Scott Westerfeld Forum

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 18

Author Topic: Questions For Scott?  (Read 38841 times)

rayne-la

• i have an obsession with music and reading... :-D
Re: Questions For Scott?
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2010, 02:13:23 PM »

Ok I think this question has been bugging me since the first time I picked up one of your books:

How do you come up with such fantastical worlds and yet its all so original????

I mean your imagination must be insanely awesome!!!!!
"Order is the dream of humanity, but chaos is the law of nature." - (Anonymous)
Art. Does not. Read like a sentence.

Pedestrian

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2010, 12:56:34 AM »

In one of the other threads, Zombie asked a question about people getting surgery to change their sex, which made me wonder: How would people who are gay, lesbian, bisexual, or otherwise queer be treated in Tally's city, or in other places in the world of Uglies?  Thanks in advance.

I'm just quoting this for emphasis.

Also:
Why do you generally write science fiction?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 08:08:50 AM by Pedestrian »

scott_himself

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2010, 09:03:03 AM »

So, I'll be doing all the answers here, if that's okay with you guys.

<i>How does he do his world-building so well? The worlds of Uglies and Leviathan are just amazing!</i>

World-building is tricky. You have to watch the world around you, THIS one, all the time, and watch the way it all fits together. Arts, politics, technology, social stuff like who's friends with whom--and try to see what rules apply. That way, when you create your own world, you'll have an idea what makes sense.

(Speaking of which, does that answer make sense?)

James-chan

• The end of a legacy...
    • White Ridge Fire/Rescue
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2010, 09:05:39 AM »

it definetly makes sense. Scott, what does the oil spill in the Gulf remind you of?

For my Brothers. Because too many have forgotten.

**THE WESTERFORUM'S RESIDENT MOTHER TRUCKER**

Active member of the Scott Westerfeld Forum 2/28/10-8/2/11
I'm an Authentic Oldie. One of the Originals.

Mindcaster

• WRPG
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2010, 09:08:03 AM »

If you had to have one of your characters come to life and live in your house for the rest of your life who would it be and why?

scott_himself

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2010, 09:08:23 AM »

How do you feel when you go on tours and meet fans who are obsessed with your books? (Like me )

It's loads of fun, especially answering questions. A lot of the questions people ask might be the same, but someone always comes up with a new question or observation for me.

Would you ever like to try a different job, other than writing? Which one?

I think being a game designer would be cool. But I'd always write, even if it wasn't my job.

Do you like editing a novel? What is working with your editor like?

I like doing rewrites, and getting the almost right word to be the EXACTLY right word. My editor is really smart, and always seems to find the places I have a blind spot. It's like having someone give you good advice about anything else important. It's great as long as you trust them. (Otherwise, it just makes you more uncertain.)

scott_himself

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2010, 09:10:52 AM »

when will you do some touring in Aus?

I haven't done any big tours in Oz, but I do some school visits and bookstore appearances in Sydney, and some conferences in Melbourne and Brisbane. I've always wanted to do the Sydney Book festival. Where are YOU?

Nikki-La

• Bow Chicka Wow Wow
    • Facebook
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2010, 09:11:59 AM »

Whats the whole editing process???
You thought you knew this angel when you really released all the dark inside and set free the evil.

scott_himself

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2010, 09:12:23 AM »

how did you get your first book published?

I wrote a novel, then sent a query letter into an agency, and they asked to see the whole novel. They read it, and liked it! Then they handled the rest. That's the great thing about agents. Sending your work around is their problem, not yours.

Nikki-La

• Bow Chicka Wow Wow
    • Facebook
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2010, 09:13:15 AM »

how did you get your first book published?

I wrote a novel, then sent a query letter into an agency, and they asked to see the whole novel. They read it, and liked it! Then they handled the rest. That's the great thing about agents. Sending your work around is their problem, not yours.
Doesn't it cost though???
You thought you knew this angel when you really released all the dark inside and set free the evil.

scott_himself

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2010, 09:13:32 AM »

Did scott ever have a last name for Shay? or was it not important? if Shay did have one what was/is it?

Neither David or Shay have a last name in the books. A lot of my characters don't, it seems. Does that really bug you guys?

Nikki-La

• Bow Chicka Wow Wow
    • Facebook
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2010, 09:15:45 AM »

do you think we will ever reach the Reputation Society as you described it in Extras ?
i want 1

scott_himself

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2010, 09:18:11 AM »

<i>In one of the other threads, Zombie asked a question about people getting surgery to change their sex, which made me wonder: How would people who are gay, lesbian, bisexual, or otherwise queer be treated in Tally's city, or in other places in the world of Uglies?  Thanks in advance.</i>

Didn't I answer this? Anyway, I'm sure that Tally's city wouldn't have a problem with people being gay. They might have a thing against trans-gendered people, because they're into very specific definitions of who everyone is. But in Diego, I'm sure there would be lots of trans people of various kinds.

<i>Also: Why do you generally write science fiction? </i>

The simplest answer is: I like thinking about how the world could be different. It doesn't have to be the way we're all used to it, and for most of history, it wasn't. I mean, I have an older friend who's uncle was born a slave. In this country, not THAT long ago, people OWNED OTHER PEOPLE. How weird (and ***ed up) is that?

Almost everything we think of as normal was at one time considered bizarre, and vice versa. Science fiction is a way of exploring that idea.

scott_himself

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2010, 09:19:32 AM »

Scott, what does the oil spill in the Gulf remind you of?

Yeah, that IS a very nasty problem. The crazy thing is that no one knows how to stop it spilling out of that hole. (Or, at least, no one's SURE how to stop it yet.)

jess-la

• Stay strong for Fleem:D
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2010, 09:20:12 AM »

>Does that really bug you guys?<

nope :)
i did have an awesome picture of a cat i rescued to put here, but of course, ive got no idea how to put it up. >.<
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 18