Scott Westerfeld Forum

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Books into Movies  (Read 5749 times)

Scribe

Re: Books into Movies
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2011, 01:10:42 PM »

A conundrum indeed. But the style wouldn't be BAD for it, just not quite as sharp (lol) as I would like. ;) If we're dreaming, I would say a mashup of Ghibli and Pixar.

OR A SQUARESOFT VIDEO GAME. (oooooooohhh.)

Moonie

• Barking princes.
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2011, 02:55:35 PM »

They're experienced with flying scenes, steampunk, beasties, and I just love their movies. But the problem is that the style sometimes isn't very Leviathan-esque and since they're with Disney (Feel free to correct me.), we might have some Disney Channel "star" playing our characters. (Or siblings of "stars", like in Ponyo.) And even though Howl's Moving Castle was a really nice movie with splendid animation, it didn't really stick to the original story. :|

This is why we watch things subbed! haha

Anyway, Miyazaki is literally the number one person who is influential in my life (sorry, family and friends) and i think that should tell you I love and respect him more than words can say. BUT; while i think he would get the feel of Leviathan right, he would change A LOT. Like... majorly shift around the plot and characters.
Especially the characters.

However it would probably become my favorite movie of all time, pushing Kiki's Delivery Service out of it's place of honor, so there's that. ahha

GodotIsWaiting4U

« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2011, 02:57:56 PM »

If I had my first choice, Leviathan would be an animated movie. But, that would take a lot of time and a lot of money.

I imagine it would be cheaper than trying to do it live-action, though. I don't think a live-action version would be able to get the funding needed to do the setting and scenes justice, but an animated version (I'm picturing a Ghibli-style anime thing, but a CGI film COULD work) might have an easier time of it.

The problem THERE is that animated media tend not to get the respect they deserve. Fantasy and sci-fi don't get their due either, so even if Leviathan gets a great adaptation it probably not going to be a commercial success. Alek and Deryn may end up being confined to pages forever.  :'(
The one good thing about World War I is that it got us a great book series about 100 years later.

Klarsynet

• I like children.
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2011, 03:02:45 PM »

If I had my first choice, Leviathan would be an animated movie. But, that would take a lot of time and a lot of money.

I imagine it would be cheaper than trying to do it live-action, though. I don't think a live-action version would be able to get the funding needed to do the setting and scenes justice, but an animated version (I'm picturing a Ghibli-style anime thing, but a CGI film COULD work) might have an easier time of it.

The problem THERE is that animated media tend not to get the respect they deserve. Fantasy and sci-fi don't get their due either, so even if Leviathan gets a great adaptation it probably not going to be a commercial success. Alek and Deryn may end up being confined to pages forever.  :'(

Well, it depends on the effects needed for the full effect. Which would cost a boatload. But animation takes time, money, and effort as well.

But, maybe it's for the better that they're forever confined?

GodotIsWaiting4U

« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2011, 03:34:50 PM »

Well, it depends on the effects needed for the full effect. Which would cost a boatload. But animation takes time, money, and effort as well.

Find me a scene that has no walkers or beasties and I will eat my hat. This is a setting in which the fantasy tech is VERY highly visible. It is EVERYWHERE. I don't know about you, but I would want grade-A effects for a Leviathan live-action movie. I'm talking Pirates of the Caribbean level. A Leviathan film project would probably wind up only getting enough funding for Doctor Who-level effects. While that works great for Doctor Who, it does NOT work for Leviathan. As expensive as an animated version would be, it's almost certain to be cheaper.
The one good thing about World War I is that it got us a great book series about 100 years later.

Miss Lucy

« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2011, 08:55:42 PM »

If it's going to be live action, I really worry about excessive CGI. No matter how good the animators are, it just always looks a little bit wrong to me when they stick something beside a live action actor. Muppets and animatronics would be wicked. I re-watched Labyrinth recently and the scene with the worm or even the fire-breathing... things... don't look that dated to me. True, that would still chomp up productions costs like a hungry hungry something or other.

For the 2D, I suggest Studio 4C. They're all about weird styles that don't fit anywhere. Their movie Mindgame was mostly rotoscopy. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gf4M2mIs2Ws

stephenmac7

« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2011, 09:16:05 PM »

Haven't really been excited for The Hunger Games movie after they casted Katniss as white. ugh.

If the author described her as not-white then I didn't get it. I always thought of her white.

Also I really hope they don't do a movie SO different that it has no right to bear the name of the book.

Fuhreesha

• MY PRECIOUS...
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2011, 12:14:45 AM »

Haven't really been excited for The Hunger Games movie after they casted Katniss as white. ugh.

If the author described her as not-white then I didn't get it. I always thought of her white.

Also I really hope they don't do a movie SO different that it has no right to bear the name of the book.

Well, we know that she's half-white, at least. And they do that with almost all movies...D:
Narwhals vs. Unicorns?
Unicorns don't exist. End of discussion.
---------
See some of my Leviathan fan art here:
http://fellie220.deviantart.com/gallery/31743371

and some of my Leviathan one-shots here:
http://fanfiction.net/~Fuhreesha
---------
~ Westerforum's Resident Potato-Loving Chink ~

Seven

• Mad as a hatter!
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2011, 01:48:24 AM »

Well, we know that she's half-white, at least. And they do that with almost all movies...D:

I didn't know that. I only read the first one and after my brother spoiled the second two for me, I gave up on them. But I didn't know Katniss was biracial. Now I'm ticked off.

I wouldn’t mind if it was like Classic Disney, but yeah no Disney channel stars. That would just make the movie seem younger than I think the book actually is. And then adults would automatically categorize it as a kid’s movie. And yes, Pirates of the Caribbean effects would be awesome for Leviathan (minus the pirate theme, of course). Disney! :D

"Have you never thought of walking Tazza yourself?"

Dr. Barlow's eyes widened a bit. "What an odd suggestion."

"Mighty unsavory," her loris said.

kay101

• TORCHES
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2011, 02:18:29 AM »

Well, she has olive skin, because that is what a lot of the people in D 12 look like. I think the actress who plays Katniss looks a lot like her, plus J Lawrence is pretty tan, so I don't get what the problem is there.

Anyways, Levi movie, I would be a fan of live-action, and I may be in the minority, but I think a Tim Burton-esque film that really played up the machines and beasties would be seriously awesome.
Life is hard. After all, it kills you.
-Katherine Hepburn

"Bye Buddy, hope you find your dad!"
"Thanks Mr. Narwhal!"

"What a colossal exercise in idiocy."
-Alek, Goliath

You know whats wrong with you? Nothing.
-Audrey Hepburn, Charade

These pretzels are making me thirsty!
-Kramer, Seinfeld

Fuhreesha

• MY PRECIOUS...
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2011, 04:00:57 AM »

I agree that Lawrence looks the part of Katniss. And in the first book, they don't exactly mention that she's bi-racial, but one can assume, as her father is "Seam-colored" (darkish skinned and has grey eyes) while her mother is white and is blonde...so who knows?

And I wouldn't mind if Leviathan was a classic Disney movie either.  ;D (And definitely no Disney stars...:P)
Narwhals vs. Unicorns?
---------

---------

stephenmac7

« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2011, 04:14:27 AM »

It said she had the 'seam' look so... I always thought of her with white, yet almost-tanned looking skin. Then I thought of Rue with super-tanned skin but with absolutely no trace of black. Then Cinna... don't get me started on him... if you look at the casting... *Goes to the bathroom to vomit and comes back* What was I saying?

Fuhreesha

• MY PRECIOUS...
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2011, 04:17:20 AM »

In the books they said Rue was dark-skinned...but that's just your imagination, I assume. And Cinna was white... T_T
Narwhals vs. Unicorns?
---------

---------

kay101

• TORCHES
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2011, 04:32:09 AM »

In the books they said Rue was dark-skinned...but that's just your imagination, I assume. And Cinna was white... T_T
I don't think Cinna's race was ever defined, but I definitely didn't picture him as black. Gary Ross only chose Lenny Kravitz after seeing him in Precious. I don't really care, but I still think he is an odd choice.
Life is hard. After all, it kills you.
-Katherine Hepburn

"Bye Buddy, hope you find your dad!"
"Thanks Mr. Narwhal!"

"What a colossal exercise in idiocy."
-Alek, Goliath

You know whats wrong with you? Nothing.
-Audrey Hepburn, Charade

These pretzels are making me thirsty!
-Kramer, Seinfeld

Fuhreesha

• MY PRECIOUS...
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2011, 04:48:21 AM »

Ah, I see. But I'm sure in THG they mentioned he was light-skinned or something...I'm not sure. And I'm too lazy to go get my copy of it to check. XD
Narwhals vs. Unicorns?
---------

---------
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5