNA TRY ;D
IKR? I wanna know how he does it! ;D
If actions speak louder than words, why is the pen mightier than the sword?
I reject your reality and substitute my own
<3
It's physics magic!
ಠ_ಠ
ಠ_ృ Monocle... Not smile
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5